Deputy Pushes Man off Wheelchair...

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That was my point. She's an executive officer, not part of the judiciary. She was making a judgement that should have been reserved for the courts... and she did it in a fairly rough manner.

My point is that she is due no fairness, nor benefit of the doubt.

I hope the guy becomes a multi millionaire from this incident.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In fairness to the deputy, I understand that the guy was arrested for failing to pay speeding fines. If he can drive then I can understand why she thought he might be faking his condition. Nonetheless, she not the judiciary.

I really don't know what defines a quadriplegic, but I sure don't know any who can drive.

Here is the funny part of this whole thing.

The violation that got him arrested was a warrant for failing to appear on a ticket that he got for "evading the police". Since he got a ticket, he didn't evade them obviously. His lawyer is suing for that one as well.

As for the quadripalegic part, CNN defined him as having limited use of his hands. His car is fitted with hand paddles for driving. If I understand this definition correctly, he can probably push, pull, and do some other limited hand functions, but probably has problems effectively gripping things like pens and pencils.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

The violation that got him arrested was a warrant for failing to appear on a ticket that he got for "evading the police". Since he got a ticket, he didn't evade them obviously. His lawyer is suing for that one as well.

As for the quadripalegic part, CNN defined him as having limited use of his hands. His car is fitted with hand paddles for driving. If I understand this definition correctly, he can probably push, pull, and do some other limited hand functions, but probably has problems effectively gripping things like pens and pencils.

Driving is dangerous. I would never call anyone who can drive a quadriplegic.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
A good friend of mine is a quad. He drives a specialized van that has hand controls and a ramp for loading his wheelchair. He does this without assistance.

An observation: this is the first time I've seen a 'sagger' in a wheelchair.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A good friend of mine is a quad..

Are you sure he's just not a "square".:wink:

I don't think that people who can drive should be labeled as "quads". There is a lot more involved in driving such as turning your neck to see what is going on. My idea of a quadripegic is Christopher Reeves.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
In fairness to the deputy, I understand that the guy was arrested for failing to pay speeding fines. If he can drive then I can understand why she thought he might be faking his condition. Nonetheless, she not the judiciary.

I really don't know what defines a quadriplegic, but I sure don't know any who can drive.
Specialized hand controls.

Thanks for explaining.
A good friend of mine is a quad. He drives a specialized van that has hand controls and a ramp for loading his wheelchair. He does this without assistance.

An observation: this is the first time I've seen a 'sagger' in a wheelchair.
Perhaps they placed him in that one from his one he can move in.. it looks like a standard hospital wheel chair.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks for explaining.

You are most welcome. :wink:

Perhaps they placed him in that one from his one he can move in.. it looks like a standard hospital wheel chair.

And this is another part I can't understand. From talking to a buddy of mine who was wondering how these idiots managed to mismanage this whole thing, most major metro police stations have the point of drop off right next to or within sight range of the booking desk. If the man was transported in a cruiser, they would have seen the officers pull him out of the car and situate him in the wheelchair. At the very least, the arresting officer would have told the recieving officer that the prisoner was handicapped as that would make a difference where and how he is placed in the jail.

What this comes down to is a group of power hungry cops getting their authority on and very blatantly violating this man's civil rights. If there is justice, these four will go to jail and end up in a community cell with anybody else they have abused in the name of the law.

Hope they don't drop the soap.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

Quadriplegia, also known as tetraplegia, is a symptom in which a human experiences paralysis affecting all four limbs, although not necessarily total paralysis or loss of function.​
It is caused by damage to the brain or the spinal cord cut at a high level - in particular spinal cord injuries secondary to an injury to the cervical spine. The injury causes victims to lose partial or total mobility of all four limbs, meaning the arms and the legs. Severity depends on which cervical vertebra is injured and the extent of the injury. An individual with an injury to C1 (the highest cervical vertebra) will likely be paralyzed and lose function from the neck down and be ventilator dependent. An individual with a C7 injury will likely be paralyzed and lose function from the chest down but still retain use of the arms and much of their hands. The extent of the injury is also important. A complete severing of the spine will result in complete loss of function from that vertebra down.​
Now you do! Basically - C1 to C7 spinal injury.

I know a large number of quadriplegics who drive - about 6 or 7 I can think of off the top of my head and probably another 20 or so if I were to ask around. In fairness I know a great many disabled people because of a family connection. Any disabled person who can drive (often an adapted vehicle) will because of the freedom it gives them that they otherwise wouldn't have.

Exactly.

Driving is dangerous. I would never call anyone who can drive a quadriplegic.

It really doesn't matter what you call them - the definition is medical - if a doctor says someone is quadriplegic and is safe to drive (an adapted vehicle if necessary) then that person is quadriplegic and is safe to drive.

Are you sure he's just not a "square".:wink:

I don't think that people who can drive should be labeled as "quads". There is a lot more involved in driving such as turning your neck to see what is going on. My idea of a quadripegic is Christopher Reeves.

Your idea of quadriplegia is silly and non-medical - it is a not a random term and it is not up to a layman to define it as 'somebody paralysed and in a chair, like - defnitely not a driver'. If a doctor says a person is safe to drive, with or without modification to the vehicle, then that person is as entitled to drive as you.

You might as well say that people who wear glasses should be stopped from driving because their glasses might slip off their noses.

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'd like to put those cops on public display and shame them. I can't believe whose assholes could be so insensitive.

I hope the victim sues the ass of the cops, the police chief, the county and anyone else they can.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My point is that she is due no fairness, nor benefit of the doubt.

I hope the guy becomes a multi millionaire from this incident.

Point one-If you want him to be shown full fairness then she is entitled to the same. Unless you were there, you do not know what she saw. Perhaps his legs twitched and she did not understand that even though he is unable to walk on the legs, neurons within may still be shooting out signals causing involuntary twitches and muscles which may be heavily atrophied could indeed, in concert with the nerve endings be causing spasms of their own. None of this excuses her inappropriate behavior of dumping him out; it does however speak to why she may have thought him to be acting in a fraudulent manner. Most people are woefully ignorant on medical matters. That aside, there is never a reason to dump anyone out of a wheelchair or off of a stretcher or treat in any other way inhumanely-even if he had been faking, the result of the dumping could have been head trauma or a broken arm or wrist.

Point two-A lawsuit is not going to do a darned thing except make some ambulance chasing attorney wealthy. The majority of these cases, go back and forth within the legal system for years, with the alleged victim often heading to their grave, never having collected a cent.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The deputy responsible has not only turned herself in, but her lawyer did the tour of network morning shows and after seeing this guy handle things the only question I had was this:

Was her lawyer someone she busted on a drug charge?

This guy was a disaster. When asked if he thought his client was innocent, he answered yes. When shown the videotape and asked what he saw, he says "I see a man falling out of a wheelchair." He refused to acknowledge his client on the tape visibly pushing the chair. His last words? "My client will NOT plead guilty to this and we feel this is a completely defensible case."

All I can say is WOW! Maybe he'll get cut a break and Judge Hook will be hearing the case and Peter Pan will draw the case as the Prosecutor.

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd like to put those cops on public display and shame them. I can't believe whose assholes could be so insensitive.

I hope the victim sues the ass of the cops, the police chief, the county and anyone else they can.
yeah, that cop's not gonna be around for too much longer, and some sort of serious lawsuit will surely come of this...

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yeah, that cop's not gonna be around for too much longer, and some sort of serious lawsuit will surely come of this...

The deputies have been fired, one has turned herself in and is in jail awaiting trial. The man in the wheelchair has at least two suits filed. Wrongful arrest and the damage suit against the county. I think that is a civil liberties suit if I am recalling correctly.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
The deputies have been fired, one has turned herself in and is in jail awaiting trial. The man in the wheelchair has at least two suits filed. Wrongful arrest and the damage suit against the county. I think that is a civil liberties suit if I am recalling correctly.
Well that's some good news.