Did we need an Iraq War?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jay_too, Nov 5, 2003.

1. jay_too

jay_too New Member

I just checked into the NY Times site and found this troubling article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/05/international/worldspecial/05CND-INTEL.html?hp

If the intent of the Iraq War was to destroy WMDs or gain oil concessions or force regime change, then maybe we did not have to spend hundreds of billions of dollars (yeah, I included the costs of mobilization and replacing the expended munitions) and the expectation that we have only begun to spend U.S. taxpayers' money in the rebuilding and policing of Iraq.

Apparently, Saddam was willing

for a thousand FBI agents to search his country for WMDs (that had already been destroyed)

to grant oil concessions to American companies

to have open elections within 2 years.

Either a lack of flexibility in the thinking by decision-makers in the Pentagon or a lack of sophistication in Middle Eastern diplomacy caused the Bush administration to not pursue a diplomatic solution.

jay

2. Imported

Gold Member

Inwood: I have to join to read the article. I don't like to join things. They send me stuff that I don't want.

Can you copy and post the article? Or at least the pertinent points?

Thanks

3. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: One thing about Sadam that was always a sure thing is that he always always made cooperating with anything a headache. He agreed to let UN inspectors have unfettered access......that never materialized. I think he probably would have done the same thing with the points outlined in the article.

4. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: ah that is the thing about evil doers...
    they say what you want to hear, but they speak the fineprint to their followers....

Tender

Draft saved Draft deleted