Did you know there is no way to read the 'proper' ToS before becoming a member?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManlyBanisters, Aug 21, 2010.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Isn't that just the stupidest thing ever? :rolleyes:

Hick and I did an experiment today. Neither of us created a new account, so neither of us broke the ToS.

I noticed that the only apparent copy of the ToS is in the 'Questions...' forum, that forum is not visible to non members. I was on Skype with Hick at the time so I asked him, as an reader who wasn't logged in (because he can't, because he's banned), to look for the ToS. In the 'Forum Rules' stickies at the top of each fora there is a link to the thread in 'Questions...', which of course Hick can't see because he's not logged in. I logged out and went looking too. Nada - no way to view the ToS.

So we postulated that the ToS must appear to the registering user. So Hick started the process of creating a new account. First page asks for your DoB and you click to create an 'electronic signature'. Then you get a page with this:

After which you check Agree and click Register and then are presented with a page to create a Username and profile, etc - the button at the bottom there is Complete Registration. Neither of us filled out a profile or completed registration.

If, and I emphasise the IF, the user chooses to before registering he/she can click on the FAQ from the front page, then follow the link to LPSG Specific Information, then follow the link to the Terms of Service, at which point the user see this following outdated version of the ToS.

The Current ToS actually looks like this:

Quite different, huh?

Anyway - to cut a long post short (whoops, too late :rolleyes:) - Mods - do you think it'd be too much to ask to have the current ToS where unregistered users can actually see it and perhaps even where the fuck registering users can know what the fuck they are agreeing to as they sign up.

Just a thought :smile:

2. JF

JF
    Gold Member

Thanks for pulling this together, MB - I'll report this so it appears for discussion by the entire team in the Mod forum.

It does seem worthy of attention for exactly the reasons you point out - new members should be aware of what they are signing up for before they go through the process.

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

^ What he said.

Thanks for bringing this up!

4. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Yeah nice save MB.

5. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

I think new members should be REQUIRED to read the ToS before joining, and certainly before posting. I go looking for forum rules when I join a new forum so I didn't even remember them not being obvious when I joined - they should be though.

Well done, MB. Hopefully the mods will fix this up.

6. Enid

Gold Member

Albums:
    My home is wherever reality seems elastic and the
    Awesome catch, this is an excellent idea.

7. Kotchanski

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, you're all very right and this needs to be corrected.

Rob is the only person with access to that part of the site however, so this has been reported to him, and I'm sure he'll get it sorted soon.

While it isn't a perfect solution, given our limited access to certain parts of the site, I'm going to add a copy to the new members section and this one, on the assumption that most people browse a little before signing up so it will at least be in sections available for guest browsing.

8. Rob_E

Staff Member Administrator

The rules are now available at http://www.lpsg.org/rules.

I have forwarded all of the old links to this new page.

New members are now required to accept these rules prior to registration.

This has been an issue for some time. Thank you all for continuing to bug.... erm... remind me about this.

9. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

Yay! This is fantastic news. Good on you for getting onto this issue.

10. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Go, Madame Porkchop!!:kiss: Only you could point something like out in such grandioso style.

Draft saved Draft deleted