Devils Night

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rikter8, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, here we are... October 30th 2011. Devils Night.

We were haunted as kids...seemed to be the night to stay up all night on the porch in the dark waiting....patiently to see who would fuck with us.

The normal ritual was to bury the 2X4 with Nails up in the driveway so whoever would come in to rip up the lawn...would get flat tires. We learned tricks to protect ourselves. The mailboxes never survived...always were blown up or knocked off all through the neighborhood.

This is probably the one night of the year that I hate the most.

Were you a Devil when you were a kid / young adult? Did you do any damage or haunt the neighborhood?
    Were you a victim of "hauntings"?

#1 Rikter8, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

They've been calling Mischief night for the last 35 yrs I've lived in my town.

3. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    I never did any of that hooligan shit when I was younger. Hate that some youngsters think it's hilarious the shit they do in neighborhoods. Especially if the elderly are the recipients of that behavior.

4. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Yeah, the stupidity was always quickly tried to be excused as venting. Well, venting isn't justified when you deliberately damage someone else's property.

5. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Same here Chuck.

6. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Halloween never took such mischief where I've lived: color me lucky, I guess.

It's a gay high holiday, IMO and experience.

7. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Can't be arsed with Halloween, tbh.

8. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I didn't care for Halloween when I lived in Atlanta. Could never keep a pumpkin on the stoop for more than 8 hours before it was stolen or trashed. Living in Florida it's been much more pleasant and the little kiddies come by and some look so precious.

Oh, and in Atlanta there was never an age or time limit so the doorbell would ring at 10:30pm and it was usually an older teen without a costume and a pillowcase or some such. I knew there was a reason I'd keep all those Dum-Dums suckers from the bank.

9. ryan25yo

Gold Member

Albums:
    IT's actually ALL HALLOW'S EVE....or the Eve of All Saints DAY. The whole idea of devil and witches etc was a very late development. On November 2nd, is All Souls Day....the "day of the dead" when the souls of all the deceased are prayed for.
    So, No need for fear! LOL

10. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ah, thank you for clarification Ryan.

It's not the ghosts and dead that I'm scared of. It's the little pricks of the neighborhood causing damage.

This morning I went grocery shopping and took the scenic route.
    Sure enough. Two telephone poles were busted, several yards torn up with vehicle tracks, and one house had a truck with it's tires slashed. The truck was sitting on all four of the rims. Rubber flat.

I agree Ellie - I don't give anymore due to that reason. Too many parents coming to the door saying their sick child couldn't make it and ask for candy instead.

Humbug I say!
    Bring on Christmas!!

11. nudeyorker

Gold Member

This has never been a big holiday for me. I always use Halloween as a measuring point to having all of my Hanukkah and Christmas shopping finished.
    The community we live in in Honolulu is gated; there really are not that many children or grand children. The rule is if your front light is on you will give treats to the costumed kids; if I'm home I carve a jack-o-lantern and give candy away. In NY there are no children in the building.
    I've never had a problem on the 30th!

12. midlifebear

Gold Member

One year, many, many years ago in the early 70s, my then lover spent hours and hours wrapping up individual razor blades in cardboard, colorful paper and ribbons. Then he spent the evening handing them out to the kids who rang our door bell telling them, "Here. Your parents are expecting you to bring one of these home."

Never heard anything from our neighbors after that, which was a good thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted