Designer Underwear Online

jerkitout

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Just doing a bit of research so bear with...

1)Have you ever bought your undies online?
2)If you could buy one other item at the same time as your undies, be it online or in-store, what would it be?
2)Has your GF/Wife/Partner ever bought you undies online?
3)Do you consider underwear an important part of your fashion tastes?
4)Do you think Underwear Models are gimmicky/seedy or are good marketing tools? (David Beckham as an example of reviving briefs)

Thanks in advance for any feedback :smile:

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
1) Yes
2) Anything. Doesn't matter. It's general merchandise.
3) No girlfriend/SO
4) No. Function over fashion.
5) Gimmicky, but they do show the general fit of the underpants. The specific model is irrelevant...they're nothing more than a living clothes hanger. Knowing the size/shape/fit of the pouch is important when trying something new, but that does not require a live model, per se.

Last edited:
D

deleted724068

1)Have you ever bought your undies online? Yes
2)If you could buy one other item at the same time as your undies, be it online or in-store, what would it be? more clothes
2)Has your GF/Wife/Partner ever bought you undies online? yes
3)Do you consider underwear an important part of your fashion tastes? yes, waistband is always important as i always have it showing above me jeans etc
4)Do you think Underwear Models are gimmicky/seedy or are good marketing tools? (David Beckham as an example of reviving briefs) yes, no model has influenced my decision to buy underwear but yes, i do like looking at underwear model like david beckham, ronaldo etc but for a difference reason ;)

Blorkin

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
1) Yes
2) Time
3) Nope
4) No, I buy designer underwear because I find that it is much more comfortable, is of a better quality, and lasts longer than non-designer brand
5) They are a great marketing tool. The phrase "sex sells" is completely true. Now does this influence my decision to buy there underwear? No it does not, but being that I am a business minor I can appreciate a good well thought out million/billion dollar marketing strategy/budget.

jerkitout

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Guys -

Do you think that 'sex sells' is effective as a marketing tool for underwear? Regardless of the target market being gay, straight, male, female?

What has persuaded to shop with a certain website over others?

(btw, this is research for my own shop so please be completely honest :) )

redneckgymrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am a statistical outlier, so for me, sex doesn't sell anything. It's relevant, only so far as the model models the garment.

For many, sex does indeed sell. My presumption is that each manufacturer will make their own advertising media available to their retailers, so you'll have a ready source of imagery. It'll be consistent in style, well produced, and probably "sexy," so use it. Even if sex sells to only one additional person, that's one additional customer...rejoice, and be glad.

As to the other, once I know what I want, I search for the best price or value available. yeah, it is that simple. Since you'll be a new retailer, reputation won't be a consideration...work, though, to establish your reputation. I'm often willing to spend (a little) more with a well establshed reputable retailer.

And, frankly, it's not just about fetish-worthy exotic options...if I could find something like tighty-whitey briefs that had a proper pouch, I'd be a very happy camper. Consider a value priced house-brand, filling this need. Not everyone wants to be *forced* into $30/pair exotic choices, just because of an accidental genetic blessing.

Last edited:

Blorkin

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Well you need to figure out your target audience. I feel sex does sell but what is most important is quality. I am currently taking a marketing class so if I find out anything helpful I will post it. What you are going to want to do first is build a reputation, I would recommend having great customer service (zappos.com was an example our textbook gave). Try looking a freshpair.com's policies for inspiration. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to spread your product. Also it allows you to keep customers coming back. Next you want good quality shit. If you product sucks and falls apart then no one will want it no mater how good it looks. Good Luck. Also what is your shop's site??

BigGlansDC

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
1)Have you ever bought your undies online? Yes, especially if the brand/model is not readily available in stores.

2)If you could buy one other item at the same time as your undies, be it online or in-store, what would it be? Sporting goods, although last Friday I purchased some new towels at the Macy's in downtown Washington, DC.

3)Has your GF/Wife/Partner ever bought you undies online? No

4)Do you consider underwear an important part of your fashion tastes? Yes

5)Do you think Underwear Models are gimmicky/seedy or are good marketing tools? (David Beckham as an example of reviving briefs) Yes, sexy models are a great inducement to underwear sales. Two here in the USA come to mind: (1) I believe in the 1970's and 80's, Jim Palmer, retired pitcher for the Baltimore Orioles, modeled Jockey briefs. He had the body for such. (2) Last summer during the NFL lockout, Tim Tebow modeled Jockey T-shirts [and sigh, not briefs]. Again his hunky body lured customers to the Jockey brand. :smile:

I also add that I have a good buddy here on LPSG who swears by Jockey pouch briefs and boxer briefs. He guided me in my decision to buy lots of Jockey just after Christmas! So word of mouth is very helpful in making purchases over the Net.

Last edited:

jerkitout

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Well you need to figure out your target audience. I feel sex does sell but what is most important is quality. I am currently taking a marketing class so if I find out anything helpful I will post it. What you are going to want to do first is build a reputation, I would recommend having great customer service (zappos.com was an example our textbook gave). Try looking a freshpair.com's policies for inspiration. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to spread your product. Also it allows you to keep customers coming back. Next you want good quality shit. If you product sucks and falls apart then no one will want it no mater how good it looks. Good Luck. Also what is your shop's site??

Men's Underwear, Socks, T-Shirts - MenUsual.co.uk

this will be the website that i buy, should i go ahead with it. got lots of ideas and will be supplied with a great list of contacts to get more brands on board.
basically i want it to look funky, make it look like underwear should be something we want to look good and feel great in and just use facebook and blogging to promote the greatness of good quality, fashionable underwear.
but at the moment the business is just a framework...i need to get painting!