Dept. of Homeland Security and name profiling

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Dec 26, 2009.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

The computer system at the Internal Revenue Service is programmed to identify 'red flags' that may pinpoint tax filers that may be candidates for tax fraud or tax evasion. This practice is, perhaps, questioned by some, but by most counts is universally accepted.

Yesterday, Abdul Mudallad - a Muslim from Nigeria - attempted to ignite an explosive on a Northwest aircraft landing in Detroit. Mudallad arrived in Detroit via Nigeria to Amsterdam and then Amsterdam to Detroit.

He was on at least one 'terrorist watch list.' From the information I have viewed, he was a 23 year-old Muslim from Nigeria that was not a student at a U.S. University.

With a $47 billion budget for the Homeland Security Dept, it seems somewhat perplexing that a non-U.S. student, 23-yr old Muslim from Nigeria that has documented ties to Yemen and is on a watch list - would precipitate a fair amount of scrutiny when he popped up onto a passenger log entering the U.S.

NPR: Details on Obama's Budget

The issue of profiling, indeed, is a touchy one. Unfortunately, some take 'profiling' to mean the elimination of Islam (as it relates to terrorist profiling.) The sad fact is that many terrorist and hate groups hijack and misuse the Islamic religion in order to perpetrate their acts of violence - when in reality Islam is a peaceful religion.

When it is acceptable for the IRS to 'profile' tax returns, is it naive to expect the Homeland Security dept. to be able to connect an airline passenger to a terrorist watch list? Particularly with that budget? No red flag there?

It doesn't seem that a 23 year old Muslim from Nigeria, that is not coming here to study and is on at least one 'watch list' should be difficult to screen with a $47 billion budget.

Note: This in no way is an indictment of the Islam religion, Muslims or any other minority or religious group. This is a question from a taxpayer wondering where the $47 billion in Homeland Security funds are going if we cannot perform due diligence on someone who has had terrorist ties for at least 2 years and almost killed 300 people on a U.S. based airliner.

Surely our technology/software can identify a red flag on a passenger list if the archaic and discombobulated IRS can easily identify red flags.

Islam is a peaceful religion and all people should be treated the same. However, it seems fair to expect that terrorist suspects would get additional levels of screening and background checking [with a $47 billion Homeland Security budget] so as to avoid the potential deaths of hundreds of innocent people.

Happy holidays all, good to be back!:smile:

2. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

although I don't accept your characterization of Islam (the texts themselves, history and current events do not enable concurrence),
    nor do I feel that subscription to that ideology should be ignored, to allow either travel or immigration, the rest of your post is on point

from the reportage I've read, he was, in fact on the Muslim terrorist lists, but for some reason, he was deemed to not be an "aviation threat"

deeply disturbing, and bizarre to say the least

#2 B_Nick4444, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. houtx48

Gold Member

are you sure it was 47 billion or is it true if you just say it over and over?

4. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Report: plane-bomb suspect banker's son

The man suspected of trying to blow up a Northwest flight from Amsterdam to Detroit is the son of a Nigerian bank chairman and former government official, Nigerian press outlets reported Saturday.
    Nigerian daily This Day reported that the suspect, Abdul Farouk Umar Abdulmutallab, 23, is the son of a former head of Nigeria's First Bank PLC, Alhaji Umaru Mutallab. The elder Mutallab, who is a prominent businessman in Nigeria, resigned this month as head of the bank. His former government role is unclear but he also once headed the Nigerian-Arab Chamber of Commerce. The reported family tie may have originated at another Nigerian news site, Huhuonline.com.......

Report: plane-bomb suspect banker's son - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

5. Bodaddio

Bodaddio Member

6. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

Islam is a "peaceful" religion ????

Yeah right...........

LOL

Political Correct Liberal needs to live under oppressive, sexist, racist, apartheid Islamic Regimes to see themselves.

Ban all theocracies worldwide, enough is enough for these holier than thou hypocrites committing crimes against humanity.

7. sargon20

Gold Member

Ohhh my Gawd look what the car dragged in.

8. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

That's right... beat your chest for the second most violent religion on the world as if that makes you "better". And last time I checked, the zealousness of religion has its grasp firmly on BOTH parties. So don't just blame the "politically correct liberal"... also blame the equally "blind, gut-feeling conservative" as well. Which one are you?

Spirituality saves... religion kills. Too bad you're too partisan to figure that shit out. :rolleyes:

9. nudeyorker

Gold Member

First of all star, welcome back. In terms of the subject I think it's a simple matter that Homeland Security does not know what the hell they are doing. Janet Napolitano was on the new this morning and I have never heard such inept gibberish. My other half has a friend who is retired from Homeland Security and last week over drinks he said "Watch close, travel safely something is about to happen." I find it incredible that someone retired is privy to the information that Ms Napolitano said she was completely unaware of. Furthermore I don't know what kind of a rocket scientist it takes to put someone on a no fly list considering that the bombers father reported his fears to the authorities.
    The news is ripe with the fact that many countries have lack luster security compared to the US and many other country's... Here is a thought, re-screen those people (in the next airport) based on the country of the origin of their flight if they have inadequate security measures.
    After 9/11 I was flying quite often and I the blonde jew with the Louis Vuitton over night bag got picked for additional screening 9 times out of 10. I'm in favor of a little more profiling when it comes to safety.

10. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Well, at least we have at least one intelligent neocon on this site.

Welcome back, Mr. Investor.

11. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

It's a not about NEO CON or LIBERAL thing............

It's ABOUT COMMON SENSE folks...........

C'mon

Islam is religion of peace NOT !

Any religions and cults that don't believe in EQUAL RIGHTS and believe and bless persecution on others who don't support and believe their cults

should be banned outright..........

How can we have those VATICAN GUYS telling our Congress about our Health Care and abortion policies and also SAME SEX MARRIAGE ban.....

Vatican is sovereign nation, go to hell with Vatican, we can't let them to tell us how should we govern and make our Laws.

ISLAM is sick cult.............

Enough said.

12. D_Fortumus Wigglesack

People who believe Islam isn't a peaceful religion don't seem to realize that many of our important trading partners such as malaysia and Indonesia - the worlds largest Muslim country with 220 million people - are very peaceful countries. The US has a very unattractive history of interfering in middle eastern politics in FAVOR of more fascist regimes simply because they provide favorable policies for us. Incidentally, all those terrorists come from the middle east and not the other (larger) Muslim countries.

Not that I'm defending these people in any way whatsoever, but don't attack a religion for something that's completely political. Christianity is responsible for far more deaths than 9/11

13. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Amen, Nudey

14. captain garbonzo

captain garbonzo New Member

Al Qaeda groups have infiltrated many Islamic countries in the last 10 years, including Indonesia. Open your eyes.

As far as Christianity, who cares? That's in the past. Right now, Islamic fascism is the greatest threat to world peace and human rights. Get it? I suppose we should just let them have their way because christians have done so in the past? Amazing how many of you feel that Christianity is the real evil and you defend Islam when someone says that Islam is not a peaceful religion. You people need to learn some common sense and stop being so blatantly biased.

It's a war of cultures, not politics as they claim- that's just an excuse. Frankly, I could care less what the real reason is. I don't want those fuckers invading or killing anyone or subjecting more women and children to their caveman culture than already have been. The world is getting smaller and there is no room for Islamic fascism ....But they're coming whether we like it or not, regardless of what our policies are.

15. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

No it's not. It's very much in the current.
    Or have you not been paying attention to what's been going on in Uguanda?

16. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Lordy.... single day event vs. thousands of years. Most of which where... well, over a thousand years ago. Nice analogy.

How many Christian priests in the last hundred years have called for deaths to infidels and non-Christians?

17. B_lrgeggs

B_lrgeggs New Member

I believe that 99.9 % of Muslims are peace-loving people. It's that .01% who are the radicals. Unfortunetly, with over 1.5 billion Muslims in the world...that still a lot of dangerious people going around.

18. midlifebear

Gold Member

Starinvestor: Your back? What? They finally let you out of prison? Have you checked to see if your name is on any terrorist lists? Just sayin'.

19. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    With rare flashes in a precious few others, agreed. Although there are some conservatives I rather like.

Nice to see you, star.

20. B_ccc888

B_ccc888 New Member

What an ignorant statement.............

Islam is the most intolerant, selfish, racist, sexist and evil cult founded by pedophile war monger.

Muslims annihilate other Muslims just they belong to different sects so they will do to non Muslims.

Those who you believe as "peaceful" Muslims are "liberals" who will stay silently when the radicals do horrendous things in the name of Allah because they're afraid to be called as infidels themselves by siding with reasons and common sense.

It's time to abolish this evil cult and all other religious beliefs.

Time to free humanity from intolerance and ignorance in the name of God and faiths.

Draft saved Draft deleted