Did you "choose" to be gay?

Titanomachina

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
You are being ignorant, and you are making assumptions about something you don't know about. Just because you don't like going to Pride, it doesn't make it or the people who attend it stupid. You seem very keen to separate yourself from a type of gay person. Everyone is different, there's no need to pigeonhole people.

No I'm being realistic. Despite wanting to be part of the norm ( at least that's the public message), it's clear they don't want to be like everyone else. Different for the sake of being different, AKA stupid.

When you study psychology long enough this stuff becomes clear. You wouldn't understand because you are caught up in it.

nickinoo

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No I'm being realistic. Despite wanting to be part of the norm ( at least that's the public message), it's clear they don't want to be like everyone else. Different for the sake of being different, AKA stupid.

When you study psychology long enough this stuff becomes clear. You wouldn't understand because you are caught up in it.

You are speaking on behalf of a lot of people who you don't know and making assumptions about them. That's not being realistic.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
They make a certain subset of the gay population feel that way. Pride is just an excuse to throw a party and to feel special for no reason. There isn't anything unique about being gay any more than straight. It's just being human. They say they want to feel normal in society but that is obviously not the case.

Or to put it more simply, Pride is a stupid event for stupid people.
The Pride Parade is actually a continuation of Christopher Street Liberation Day. In the 60s, gay people lived under a police-state, living under the danger of persecution even when we were already living underground lives. One day we fought back. Every year in NY city gay people had a parade in the Greenwich Village in celebration of the resistance that occured in Stonewall Inn (located in Christopher Street). Once the celebrations grown bigger and moved outside of Christopher Street (and of NYC), it became known as Pride Parade. So it's not a stupid event for stupid people.

Reactions: Smaccoms

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Or to put it more simply, Pride is a stupid event for stupid people.

It's so very strange to see a person so ignorant of systemic oppression. Are you even aware of class society itself? I imagine not, being so ignorant of the realities of such a social system.

That's doesn't sound like how it happens in anywhere in the World

Really? Many, many men I've met have been afraid of losing their heterosexual status, especially within the grips of wanting to experiment with homosexual relations. Why would that same pressure not exist from the opposite end of the spectrum?

Reactions: BIGBULL29

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Really? Many, many men I've met have been afraid of losing their heterosexual status, especially within the grips of wanting to experiment with homosexual relations. Why would that same pressure not exist from the opposite end of the spectrum?
Because only one end of the spectrum is object of social scorn, only one internalizes they should be different, only one is under threath of rejection from family and friends. Basicaly: because homophobia exists, and heterophobia does not.

HereIcome4917

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm 18 and gay, just came out and I this question has irked me since middle school. Did any of you actually choose to be gay? I'm not asking about whether or not you chose to come out or express youself as gay, I'm asking about whether or not you chose to be attracted to other men. It would boggle me if anyone would. I'm all for pride, but who would want to be a part of a minority struggling to fit in?
I did not choose to be gay. Absolutely not. It's a real nightmare when your in high school middle school. Judgment and confusion. Who would choose that kind of life? But I wouldn't change it for the world. I think guys are the best things ever built. I'm pretty sure straight men don't choose to be straight... Okay well some of them might LMAO

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Because only one end of the spectrum is object of social scorn, only one internalizes they should be different, only one is under threath of rejection from family and friends. Basicaly: because homophobia exists, and heterophobia does not.

Of course heterophobia exists, it's simply not institutionalized like homophobia is. Besides, class society exists in a binary. This means much policing goes into maintaining binaries, even ones within sexual orientation and race. It's simply another way of reinforcing and pushing the status quo, the status quo being Capitalism. In short, it's reactionary. Queer people experience just as much social pressure to stay "as gay as possible" (whatever the hell that actually means) as straight people experience to stay "as straight as possible" (whatever the hell THAT means).

So a gay person that feels more bisexual or pansexual could, potentially, feel "trapped" inside their gayness. Even if they don't see anything wrong with being completely gay, they might not like only having access to men or women. I certainly didn't. I wanted to know what straight men and gay women were getting so hot and heavy over.

Now I do, and it's wonderful.

Reactions: BIGBULL29

dongalong

Mythical Member
Media
We all have thoughts and ideas, some of which are good, bad or don't conform to societal norms.
If we choose, those thoughts can disappear from our minds forever and nothing actually happens.

What if there is an idea that stays in our minds and is repeated constantly? That is a belief.

What if that belief brings you pleasure and excitement? It can stay stuck in your mind or it can manifest into life experiences if you choose to allow it.

My point is, there is always a choice somewhere down the line, whatever we do.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Of course heterophobia exists, it's simply not institutionalized like homophobia is. Besides, class society exists in a binary. This means much policing goes into maintaining binaries, even ones within sexual orientation and race. It's simply another way of reinforcing and pushing the status quo, the status quo being Capitalism. In short, it's reactionary. Queer people experience just as much social pressure to stay "as gay as possible" (whatever the hell that actually means) as straight people experience to stay "as straight as possible" (whatever the hell THAT means).

So a gay person that feels more bisexual or pansexual could, potentially, feel "trapped" inside their gayness. Even if they don't see anything wrong with being completely gay, they might not like only having access to men or women. I certainly didn't. I wanted to know what straight men and gay women were getting so hot and heavy over.

If you actually know an example of a straight person's heterosexuality being object of social scorn, do tell me. Same thing for a case of a straight person internalizing they should be gay, and a straight person living under threath of rejection from family and friends for being straight.
Also, your understanding that oppression systems exist only to perpetuate binaries is simply baloney. Oppression exists to perpetuate supremacism.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
We all have thoughts and ideas, some of which are good, bad or don't conform to societal norms.
If we choose, those thoughts can disappear from our minds forever and nothing actually happens.

What if there is an idea that stays in our minds and is repeated constantly? That is a belief.

What if that belief brings you pleasure and excitement? It can stay stuck in your mind or it can manifest into life experiences if you choose to allow it.

My point is, there is always a choice somewhere down the line, whatever we do.
Yeah, but sexual orientation is not a belief, it's a physiological fact.

Titanomachina

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It's so very strange to see a person so ignorant of systemic oppression. Are you even aware of class society itself? I imagine not, being so ignorant of the realities of such a social system.

I know about it, it's called not giving a shit.

Gay people make up such a small number of the total human population it's hard to care about them.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes but surely you would choose to do what's physiologically right/healthy for yourself rather than live in denial.
If you are attracted to the same sex and choose to have sex with the opposite sex, you are still gay even though "in denial". That is, sexual orientation is still not a choice.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual

You're so bright and beautiful. If everyone thought more like you..