Did you guys read about this pain gun?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by JennyS, Sep 30, 2007.

1. JennyS

JennyS New Member

Run away the ray-gun is coming : We test US army's new secret weapon | the Daily Mail

What do you think? Is this a step in the right or wrong direction?

Personally, it scares me. I think it would be used for interrogating people right away... intense pain and no bruises.

And though I don't think there's a big risk of it here right now, I think in a lot of countries it would be one more weapon that dictators would gladly have at their disposal to keep civilians in line (even better than guns, because they don't lose citizens by blasting them with it).

2. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    I've been reading about related weapons for a while now. Just the idea of using things like microwave technology for that purpose scares the shit out of me. The "model" I read more deeply into was designed to be a "crowd containment" device. Human testing deemed it "highly effective." If an eyeroll smiley was ever needed, I'd say now would be the time.

3. D_smack ash

D_smack ash Account Disabled

kinda of reminds me(god i am old) of the 80s weapon the nuetron bomb.it would kill humans but be safe for buildings.but it never got off the drawing board

4. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

They've already got plenty of very effective (and painful, if not lethal) methods of crowd/riot control and torture/interrogation. One more in their repertoire won't change things much, I'd wager.

5. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    But also think about this... One of the effects of giving red-blooded american cops tasers is that they get trigger happy with them in a way they never would (on a large scale) if they only carried a lethal weapon. Weapons being designated as "non-lethal" is psychologically dangerous, as it makes cops less inhibited in their use of weapons against whomever they're dealing with. I think it's been proven statistically, but I can't recall where I read it. Give a cop a "ray gun" and tell them it's non-lethal. See what happens. I'm inclined to believe they're far more dangerous than taser weapons, based on what I've read about them.

6. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I agree it's dangerous putting weapons of any kind into the hands of your average law enforcer, but I guess if I had to pick I'd rather be microwaved or tazed than shot multiple times. Good thing I'm not black, I guess.

7. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    :rolleyes: I've been shot, but not by a cop. Guess I'm lucky in that regard.

8. JennyS

JennyS New Member

What Irate is saying is that the choice would be between being tazed -vs- wrestled to the ground (even though the cop still has a gun).

People tend to save lethal force as a last resort. When something is non-lethal force, they'll get trigger happy with whatever you give them (because they know it won't kill you).

9. lafever

Gold Member

Albums:
    The u.s. army is experimenting with guns that heat up the internal organs, they`ve got a tank mock up as well. The energy waves are invisible, you can`t even see it as it`s going through the air, you can`t even hear this thing, also it can pass through walls, you don`t even know the weapons being used until it`s too late.

lafever

10. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I know, I understood the point. But people do still get shot all the time. If a cop feels like he's in any danger, he's not going to take any chances.

11. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    I'm a firm believer in using England as a reference for western countries in dealing with guns. Their gun crime is so minimal compared to other countries, it's staggering. Needless to say, it can't be reproduced, because much of why it's not a big problem today has to do with preemptive decisions that were made before it could get out of hand.

12. guiltrip

guiltrip New Member

oooh it has to do with resonance, the physics people will eat this up

13. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

Doesn't anyone ever bother to know what they're talking about before speaking publicly anymore? :rolleyes:

The neutron bomb idea came about in the late 1950s, was actually developed during the early- to mid-1960s, and was deployed starting in the late 1960s until the late 1990s after the Cold War ended.

The designs were tactical rather than strategic, with nominal yields in the kiloton range and employing design parameters intended to exploit the ionizing radiation of high-energy neutrons released during the fusion stage of the typical three-stage thermonuclear devices of the era.

The popular misconception of these bombs being safe for buildings is greatly exaggerated. While nowhere near as powerful as hydrogen bombs with yields in the 100Kton-to-megaton range, neutron bombs still release heat and blast energy 100 times more powerful than any conventional explosive device...easily sufficient to level any structures in the blast radius. The primary design purpose for these weapons was deployment against armored enemy units, as tank armor and environmental systems greatly increased the survivability of thermonuclear bombardment for those sheltered inside. Even tank armor, however, provides relatively poor protection from high-energy neutron emissions.

In any event...these things not only made it off the drawing board, they saw active service in our arsenal for decades. My understanding is that the USA has now officially decomissioned and dismantled all of its "enhanced radiation" tactial warheads.

14. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

But just think, if a cop had a microwave ray-gun... he could heat up his donuts in no time at all, right in his squad car!

Draft saved Draft deleted