Did you know that Freddie Mercury was of Indian Ethnicity?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I just assumed he as a British white guy. It's funny how the documentary on LOGO that I watched said he "passed" as white.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
He was born in Zanzibar which I believe was a british colony at the time.

Yes, they mentioned that, it is now part of Tanzania. He went to boarding school in India, and his family was "Indian Parsi".

Parsi (Gujarati: પારસી Pārsī, IPA: [ˈpa(ɾ).si]), sometimes spelled Parsee, is a member of the close-knit Zoroastrian community based primarily in India. Most Parsis outside of India identify India as their home country. Parsis are descended from Persian Zoroastrians who emigrated to the Indian subcontinent over 1,000 years ago.

He never came out as being gay either, but he didn't really hide the fact, he just never wanted to acknowledge it to the press.

Actually yes, I did know this. I thought it was common knowledge?

northwestone

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
but EVERYONE knew!! we were just on the edge of our seats waiting for someone to admit it....

and no Jason, i don't think there was a moral imperative, but when you've made tens of millions of pounds selling a lie, leave your fortune to the beard who pretended to be your missus in public and virtually nothing, not even the home you both lived in, to the partner whose wedding ring you wore and who nursed you though years of illness and held your hand while you died, it does leave a bitter aftertaste

"Selling a lie?" I don't understand. I thought Mercury made all his money from Queen. Was Queen popular because he actively called himself straight or because he was a great singer and performer? I tend to think the latter and straight or gay, the music wasn't a lie. It was music.

If he made no provision for his partner, well then that's his choice. I agree that I would have done otherwise but perhaps Mercury felt he was being used? Perhaps he made another provision and he had a contract with the beard to leave her everything beforehand? I'm less than pleased with his choice if he really did leave his partner high and dry but then many rich people don't always leave the most deserving people in their lives anything at all.

northwestone

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
to be honest Jason, i always thought it a miracle that the whole freddie gay thing managed to STAY in the closet: the band was call queen, freddie was a clone, who quite often sang about being queer in a roundabout way, got the whole band dragged up to sing songs about coming out of the closet....but i guess people just didn't want to hear it....

however, i think his decision to stay silent about his racial heritage, sexuality and HIV status was more to do with the knowledge that a vast number of the people buying his music would be less inclined to do so from an asian queen with AIDS and being a great singer and performer probably would not have provided success for him on quite the same scale if the truth was out.

northwestone

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
i don't blame freddie for any of it, i just think it's a shame that people still have to perpetuate lies in order to get along in life and that the fewer people who elect to buck that trend, the longer it will endure.

Freddie was in a position to make a huge change and he chose not to, even the band felt shamed enough to set up a foundation and raise millions of pounds for AIDS research after his death....and the sad stupid thing about all of it, is that had Queen AND Freddie chosen to do that four or five years earlier, he might not have died at all.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
His religion was also Zoastrian as a side note.

Did it matter that he was gay? I think most people kinda figured that out some time ago but it didn't stop them buying albums or packing arenas.

Dare I say it without getting shouted of the board as "Un-American" but if Queen relied on the US for most of it's fan base, they would have been pulled apart as homosexual, especially when the lead singer is perceived to have come from Iranian/Indian/Arabic descent.

I just don't think the predominantly Brit and Euro audiences cared so much.

northwestone

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
weirdly tho didn't queen get massive again in the US AFTER freddie had died?

apparently pop pickers, Queen sold more than 300 million albums. more than the beatles over here and their greatest hits compilation is the biggest selling album in the uk EVER

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...i just think it's a shame that people still have to perpetuate lies in order to get along in life and that the fewer people who elect to buck that trend, the longer it will endure.
If only you knew, if only you had the slightest understanding of why. When you read your own words, they alone indicate why people still hide- myself being a prime example (which I am currently about to go into elsewhere- as in the Iraqi thread, which I began earlier today). Yes, it would be nicer and much better if the lies did not need to be perpetuated; but, sadly they still do because ignorance exists everywhere. Momentary vanishings of such ignorance are just that- momentary! If he had come clean at the time, would the world have listened to him openly? Extremely doubtful. Even now, some 16 years (yesterday being the anniversary of his passing) after his passing gays are still held at arms length in many communities, parents still toss their HIV+ child out the door as if it is a reflection only upon themselves (the parents). I was speaking with a young man recently, born and raised in New York City, his parents are both educated and maintain good jobs. When this young man told his parents he was gay, they ordered him out of their home immediately- he joined the ranks of homeless persons in the world as he dealt with the agony of being disowned by his own family. See? Things are not all that wonderful- if a young man is now despised by his own family, what chance would some music player have? The world thrives upon being deaf and blisfully ignorant of what is happening around them and as much as it grieves me to say this, it will not fully change- not ever. Ask any person who is a minority or who is handicapped in any way. Ask them about the discrimination which continually throws up a wall in front of them. My name alone brings looks of fear, hatred and anger. After recent events (September of 2001) men and women have been spat upon, beaten, cursed, turned down for employment- many of these persons were born and raised in the U.S.A. and many are second or third generation. Once more, I remind you, people make choices- not always good ones; yet, they are choices and each choice provides in and of its self a lesson.

Freddie was in a position to make a huge change and he chose not to, even the band felt shamed enough to set up a foundation and raise millions of pounds for AIDS research after his death....and the sad stupid thing about all of it, is that had Queen AND Freddie chosen to do that four or five years earlier, he might not have died at all.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing; now, isn't it? At the time when Freddie was diagnosed fear still stalked the world and he himself was perhaps terrified for his life-and not just from the deadly disease which was about to claim his body for its own. When Ryan White, died in the springtime of the preceding year, people were still ostracizing him and threatening his life. In the years since the death of both of these persons children have been banned from swimming pools, excluded from activity with other children, adults have been beaten senseless, fired from their jobs... Did Mercury have a choice? Of course he did. We all have choices, and we often make mistakes. Then again, all mistakes can be viewed as learning experiences for others.