Did feminism go to far?

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
this is that same bullshit logic that thinks women can autonomously bear children. or maybe that they manipulate men into knocking them up with clever psychology.

you might want to consider all the women who got pregnant because some asshole insisted on not using a condom, then kicked up a righteous fuss when she mentioned the 'A' word.

takes two to make a kid, surely the responsibility should go both ways too?

I know a lot of guys who had a girl secretly quit the pill or tell them they didn't need to use a condom and calculatingly made them father's without their permission.

Happens all the time... always has. Used to be a great way to get a guy to marry you... cause he "had" to.

MEN ASK...WOMEN CHOOSE.
Men are always the second person to know that sex is going to happen.

And hey... if a woman decides to have the baby... without his permission, he still is on the hook for 18 years...

I myself became a father when a woman told me she was "safe".

So don't tell me women are not responsible for their reproductive tract.

You want him to wear a rubber... say no till its on.

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Men do put effort into their home life...

Just not the effort YOU want us to.

Again, you reveal a control issue. If it ain't YOUR way, then it don't count.

Look, from a man's point of view, knocking myself out to earn money, that I bring home and hand over to my wife, IS a contribution... the most important contribution they can make.

And the way I parent my children is not the same as a woman's... but its important to their development...
It might seem like play to you... but that is what Dad's are good for. And it matters.

This is what I mean when I say the unspoken and unrealized assumptions....

Just the pain assumption that men DON'T contribute.

That is you defining what constitutes contribution, without regard to male perspective.

You want to know who's holding the shitty end of the stick? Just take a look and see who's end is shittier...
Men die 8 years earlier than women, on average, mostly from stress related causes.

Men routinely die of heart attacks in their 40s and 50s'

And as any career woman is rapidly learning... the traditional "male" role is brutal and wearing.

You want it all? fine, take responsibility for your own wants...
Most men learn early that they can't have it all.

Phil i was just starting to think what a great conversation this was becoming of personal experience and opinions and you've gone back to quoting statistics and generalizations.

Let it be said im in my 20's so i feel i was born into a somewhat feminist environment. Never have wanted what traditional feminist were after. I don't want to work full time while my man stays at hime and chants to some Roman god for.

I am however coming from the point of if i work full time id want my man to, if i clean house id want my man to, if i do the car i'd want my man to and so forth. Same as if i chose to stay home i wouldnt expect him to come home and cook me dinner

And the talk about not appreciating what men contribute already.. crap..I already do a lot of what men do around the house. i paint the house, i help fix the cars and i also earn my share of the household income. So yes i can appreciate what men contribute but id much prefer to have someone who also hlp me equally as i do them

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I had a load of stuff picked out to quote and respond to but you know what - it was all too much and no one would have fucking read it anyway... So I'll just shove in randomly.

Both sides of the argument are being argued foolishly and well - and sometimes by the same poster.

HG is essentially right about the fact the way PEOPLE treat each other is about PEOPLE - there is a whole level of interpersonal communication between couples that is not dependant on the sexes of the people involved. Various posters have brought up things about men being nasty to their wives and women being nasty to their husbands but I think you'll find that those dynamics occur in same sex relationships as well. If a person is being a bully in a relationship then the other party does need to 'put them in their place' regardless. You see we all have examples from our own lives and those of the people around us that we interpret and use to judge the way men and women treat each other. If I concentrate a bit I can get past the fact that I am a woman and see these situations from both sides.

Someone said (I can't recall who) something about global feminism having gone far enough. Sorry but that's a pile of bollox (pun intended). In the 'western world' (first world?) maybe - it's arguable that women are treated equally because sometimes they just aren't, I'll get back to that, but in the poorer, less developed of the world feminism is, essentially, something only the rich can afford. The lot of your average woman in sub-Saharan Africa is shit - now the men aren't exactly having a ball either and I appreciate that, but the women have a particularly poor lot because they are women (which is the difference). If anyone wants to argue that point with me I can find a bollock load of statistics to back it up so maybe save us all some time, and Rob some server space, by doing a quick Google first.

In a 'first world' context Feminism and Equality no longer embrace the same concepts and I think that is essentially what we are arguing. I recently read a book called Iron John (by Robert Bly, I think a lot of the Americans here will have heard of it, not so sure if it is so well known in Europe and beyond) - It's mainly about men and their place in the modern world (again 'first world' context) and the author argues quite well for the point Phil (and others) are making that Feminism has, to some extent, emasculated men, not intentionally but as a by-product and in conjunction with a lot of other challenges the modern world throws at men. I'm not suggesting that anyone posting here is arguing that Feminism is solely responsible for men feeling a little lost and unsure how to behave both with each other and with women but I do find it hard to disagree with those arguing that Feminism has contributed to the complexity of being a man in the 21st C.

On the whole Equality issue. Complete in equality (in the first world) isn't quite there. It isn't there for black people, for disabled people or for women. Legislation can help, 'positive' discrimination can't. If a person gets hired because of anything other than their abilities to perform the job in question that is a set back in Equal Rights. It just is.

Final point. Equality and Feminism used to espouse roughly the same principles - for the majority of people anyway. I no longer believe this is the case. I think Feminism has gone too far and has bypassed concepts of equality to become an ugly thing that is used to bludgeon men and women into behaviours that are not natural to them as individuals. There are difference between men and women and the way we all perceive things - these differences are not black and white but are very much on a sliding scale for every individual. Many of the differences are the result of nurture not nature, a few are innate but the nurtured differences are so ingrained and such a sustained part of the way our culture(s) have been for so long that there is practically no distinction anyway - it will take centuries to unlearn them. These differences between the sexes need to been seen in a positive light rather than a negative light for Equality to actually occurred.

In conclusion, Feminism was necessary in its time. Sometimes a fist is needed to make the initial breakthrough. But it has outlived its usefulness and become an ugly, destructive thing.

From a personal standpoint I am not a Feminist, I am an Egalitarian - I endeavour to see each person I meet as a blank canvas and allow my experiences of them paint the picture rather than start with a picture of man / woman and build from there.

northwestone

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I know a lot of guys who had a girl secretly quit the pill or tell them they didn't need to use a condom and calculatingly made them father's without their permission.

Happens all the time... always has. Used to be a great way to get a guy to marry you... cause he "had" to.

MEN ASK...WOMEN CHOOSE.
Men are always the second person to know that sex is going to happen.

And hey... if a woman decides to have the baby... without his permission, he still is on the hook for 18 years...

I myself became a father when a woman told me she was "safe".

So don't tell me women are not responsible for their reproductive tract.

You want him to wear a rubber... say no till its on.

equally: If you don't want to be a father, wear protection and take responsibility for yourself, don't put all the blame on someone else and then bitch about it afterwards. or if you don't want to wear a rubber, say no until you're ready to be a dad.

all these dumb arguments about women 'entrapping' men by 'tricking them into getting them pregnant' is a load of misogynist bullshit....

ALL men know what COULD happen if they come inside a girl, when we choose to ignore the risks and responsibilities we deserve no sympathy at all.

In the end I'm sure the number of women saying 'don't worry i'm on the pill' is probably about the same as the number of men saying 'don't worry I had a vasectomy' or guys who fail to say they have a transmittable disease....people lie to get what they want, this is not a gender issue, it's human nature.

The golden rule of sex is 'look after YOURSELF'

sweetsweats

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If I hold the door for a feminist woman, she scowls at me with a "you chauvinist pig" look.

If I don't hold the door for a non-feminist woman, she scowls at me with a "you asshole" look.

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh...it's no wonder men are keeling over at 50

northwestone

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
If I hold the door for a feminist woman, she scowls at me with a "you chauvinist pig" look.

If I don't hold the door for a non-feminist woman, she scowls at me with a "you asshole" look.

if you hold a door open for someone don't expect a smile or a thank you, those are a bonus, being chivalrous should be reward in itself.

and don't make assumptions about who people are based on your preconceptions. that's just silly.

it's wrong to assume that feminists don't like doors held open and non-feminists do.

perhaps the woman scowling was just in a bad mood, perhaps she didn't like the way you were staring at her tits...who can say.

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
Someone said (I can't recall who) something about global feminism having gone far enough. Sorry but that's a pile of bollox (pun intended). In the 'western world' (first world?) maybe - it's arguable that women are treated equally because sometimes they just aren't, I'll get back to that, but in the poorer, less developed of the world feminism is, essentially, something only the rich can afford. The lot of your average woman in sub-Saharan Africa is shit - now the men aren't exactly having a ball either and I appreciate that, but the women have a particularly poor lot because they are women (which is the difference). If anyone wants to argue that point with me I can find a bollock load of statistics to back it up so maybe save us all some time, and Rob some server space, by doing a quick Google first.
If you mean my comment on page 2, then I was actually making the point you've just made. Globally, feminism has not gone far enough.

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media

I've never had anyone (men or women) say or do anything bad if I hold a door open for them. Must be a lot of nasty people where you live.

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
hold on there...

I have no problem with women doing whatever they like... I would not relegate women to the home or the kitchen...

My response was not vehement... it was honest.

I LIVED thru the entire feminist movement... and I was actually in support of equal rights.

But, unfortunately, the feminist movement did not merely agitate for equality for women... they agitated for superiority.

It was not enought to be equals to men, they took the tack of disparaging men... of demonizing men and of attacking everything male.

The political correctness with which our world is now afflicted is the result of the feminist movement.

It was bad enough that a man had to negotiate a minefield everytime he spoke to his wife...
But now our entire culture has to WATCH WHAT WE SAY AND HOW WE SAY IT...
People lose their jobs for having "incorrect" opinions or feelings...

I love and prefer women who are equals... I treat them as equals and I actually think of them as equals...

I only wish they returned the favor.

I agree with your post. Over ten years ago, a man I worked with was fired for having photos of nude women in his locker ( some ladies complained) the lockers were in the small kitchen. One of the women who complained had photos of nude men in her locker ( a few men complained) she was asked to remove them or keep the locker door shut if someone else was around. Why was she not fired?

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The modern approach to back formations is to take a word that was never a verb and turn it into one arbitrarily - examples: to author, authored by, impacted

<Pendantry alert> - Sorry.

I'm still working through this thread, but like another poster I disagree with you on this - from both an etymological standpoint and a usage one.

To write something and to author something are not necessarily the same thing, to author requires creative input whereas to write merely requires the pyhsical action. I can write something without authoring it. English has some very useful gradations of meaning; sculpt and carve being another.

FWIW, OED defines author as a verb and a noun (originally autor), the verb derives from the Latin noun auctor (founder) combining with the agent noun augere - (to increase). The th is derived from a mistaken assumption of a Greek origin.

There is nothing arbitrary about it, and with autor dating from around 1300 and author being in use as verb since the 16th century, nothing modern either. :biggrin1:

</Pendantry alert>

Lots of interesting things so far, social phenomena are the most interesting to try and analyse.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know the post to which you are referring. I was quite disturbed by his vehement response.

I do personally agree that we needed some change, for example wives and mothers are now working so they should expect their men to help around the house with cooking, cleaning etc.[/QUOTE
] Or maybe we could resurrect the time when all middle class households had housekeepers
who were there daily from sun-up to sundown.

I agree but in order for that to happen we would need major change to occur at the federal level.

In order for a household especially one with children to run efficiently and effectively someone must take on the "feminine" role. In many households the husband stays home and takes care of the kids, meals, laundry etc. This works for a lot of people especially when the woman makes more money or has better benefits.

Men lost absolutely NOTHING! It allowed women onto the the playing field. It did not even it up. Prior to the 1970's and the ERA women really couldn't do that much in the workforce because nobody would hire them. :rolleyes: :duh:

It depends on how you look at it. If you are a woman like WIRW then yes, you are better off than you were before.

Unfortunately, the ERA STILL hasn't been passed. Many people think it has, but it hasn't.

I love that idea of middle class households having housekeepers! Too bad I'm poor though! (Maybe I can get a decent job again and be middle class again like I used to be - then I want that housekeeper! :biggrin1:)

I don't think men lost anything, either.

B_Jennuine73

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am going to comment on something that was touched on briefly in one of the posts.

The comment was about women who stay home and women who work. Unfortunately, this is a conflict that we, as women, have created. The "debate" on which is better for the children causes so much pain, confusion and anger.

When I was not working, because I chose to stay home and raise my daughter, I knew I was lucky to have a choice. We sacrificed much and basically scraped by. No vacations, nothing new but it was worth it because we were doing something we believed in. I have NEVER disparaged a family because they chose, or didn't have a choice in whether the woman went to work or not.

Who says "Oh it must be nice she can stay home while I work my fucking ass off," or "you'd think because she stays home her house would be spotless," or "she's really money hungry, she's got 3 kids in daycare and all she cares about is her career?" Women do.

The attitude I got, the outright anger and hostility I was hit with by some women, was truly disturbing. This is the fault of women, not men.

Now, being honest, tell me who you would rather work with, as women, all men or all women? My guess would be all men. We know the reason for that as most women are hell to work with. Cause we bitch, complain and gossip.

This is probably going to sound impossibly idealistic, but if we were to come together as women to better our lives, not trash others, would this debate even be happening?

We do not have to take from others in order to have our own power. Men are men, love them, women are women. Love ourselves.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I don't think men lost anything, either.

You don't? Then maybe you need to think about it a lot more. I think men have a hell of a lot to contend with. They still have to be 'manly' and masculine and live up to all the things expected of men (by other men and women) and yet they also have to be sensitive and aware of how masculine is too masculine - when it can be applied and not. There is a very fine line between masculine / manly and sexist and men tread that tightrope everyday. I don't think it is at all fair to say they have lost nothing - they have lost a hell of a lot of freedom. You may argue that that freedom was at the expense of women, maybe a lot of it was, but regardless, they have still lost it.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is why I think feminism, for the most part, is healthy. If women are truly free to make their own choices about what they want for themselves they won't be forced into having to accept a life they don't want.

Shall it be noted without some sort of feminist movement never would it have been acceptable for women to participate in a site like this. Not to mention posting pics, web-camming or even stating a preference for size.

what makes me think it's been different is the outcome: we've lived in a largely sexist-free society (superficially, at least) for twenty years now; women make up roughly half of all students now, and (you would imagine) form roughly a half of the pool of talent going into the workplace. yet the boards of most companies are entirely male. if we truly lived in a fair, pluralist society then two people of equivalent ability would enjoy equivalent success.

i'm not saying it's 'easy' for men, nothing's easy. if you think the 'glass ceiling' is a class concept rather than a gender one, then fine, maybe it's true. but i would still bet any amount of money it's more difficult for a working-class, un-'connected' woman to get onto a company board than a working-class, un-'connected' man.

if you don't believe that, think of it this way: how many stories have you heard about male employees being bullied and sexually harrassed by their majority female coworkers? how can that kind of mistreatment NOT make it harder to succeed?

I think that may be a little of an exaggeration. If you've noticed all of the ladies here at this site are here to appreciate our fellow men. There is very little if no male bashing going on

Very true posts.

Well said.
Statistics show that a company hiring a 27 year old woman runs a 90&#37; risk she will leave her job to have a baby within 5 years.

Women still earn 78 cents to every dollar a man earns because, on average over their careers, women will work 78 days to every 100 that a man does.

MAYBE... but many return to work very soon after having children. And some, like me, choose not to have children at all (and by the way, that was entirely independent of my wanting a career - I just don't have the mental/emotional capacity to deal with children, I'm not a caregiver type, and I can't stand the noise.)

I'm a feminist but I have no problem with people holding the door for me.

You don't? Then maybe you need to think about it a lot more. I think men have a hell of a lot to contend with. They still have to be 'manly' and masculine and live up to all the things expected of men (by other men and women) and yet they also have to be sensitive and aware of how masculine is too masculine - when it can be applied and not. There is a very fine line between masculine / manly and sexist and men tread that tightrope everyday. I don't think it is at all fair to say they have lost nothing - they have lost a hell of a lot of freedom. You may argue that that freedom was at the expense of women, maybe a lot of it was, but regardless, they have still lost it.

It's true that men have a lot to contend with as far as what they put on themselves to be 'manly', but I don't think feminism caused this! Men themselves put this on themselves. I for one would prefer if men would get out of the 'masculinity' trap and just be themselves. Of course, I have a history of actually preferring men who society would describe as "effeminate"... That's probably in large part because of my own history as being a woman with traditonally male interests, and having been bullied and harassed because of that fact. I'm fairly young (in these terms), but I grew up in an area that was still rigid on gender roles (they still are to this day, far as I can tell). One of my teachers in school even had me sent to behavior mod camp for not being "girly" enough! :eek: I grew up actually wanting a sex change so I could have a good career in my chosen field (I like work in sciences and technology) and wouldn't be forced to do housework. (OK, this was "kid thinking" at the time... :biggrin1: That doesn't hold true as an adult...) Or, I said I wanted a maid. (I still DO want that...!:smile:)

As for the biology thing, take a look at the links in my sig - that'll give you an idea of how I feel about that.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting thread ... a few thoughts: (too many for one post so will follow up unless I get beat up and need to regroup!!):

I look for a man who is comfortable enough to accept women as equals, and who accepts feminism as a necessary equal rights movement. This is not just "one of the things I look for", it is the PRIMARY thing I look for.

I think a lot of the 'resentment', backlash even, exhibited by some men lies not in opposition to a notion of equality in a moral, legal and ethical sense (etc) but in equating it with 'equality' in a more literal sense. Could it lie in a misplaced belief by some men that women want to be treated in the same way they (men) would treat another man. I'm also of the view that much of it is rather more malicious.

Of course women do require and should expect equal treatment, but (I believe) not necessarily the sort of 'equality' and 'treatment' a great many men seem to (mis)understand those words imply.

In my opinion, it did not go far ENOUGH. There are still sexist biases out there, and that needs to stop. I have been hurt by those things all my life.

Perhaps, but differing understandings of equality aside, equality is a binary state. We all get hurt by things in life, sometimes, often even, our perception of the root cause of that hurt isn't accurate.

Society is indeed replete with sexist biases, and by no means are all of these male in origin or support a male agenda. This is something too frequently (and conveniently) glossed over. This blind eye is turned by both men and women of course, albeit for largely different reasons. I'm sure some men feel 'afraid' or rather may be unwilling to speak out against what are often blatant inequities.

This may be for fear of being tagged 'Neanderthals' (as one poster put it), or perhaps they simply don't want to be 'reminded' (somewhat inaccurately perhaps) that men had a zillion years of 'domination' and now it's payback time.

That sentiment may have some poetic justification and that some women exploit this is unarguable. But ultimately, while this approach may have a short term feel good factor, in terms of achieving true (gender) equality in society I'd say it's ultimately self defeating.

I agree but in order for that to happen we would need major change to occur at the federal level.

Legislation is generally reactive, generally it reacts to demands for social change, it doesn't usually act as a vehicle for them. In some cases, such as this perhaps, it can do both.

Men lost absolutely NOTHING!

I swear sometimes, you must live in some other world. Men 'lost' a great many things, many, perhaps most of them intangible. I'm not suggesting they shouldn't have been lost or adjusted, but to deny their loss at all speaks to either wilful ignorance or mind blowing naievite, perhaps both. I'd argue that the feminist movement has cost women a great deal also, if what many of them tell is true.

This is why I think feminism, for the most part, is healthy. If women are truly free to make their own choices about what they want for themselves they won't be forced into having to accept a life they don't want.

Anything that seeks to redress an inequity is probably healthy. It doesn't matter if it's gender, race, sexuality ... I would suggest however that processes necessary to achieve an end result can be painful, and open to abuse. Sometimes, the end can justify the means.

I LIVED thru the entire feminist movement... and I was actually in support of equal rights.

The entire feminist movement? It's not quite over yet, in case you hadn't noticed.

Actually? You make that support sound like a virtue.

But, unfortunately, the feminist movement did not merely agitate for equality for women... they agitated for superiority.

On an individual level for some, yes. But when you speak about 'the feminist movement' you seem to do so as if it were a coherent, unified centrally directed campaign. It wasn't then, and it certainly isn't today. Neither did it have universal or unqualified support from within it its 'ranks'.

It was not enought to be equals to men, they took the tack of disparaging men... of demonizing men and of attacking everything male.

Again, you seem to be generalising the sentiment of comparatively few extremists across an entire gender.

The political correctness with which our world is now afflicted is the result of the feminist movement.

In part, but there are a great many causal factors, gender is only one of these.

It was bad enough that a man had to negotiate a minefield everytime he spoke to his wife...
But now our entire culture has to WATCH WHAT WE SAY AND HOW WE SAY IT...

I never found problem speaking openly and honestly to women, In my experience receiving a adverse reaction is generally a result of having said something inherently stupid or offensive and rather less down to gender of the person to whom it's addressed.

I love and prefer women who are equals... I treat them as equals and I actually think of them as equals...

Is that preference an unconscious suggestion that you believe some women are indeed, less than equal? I'm really not sure what you expect for this preference ... a medal?

I only wish they returned the favor.

Since when is affording a woman (or anyone, really) respect, treating them as an equal doing them a favour?

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It makes me laugh that women looked at the mostly male corporate world and imagined we men were out there having the times of our lives...
Two words: Eliot Spitzer.
Careers kill.
First, Spitzer's wife put her law career on hold to raise three daughters and support his rise to the top. Second, Spitzer chucked all that in the trash when he decided to make good use of one of the industries he was trying to shut down. Sure killed his career. For the moment, anyway.

She made her choice. He made his. In the end, our choices make us who we are.

This is what happens in a totally polarized political system. Europe never experienced America's problems with racism and gender clashes in any way that is even remotely comparable in magnitude. If the technology had allowed it, there would have been European LPSGs in the 20's.
QFT.

They wanted it all and got it all... and it turns out that men, who don't really have any option but to work till we die... have it easier.
We don't have to wonder about the path not taken because we only have the one acceptable path.
Ultimately, you choose the life you live.

Certain goals in my life were derailed during my last marriage. I could've chosen to push all the blame on him but realised that relationships involve two people and I chose to be in that relationship. All of this speculation about "the one acceptable path" is based on the traditional model as being the default for all relationships. I don't buy into that.

There is only so much time... pick a life's path and be happy in it.
I hope you have although it doesn't sound like it.
But don't blame your choice and its consequences on me.
We are all in this together, whether we see it that way or not. The sooner we do, the better off we all are.

Who says "Oh it must be nice she can stay home while I work my fucking ass off," or "you'd think because she stays home her house would be spotless," or "she's really money hungry, she's got 3 kids in daycare and all she cares about is her career?" Women do.

The attitude I got, the outright anger and hostility I was hit with by some women, was truly disturbing. This is the fault of women, not men.
I have seen women be truly shitty to one another and it's one of the reasons I pick my female friends with utmost care. I have NO desire to get involved in petty games and general cattiness. Last year, I ended a friendship because she insisted my goal in life should be to find a husband and my so-called "lifestyle" (which included FWB's because I knew I wasn't ready for a relationship) was nothing more than "sluttish" and I should be ashamed. Some friend. I ended that relationship and vowed to surround my self with people who actually cared about me and weren't judging me based on their own insecurities and supposed morals. Her perfect marriage was to a cheating, conniving asshole who refused to care for their son or for himself. But apparently, that was okay and I had no right to say anything about that. :rolleyes:

We do not have to take from others in order to have our own power. Men are men, love them, women are women. Love ourselves.

Couldn't have said it better.