Did you like Michelle Obama's dress?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought it was heinous! She looked like a black widow spider. :12: Worse she kept awkwardly pulling at that stupid shrug jacket. :irked: I like her, I think she is smart and savvy; but she is in dire need of a good fashion stylist. This is not the first time she has appeared in public wearing something that was either ugly or totally inappropriate for her figure.

What possessed her to wear a sleeveless dress, outside, in Chicago, in November? :confused:

Did you like Michelle Obama's dress?

The Dress
Michelle Obama waves to the crowd as U.S. President elect Barack Obama walks on stage to give his victory speech November 4, 2008 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

President-Elect Barack Obama won a decisive victory in a quick election last night, but the vote is still split on his wife's wardrobe.

Designed by Narciso Rodriguez, the dress Michelle Obama wore on stage in Chicago matched the Obama family's striking red and black color scheme, but was anything but conventional, and maybe a little ... odd.

"Only thing I can think of was that they decided on a black/red motif for the family and ... she chose poorly," a Big Blog reader said on Twitter.

"I like her, but the dress was just plain ugly," wrote another reader on Facebook.

The future First Lady's outfits have previously sparked fashion runs to White House/Black Market, H&M and other stores.

Would you put this dress on your must-have list?

Update: From a related blog post, here's the dress as it was shown on the runway during Rodriguez's spring 2009 show. Some readers think it looks better without the black sweater Obama wore over it. Can't blame her, though. Chicago gets cold in November.

Posted by Monica Guzman at November 5, 2008 9:49 a.m.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
I think the GOP may have some spare clothes laying around that could be lent to the effort.... :tongue:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
She did say that, but not everything from J.Crew can be worn by every body. Mom and I thought she looked kinda like a frumpy school teacher.:redface:
I would look SPECTACULAR in that little gold outfit.......I wonder if Michelle and I are the same size??? :cool:(I LOVED the purple number she wore the night Barack secured the democratic nomination.)

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I would look SPECTACULAR in that little gold outfit.......I wonder if Michelle and I are the same size??? :cool:(I LOVED the purple number she wore the night Barack secured the democratic nomination.)
That was nice! Even though she is very fit and appears to have no flab, I prefer her in things with sleeves. To me sleeveless seems too casual for someone of her stature and importance.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
She can get a fashion advisor now.

Hmmm.. I wonder if Sarah Palin is available for a consult? :boggled:

Someone needs to coach Michelle to not "trundle" while she walks, too. Petty criticism, but it annoys me nonetheless.

Altitude

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
hmm, i liked her dress last night, thought she looked really nice. cindy mccain on the other hand, yikes. usually she looks snappy in the loud colors, but last night looked terrible in that drab baby puke color

talldarknathletic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think people are making a big deal of it because she is now a figurehead (refering to the Jackie O comment). I heard rumors that Oprah is becoming a Mrs. Obama consultant. Not sure how I feel about that, but if she can point Mrs. Obama in the right fashion direction everything will be okay. At the moment, I think her garb was aimed at the EVERYDAY mother / wife. She did that well but now needs to step up to the plate.

If we are going to talk about fashion, Obama needs a better tailor. Great style (hard to mess up) but the fit seems to be off often.

talldarknathletic

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My point is she is an intelligent accomplished woman. Why does everyone make a big deal about how she dresses?

An accomplished woman or man for that matter doesn't have to stop at being extremely intelligent and accomplished. Unfortunately, for women it seems as if "dress" is the next step to being rounded. I know where you are coming from NUDEYORKER and am torn on this one...Catch 22?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hmmm.. I wonder if Sarah Palin is available for a consult? :boggled:

Someone needs to coach Michelle to not "trundle" while she walks, too. Petty criticism, but it annoys me nonetheless.
Yes, I have noticed that she sometimes walks like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman . . . before the makeover.

My point is she is an intelligent accomplished woman. Why does everyone make a big deal about how she dresses?
Because she is in the public eye. Do you not remember the media blitz about Bella Abzug's hats?