Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Ok so recently my mind has been all negative. Like I'll take a simple normal thing like a "I'm out with friends" text from one of my friend and end up thing "oh well he/she is doing stuff without me. They must not like me. I'm a bad friend. They dont want to be around me anymore, if they say they do theyre just lying" and even thought I know its not true I'll end up feeling like its real and very true and get super sad over it. Everything end up like this, I can't stand it. Its like my brain is creating issues and negative thoughts and feeling.
Is this a sign of depression? I have it in my family. I made a appt to talk with my college counselor but its in two weeks (only time left) and this is driving me insane. :frown1:

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Do you have a walk-in clinic at your university health center? If so, you can go and explain what's going on (include that it's driving you crazy) and advise them of your family history. Maybe they can hook you up sooner with someone, like a staff psychiatrist, who can evaluate you and see if you might be a candidate from meds. I don't know what kind of counselor you have the appointment with, but it sounds like a good idea for you to talk to someone qualified on a regular basis, at least short-term.

When you say "recently", how long ago did this begin for you?

Ok so recently my mind has been all negative. Like I'll take a simple normal thing like a "I'm out with friends" text from one of my friend and end up thing "oh well he/she is doing stuff without me. They must not like me. I'm a bad friend. They dont want to be around me anymore, if they say they do theyre just lying" and even thought I know its not true I'll end up feeling like its real and very true and get super sad over it. Everything end up like this, I can't stand it. Its like my brain is creating issues and negative thoughts and feeling.
Is this a sign of depression? I have it in my family. I made a appt to talk with my college counselor but its in two weeks (only time left) and this is driving me insane. :frown1:

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Do you have a walk-in clinic at your university health center? If so, you can go and explain what's going on (include that it's driving you crazy) and advise them of your family history. Maybe they can hook you up sooner with someone, like a staff psychiatrist, who can evaluate you and see if you might be a candidate from meds. I don't know what kind of counselor you have the appointment with, but it sounds like a good idea for you to talk to someone qualified on a regular basis, at least short-term.

When you say "recently", how long ago did this begin for you?

No walk-in anythings at my university >_>

well ive had mini version of this before that last like a few days then faded, but this has been going on for like 2 weeks or so

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that when they evaluate symptoms of depression the time period they look for is two weeks or more.

Is this interfering with your school work or your normal social life?

Where does a student who has a health emergency go to get medical attention on your campus?

No walk-in anythings at my university >_>

well ive had mini version of this before that last like a few days then faded, but this has been going on for like 2 weeks or so

AustinTX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know exactly how you feel. Efexor XL helped me alot. Taken at night and also helps you with your sleep. Difficulty in getting to sleep often is a problem with depression, so you get a 2 for 1. There is a generic also, Venalfaxine, and is much cheaper. Talk to your doctor ASAP and be totally honest about how you are feeling. You are not alone!

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I think that when they evaluate symptoms of depression the time period they look for is two weeks or more.

Is this interfering with your school work or your normal social life?

Where does a student who has a health emergency go to get medical attention on your campus?

school, not really Ive always been pretty lack lust bout that..social life yes, I'm scared its gonna effect my friendships beyond repair

they dial 911 X_X stupid school

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I know exactly how you feel. Efexor XL helped me alot. Taken at night and also helps you with your sleep. Difficulty in getting to sleep often is a problem with depression, so you get a 2 for 1. There is a generic also, Venalfaxine, and is much cheaper. Talk to your doctor ASAP and be totally honest about how you are feeling. You are not alone!

Did all the negative feelings stop with that meds? .. I'm scared meds will change me..like personality wise..I was on ADD meds for a while, I was so not myself

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
You can discuss these concerns with a qualified professional, but no, I don't think that medication will change your personality. You might feel happier, or at least less bad, but that's a change in mood, not personality.

You may not even need meds. That's why it's helpful to have an evaluation.

Did all the negative feelings stop with that meds? .. I'm scared meds will change me..like personality wise..I was on ADD meds for a while, I was so not myself

AustinTX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There are some anti-depressants that have difficult side effects and your doctor, should he/she decide to perscribe one, will tell you what to expect. If they don't the ASK! The kick in period is usually 2 to 3 weeks and you will notice you have those "feelings" less and less over time. There is no personality change. Just a happier you!

DevonTexas

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Have you had any traumatic events recently? Even small ones. Or something that could have reminded you of one that happened years ago. I know how you feel, I get those triggered from time to time when I'm either stressed, feeling displaced or maybe not even exercising. I used to let guilt plan my mood for the day. I'm so over that now, took some time and mental training. :)

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Have you had any traumatic events recently? Even small ones. Or something that could have reminded you of one that happened years ago. I know how you feel, I get those triggered from time to time when I'm either stressed, feeling displaced or maybe not even exercising. I used to let guilt plan my mood for the day. I'm so over that now, took some time and mental training. :)

Not that I remember...

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Well I'm not a loner and recently (back this summer) have became alone for several reason, mostly a back stabbing friend and my best friend having to move back home... then like 3 or so weeks ago this came about, then its pretty much a downward spiral. Even tho he handle its really well, completely fine actually, and told me he doesn't want a relationship with anyone and that nothing could hurt us, I myself have been feeling really awkward about it. Like were usually touchy feely (like we lay on each other as I am a very touchy feely person) and I loved that about our friendship, but after ^ that even I lay on him and it just feels so awkward for me my first reflex is to jump off.. and I came stand that, even now I'm crying just thinking about it...

Last edited:

Denverbearmark

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe situational depression, but good to keep the counseling appointment no matter how you feel. Self talk can spiral out of control easily, but can be redirected. A book that helped me alot is Mind over Mood. When I first decided I was depressed, my health plan required a mental health appointment. They normally want to do group work, but I hate being in group work situations--I tend to lead them--unless the official leader is very skilled--and then I tend to shut down in them--a personal thing for me. So my counselor required me to get and work through the book, so I could continue to get my meds. I am glad he did, it has helped often.

I have done the prozac route, but tend to cycle on and off alternating with SaME and St. John's wort every couple of years. With meds it is important to keep trying until you find the right one and right dose--and for some that changes over time.

Good luck with the work and know that many have been in similar situation and have found their way out and into a happier more normal life!

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Before you go on meds, there are a few other remedies to try which I have found help me to depend less on my meds:

1) Tea and coffee. Giving yourself a jolt and also pampering yourself in other ways tells you on a very deep corporeal level that you are loved.

2) Cinnamon, aromatherapy herbs. Pamper your nose and your taste buds too.

3) Amber. For some reason wearing a piece of amber jewelry or simply carrying a hunk of amber in my pocket changes my electromagnetic field significantly.

4) the habit of smiling. Just having your face in that shape automatically releases pleasure endorphins in your brain so try to get your face 'stuck' that way.

5) rolling your eyes. This is a neurolinguistic programming 'reset' trick. Rolling the eyes in a full circle, in both directions, changes your thought pattern completely so you can more easily 're-think' if you have an unsettling mental rut.

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Before you go on meds, there are a few other remedies to try which I have found help me to depend less on my meds:

1) Tea and coffee. Giving yourself a jolt and also pampering yourself in other ways tells you on a very deep corporeal level that you are loved.

2) Cinnamon, aromatherapy herbs. Pamper your nose and your taste buds too.

3) Amber. For some reason wearing a piece of amber jewelry or simply carrying a hunk of amber in my pocket changes my electromagnetic field significantly.

4) the habit of smiling. Just having your face in that shape automatically releases pleasure endorphins in your brain so try to get your face 'stuck' that way.

5) rolling your eyes. This is a neurolinguistic programming 'reset' trick. Rolling the eyes in a full circle, in both directions, changes your thought pattern completely so you can more easily 're-think' if you have an unsettling mental rut.
these sound interesting, what type of meds do u take?

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Paroxetine. It was about four years before I found a med that worked properly. And even then there are side effects at the higher dose I used to take. Meds is something for those whose mental condition is the result of inherited brain chemical imbalance. They are often used by doctors as a 'quick fix' for small bouts of depression, but in my case I had an undiagnosed imbalance since childhood. Hopefully you are not going to need to rely on meds.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
then like 3 or so weeks ago this came about, then its pretty much a downward spiral. Even tho he handle its really well, completely fine actually, and told me he doesn't want a relationship with anyone and that nothing could hurt us, I myself have been feeling really awkward about it. Like were usually touchy feely (like we lay on each other as I am a very touchy feely person) and I loved that about our friendship, but after ^ that even I lay on him and it just feels so awkward for me my first reflex is to jump off.. and I came stand that, even now I'm crying just thinking about it...

I just went to the link to the other thread. It sounds like you have some kinds of unconscious issues that are keeping you from enjoying your new relationship. When you don't know exactly why you are unhappy, this is often what's going on.

Try to dream them out into your conscious mind so you can think them through. That means when you go to bed, remind yourself what you'd like to work on in your dream life and to remember it in the morning. Have paper ready to write it down before it slips away. Good luck.

HairyTXdude

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
New relationship? If your talking about the guy I'm seeing I'm not worried about that, if it doesn't work out then oh well it happens, I just care about my Best Friend, he's the one I can't loose

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
New relationship? If your talking about the guy I'm seeing I'm not worried about that, if it doesn't work out then oh well it happens, I just care about my Best Friend, he's the one I can't loose

I DO understand what you're saying about your best friend. I think it's one of the hardest experiences of life especially at a young age. There's something about deep friendship that seems to outlast romantic relationships at certain times in our lives. What I've found really helpful is at some point to talk with your best friend in a more quiet and relaxed situation. Express your feelings and see what happens. I know it's something that may seem extremely difficult, but it's the best way to know if you're both on the same page. Many times people hurt each other without even knowing they're doing it. All the best.