Description of frat initiation

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by B_henry miller, Oct 7, 2008.

1. B_henry miller

B_henry miller New Member

I thought some might be interested in this strange, and sad, description of a frat initiation. It can be found in the book GUYLAND: THE PERILIOUS WORLD WHERE BOYS BECOME MEN

Amazon.com: Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men: Michael Kimmel: Books

The pledges are told to strip naked and stand in a straight line, one behind the other (which is hard enough given how much they have had to drink). Each pledge is ordered to reach his right hand between his legs to the pledge standing behind him and grab that guy's penis, then place his left hand on the shoulder of the guy in front of him. (You have to bend over to make this work.) Forming a circle, they walk around the basement for several minutes, in what is known as the "elephan walk." By now it is nearly 2 a.m. "Okay, you worthless pieces of shit," the pledge master screams, "Now let's see if you're willing to give it all to the brotherhood!"

Still naked, the pledges stumble to the second-floor balcony of the house. The brothers measure out lengths of rope, and a cinderblock is tied to the end of each, so that it almost -- but not quite -- touches the ground. The pledges are blindfolded as the other ends of the ropes are tied to the base of each pledge's penis. "You better have a big enough dick, pledge," the pledgemaster shouts. "If your dick isn't big enough, you aren't getting into this house. This block is gonna rip it the fuck of of your body! How do you like that, you little weenies. Our dicks made it! Is yours big enough?"

Each pledge feels a little tug on his rope, and then hears hte cinderblocks being lifted up to the edge of the balcony. The next thing he knows, he feels a sharp tug and hears the cinderblock being pushed off the edge and crashing to the ground below. One guy screams and starts to cry. Another pisses. Blindfolds are removed and the brothers are laughing their heads off. Turns out the ropes were not really tied to these blocks after all. They embrace their new "brothers," and it is over. Jason has made it.

2. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    The elephant walk seems to be a much bigger phenomenon in the U.K. than they U.S. Anyone on this board from the U.K. ever been / been involved in an elephant walk? It's a straight guy thing from what I understand. Would like to hear it explained more. Not sure what the purpose it. It isn't always forced humiliation -- I've seen pics / vids of where it was done willingly.

3. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    The "elephant walk" is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many other types of initiation rites both for frat houses and college sport teams.

4. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    I recall vividly this same sort of thing i went through when pledging my frat.
    As I was raised a prince and was arrogant and would have nothing to do with anything that was displeasing I had a different approach to the frat thing.
    All the other pledges (and actual frat members) had no sense of entitlement or presence of mind to say "this is horse shit. fuck you.". They were every one, so desperate to be accepted that they would do anything. And the ones that were brothers, for whatever reason found it exhilerating to torment the new pledges, just as they were.
    I was asked to pledge since I would have been a big catch for the frat. I thought the brothers were ill bred, badly behaved wanna be(s). I thought it would be interesting to see how all of this would go so I pledged. They gave all of their weird orders and if it didn't work for me I simply told them so and refused and went on about my life.
    All the other guys in pledge class were all like "ohhh - you can't do that" w/e. I was like 'watch me'. and when the entire pledge class was shitting their pants and crying i illegally put them up in my dorm in the common area that i comandeered as a guest suite under the grounds of a 'class project for sociology' to the hot girl RA.
    I was very well aware of the pledge process and what would be tried and was not at all alarmed and laughed at each new thing they tried.
    This pissed them off.
    SO - they separated me from the pledge class that I had clearly become leader of (and had encouraged to be unruly), literally had me kidnapped, and dumped 2 miles outside of boston at 4 a.m.
    I was having none of it. I called for a cab.
    The following day I related this incident to my father and under threat of massive law suits and all kinds of charges, i could have owned the fucking college. The short of it is that on initiation night I knew what would happen and said "fuck you" and refused to participate. The other guys ended up being whiney ass titty babies and went through the horrible, degrading initiation and were so traumatized that every one of them quit the frat. LOL.
    I think that it is very rare to be able to get into a frat that is not run by degenerate, psycholigically impaired people. If I started a frat, it would be harder to get into than skull and bones. Anway - i think its bull shit to tell someone "i will treat you like shit, if you do that, then you will be accepted." Fuck THAT!!!

5. deepdick

deepdick New Member

Albums:
    Hmm, do other people find you annoying?

6. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes deepdick. nearly everyone. Good of you to notice.

7. B_henry miller

B_henry miller New Member

Who was this directed toward?

8. thereisalight

thereisalight New Member

Goodwood, your story should be shared with anyone who wanted -- but avoided -- pledging a fraternity. My brother's fraternity was the prototype of a demoralizing, socially-twisted, antagonistic group of students who were also considered the BMOC. My family and friends constantly asked "Why aren't you going to pledge his fraternity?" My standard reply -- "because I don't want (nor do I need) them to dictate my actions and behaviors especially if that includes humiliating myself and being subjected to unreal levels of peer-pressure."

I'm sure several of you are grumbling with thoughts of "you just don't understand the true benefits of fraternity brotherhood." Most fraternities are probably not that way but I took my chances by not pledging, was socially active, had strong GPA, and landed a good job.

(My brother's frat was placed on probation, the house was condemned, they all became bitter enemies, and -- eventually -- the frat was dissolved at that college.)

9. LuvMensCocks

LuvMensCocks New Member

Deepdick, He truely had a face only a mother could love. With an attitude like that, It's obvious he is a mommies boy. Bet you whoever he dates must have mommies approval.

10. 8060

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    "They" tried to come for me to pledge when I went to college. No way I would've participated in something like that...for networking purposes or brotherhood of whatever. It's one of the dumbest games that I've ever seen. Then to be in an environment where developing original thought is key and to be subjected to that kind of littleness...oh no, not my style.

I would roll down to State to watch the stepshow though. That's about the hypeness I see with fraternities.

11. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Deepdick, He truely had a face only a mother could love. With an attitude like that, It's obvious he is a mommies boy. Bet you whoever he dates must have mommies approval.
    Luvmenscocks- My attitude simply indicates my complete and utter lack of tolerating unaccetable bull shit. I can assure I am not a mommies boy. I date only the women that meet MY approval and in fact I seldom if ever introduce anyone I am dating to my parents because I am not close with them and their input regarding my personal life is irrelevant to me or anyone I date.

Thereisalight - thank you for your post.

12. B_Gravedancer

B_Gravedancer New Member

Frats are SO gay. Gayest places on any campus.

13. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Good on you Goodwood for having the balls to say FUCK THAT SHIT.
    If only most of my peers had the courage to do the same.
    Frats only encourge the childish clique rot to continue longer than it would other wise.
    Dragonfly.

14. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Regarding the frat initiation - what happened to me happened the night before the actual 'cross over'. I had been briefed by a sorority girl who knew what the actual intitiation would involve.
    Of course I refused to participate. My poor pledge brothers agreed to the whole thing and ended up stripped naked, face down, blindfolded, bound, in some farm field in vermont at three am with no clothing, cash or credit cards, cell phone or lap top and how to get back to Boston?
    How anyone thinks this will somehow forge a lifelong friendship is beyond my scope of comprehension.
    'Surprisingly' the frat (because of my intolerance of their insane bull shit and the publicity I brought to it) was shut down and all of the boys in it never spoke to each other again.

15. whattheduck

whattheduck New Member

frats do some bad stuff but i have never heard of that before, and nothing like that ever happened to be when i pledged. a lot of it is myth made up to scare pledges.

16. oldriver

oldriver New Member

Good for you, goodwood. I enrolled at a college in my junior year, solely based on the national reputation of one of their sports teams, and thought I wanted to play that sport on a national level before moving on to the pros. Then I discovered that, to "qualify" for their NCAA championship team, I had to drop my pants, get paddled on my ass by upperclassmen, then have my head shaved, painted green, then go to class for 3 or 4 weeks with a bald, green head.

I never even dropped my pants, finished that semester with a full head of natural hair, and told the team "goodbye." I have done pretty well ever since without them.

Glad to meet someone else with principles, my friend!

17. LuvMensCocks

LuvMensCocks New Member

It was a choice you made to join up, Sounds like you get off on your power trips. Look at me, I got a frat closed down. Bet mommie would be proud, That is before you told a lie to get her arrested because you did'nt put up with her bullshit. What a tool you are.

18. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Luvmenscocks -

You of course are entitled to your thoughts on this matter and my handling of it.
    I have no idea of what you reference about telilng a lie about my mother to get her arrested. What is THAT about?
    Your attacks against me are unwarranted, unnecessary and most unwelcome.
    Go join a frat or something.

19. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oldriver -
    good for you. good for you. What a crock of shit that anyone would think you should have to do that. Happy you did not succumb.

20. Shawn777

Shawn777 New Member

The purpose of fraternity initiations and pledge cycles isn't necessarily to degrade you, it's to bring you and your pledges together as humans who have shared similar crises and therefore can connect on levels beyond normal acquantances.

How the entire fraternity becomes a brotherhood is to be aware that the older brothers have gone through the same thing as you.

To say, "I don't want to do this" is your decision but it kinda ruins the point of having equal experiences. And I know no one at USC would ever let Goodwood do what they did to the fraternity in terms of not participating. You either participate in all events or you don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted