Did Astronauts Really Drink Tang?

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Of course they don't drink their own urine in that state! Of course it has been done by people in order to stay alive during unusual situations. It won't kill you if you did, just not exactly something that you would want to do.

Urine is a waste product of the body which needs to be filtered to remove the harmful nitrogen products it contains if you intend to drink it. Sergeant_ Torpedo suggested filtering it through sand in this thread:

http://www.lpsg.org/644590-post10.html

In the dying of thirst situation you are only after the liquid water, all the other wastes need to be removed. Usually when in a thirsting situation the body concentrates the urine as much as possible so there is probably very little recoverable water in the urine of a thirsting person.

Urine is also an ideal growth medium for bacteria. Therefore its best to filter it while it is fresh.

http://www.lpsg.org/644559-post4.html

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
whatever they drank many of them had horrible lives after coming back. The 1969 team being a case in point. Whatever they saw on the moon or whatever happend some came back basket cases. Many books on this topic. Some very interesting reading

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No but Tang is really really bad for them...despite what you've been told. Enriched food is the way to go ;)
-owner of three-

No shit? I used to buy it specially for them! (My kids wouldn't touch the stuff). Well, if I ever get guinea pigs again, I won't do it again. (Loved those little critters)

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
No shit? I used to buy it specially for them! (My kids wouldn't touch the stuff). Well, if I ever get guinea pigs again, I won't do it again. (Loved those little critters)
I'm sorry did not want to make it seem like I was attacking. They are adorable little critters. Such adorable little personalities.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I hope the regular diet is not your present on...we both should eat better than that. Occasional laps are okay though to just keep sane!

Are you sure we aren't brothers that were separated long ago? lol

And......I like the pink ones too! There used to be a saying among the "boys" that if you ate the pink ones on Thursday...that meant you were queer! Wearing a green shirt on Thursday, too What a laugh! I always ate the pink ones and wore a green shirt on Thursdays just to get a rise out ot them....they all jeered and heckled me...we all laughed...BUT, little did they know! I was the one really laughing my guts out inside!

Saturday mornings, for me and my s/o now a days, has to be started with a breakfast of Jimmy Dean sausage (make my own patties from the roll...not the links), soft scrambled eggs with a bit of cheese sprinkled on top, hash browns with onions and green peppers (and sometimes garlic is added for his Italian taste), and big Bisquick biscuits with butter. Ummmmmm Good! I used to drink coffee, but now I drink tea.

About an hour ago, I just made 2 packages of Rasberry Jello (I like Royal brand best) with Mandarin Orange pieces sirred in. That will be enjoyed tonight with a bit of thick Greek Yogurt on top.

The next time I talk to my friend, I will ask him if he got constiated in space by drinking the Tang.

Maybe we were siamese twins joined at the stomach. lol

I've done a 180 in the diet department. I think I'd be dead by now if I ate what I ate as a kid. But I enjoy an occassional cheesesteak here and a beer there.

I don't know if Tang really does give you constipation but airline food is specifically designed to prevent excessive use of the restroom on flights and flatulence. There usually is not a stitch of bran in their meals.

pleasureboy

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I grew up in Louisiana too! I remember coffee milk and I still have Community Coffee shipped over to Europe. There's nothing like Louisiana Coffee..even my euro coffee snob friends can't get enough of it.

My parents drank a Louisianna type French espresso, using a combination of coffee and chickory which they ground fresh every morning. It was so thick and bitter that to this day that is the only type coffee I like. But, they used to put a tsp full in a cup of hot milk for me. Just that tsp full was enough to have me "wired" for an hour or two. :biggrin1: I haven't thought about that for years! Thanks, Osiris, for the memory jolt!

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Used to drink tang when a kid, the only other option not rationed by grown-ups was ice water. Popping the paper seal was a treat.
Also liked Vienna sausages.

Was once told by a friend, a Harvard MD, that urine is virtually sterile when it leaves the body.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I never liked Tang, it tasted too artificial. I like Bologna as a kid, but don't like it now.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
pretty much the same here, though I always drank skim milk (0% fat) and was never a fan of Cap'n Crunch. I got that cereal once as a child and was horribly disappointed when I discovered that it did not actually stay crunchy in milk. Plus, it leaves a disgusting film on the roof of your mouth.

staples of my kid diet:
Pop-Tarts
Doritos
Skim Milk, and tons of it
Tang
Coca Cola
Cinnamon Life Cereal
Cracklin Oat Bran Cereal (healthy, but actually my favorite brand as a child)
Spaghetti-O's with Meatballs
Oscar Meyer hot dogs
Oscar Meyer baloney & yellow American cheese on white bread sandwiches with yellow mustard
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
Frozen pizza
chocolate lowfat milk in paper cartons, later in plastic bags
McDonald's hamburgers and french fries
big fat home cooked steak fries
Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
Sprite
Mr. Pibb
Gummy Worms
nachos & cheese from the supermarket
frozen yogurt from either the supermarket or TCBY's
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pies
PB Max candy bars
Whoppers
meatloaf
spaghetti with meat sauce and parmesan
pancakes and waffles
apples, bananas, oranges, pears (my favorite)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
pretty much the same here, though I always drank skim milk (0% fat) and was never a fan of Cap'n Crunch. I got that cereal once as a child and was horribly disappointed when I discovered that it did not actually stay crunchy in milk. Plus, it leaves a disgusting film on the roof of your mouth.

staples of my kid diet:
Pop-Tarts
Doritos
Skim Milk, and tons of it
Tang
Coca Cola
Cinnamon Life Cereal
Cracklin Oat Bran Cereal (healthy, but actually my favorite brand as a child)
Spaghetti-O's with Meatballs
Oscar Meyer hot dogs
Oscar Meyer baloney & yellow American cheese on white bread sandwiches with yellow mustard
Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches
Frozen pizza
chocolate lowfat milk in paper cartons, later in plastic bags
McDonald's hamburgers and french fries
big fat home cooked steak fries
Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
Sprite
Mr. Pibb
Gummy Worms
nachos & cheese from the supermarket
frozen yogurt from either the supermarket or TCBY's
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pies
PB Max candy bars
Whoppers
meatloaf
spaghetti with meat sauce and parmesan
pancakes and waffles
apples, bananas, oranges, pears (my favorite)

I wonder how much kid's diets have changed over the last 25 years. I get the feeling that many adult Americans eat the same things they did as kids. A lot of what is on our lists are still popular today. You would think parents are more keen on nutrition these days but I wouldn't know.

I ate a lot of the stuff you did. Looking at your list these things stand out as particullarly unhealthy things that I regularly ate. Many of these things were advertised as healthy or had a heavy kid friendly message:

Frozen Pizza
Oscar Meyer Hot Dogs
American Cheese that is individually wrapped
Life Cereal
McDonald's Big Mac Hamburgers & Fries

Kid's eating habits are hard to break judging from my own experience. I wonder if these corporations marketing this garbage to children should be accountable for the kid obesity crisis in this country and the linked cost of healthcare. Tobacco companies sure came around.

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How about asking what astronauts do up in space when they're really horny? They certainly can't whack off. It would drive me fucking nuts, no pun intended.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
How about asking what astronauts do up in space when they're really horny? They certainly can't whack off.

oh, I don't know...

In college I learned to whack off un-noticed with others sleeping in close proximity. And I suspect I'm not the only one who surreptitiously developed those stealthy skills and attention to timing.

I was something of a masturbation ninja, so to speak. :cool:

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
How about asking what astronauts do up in space when they're really horny? They certainly can't whack off. It would drive me fucking nuts, no pun intended.

I asked that very question to my old roommate. I said, don't you miss your wife and sex, etc.? He said yes, but they were so busy all during their wake periods that they didn't have time to think about it. When it came time for rest/sleep periods, they were so exhausted that they immediately fell asleep. But, when they came home it was sweet!

I'm not sure if I could be that busy or that tired! But then, I've never done anythinig that intense.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
they didnt't a martian space craft had to lower them safely to the surface.

Hand_Solo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to buy Tang to feed to my guinea pigs. They are the only creatures on Earth, other than humans, who don't create their own Vitamin C. So does that mean I could have launched those rodents into space?

Even with all that C, they'd probably end up like Space Dog Laika.