Diane Abbot for Labour Party Leader

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_crackoff, Jun 15, 2010.

1. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Personally, I'd love to see this total hypocrite lead Labour for many years to come.:biggrin1:

Having a black, female leader would also embrace Labour's mush vaunted diversity policies.

Whatever happens, you can bet your socks on the fact that it won't be an English leader. Labour haven't had that for 27 years (Welsh, Scot, Scot, Scot). Abbot & the Millibands aren't even vaguely British, Burnham is considered too much of a crook, & Balls for Labour?

Balls to Labour, they'd say!

2. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

Jeremy Corbin would have been better.

3. ConstantComment

ConstantComment New Member

I know two women, one black and one white who live in Hackney and are very fond of Abbott as their MP.

I didn't particularly care for her criticing her Labour colleagues for choosing the schools of their children while she secretly sent her son ot public school as well.

4. Jason

Gold Member

I'm watching the leadership contest with a near-total lack of interest. The two Eds and the two Millibands look so similar I've got them in a muddle and Burnham hardly sparkles. The chances of whomever they select actually taking Labour into the next election are not great. Diane Abbot at least seems to believe what she says, but I don't think she has much of a chance. Isn't it great that the internal wranglings of Labour don't actually impact much on the country.

What could become interesting is the deepening of the Coalition. After 5 years of successful coalition might we be looking at the formation of a Liberal Conservative Party?

5. sbat

sbat New Member

Would they be nicknamed the oxymorons?

6. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    But a combined party is to eliminate the benefits of coalition whereby you can formally accept those of other views within the same government

What do I think of Abbot? Compared to Portillo on the TV she tends to come off second best. But compared to some they have brought in to replace her during the election and now she's a leadership candidate, she shines. I think shes a bit like the libs. They suffered from not knowing quite what to do with success when they got it.

#6 dandelion, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  7. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Now that was funny! My cap is doffed, & a symbolic bottle of champagne awaits you in the ether.

If they resolved their historic Whig - Tory differences they could also be called

The Whory Party!

Now I'd vote for that!

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I think she's quite sexy.

9. superbot

Gold Member

She's got absolutely NO CHANCE....

10. Jason

Gold Member

11. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think there are quite a few on both lab and con sides who do not follow the party line on this, not least because they do not automatically see transferrable vote as a loser for their side. I think the public is probably against change right now, but mostly because they are disinterested. Hard to say what a well fought referendum campaign might do. But most of all i think we are still waiting for the economic shoe to drop. How that has played out in 4.9 years time will be the first issue. Might be con/lib trying to claim the credit, or dissociate themselves from the blame.

Incidentally, I think Cameron has been doing quite well of late, with a few real issues to address himself to. And Cleggy popped up with an independant news comment for himself. Two government views to report instead of one. Labour is bear baiting with accusations of destroying the economy by making cuts. Theyre in opposition, so they have the luxury. But its just a question of degree of cuts and judgement on timing which differs between the two sides. Cant help thinking this BP thing will have cost the government more than it has saved from its current wave of cuts. And that this sort of setback will be the theme for the entire parliament.

Abbot wont win unless something extraordinary happens. Be interesting to see her again on TV next week with portillo, see what she has to say about the leadership bid. But I dont really know how any of them would do as leader: maybe we will find out before one is chosen

Draft saved Draft deleted