Did You Pay Your Student Loan(s)?

Did you pay off your student loan(s)?

• Someone else paid it off for me (government agency, military, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I never took out a Student Loan.

I remember that I didn't qualify for any financial aid (grants or such) because when I was a baby my parents put money in my name. It wasn't enough to pay for my whole college education.....but it sure as heck messed everything up. And I don't really know why they put the money in my name and called it my college fund.....they didn't use it to pay for my college. I guess it was an emergency fund. My parents ended up paying cash for my college and they did the same thing for my brother. I also worked for spending money. When I got married......I got to bring my college fund money into the marriage. I guess it was kind of like my dowry.....or what my parents gave to my husband for taking me off of their hands. But then I ended up having to help my husband pay off his Student Loan......so I guess it all ends up even in the wash.

I can't imagine what it is going to be like when it is time for my children to go to college. How expensive it could be. I hope to be able to follow in my parents footsteps.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For you "well educated" LPSG-ers who graduated with a two-year associate degree, four-year undergrad degree, masters, or piled higher and deeper certificate did you take out and pay off any student loans?
-------------------

Since I started the thread: Yes, I took out just over $10,000 in GSL loans, at 9.5% which took much longer than I anticipated to pay off. But I did it.

And yes, I feel comfortably elitist about it, because I know of hundreds who defaulted by taking about bankruptcy when it was still possible to do so.

Anyone else?

I took out and am paying my student loans.

Even though I taught special Education and worked in and around city schools, I was denied educator loan forgiveness.

Hippie Hollow Girl

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I took out and am paying my student loans.

Even though I taught special Education and worked in and around city schools, I was denied educator loan forgiveness.

That's terrible Lex......although I have heard getting the educator loan forgiveness is like jumping through hoops. The rules keep changing and they forget to tell the teachers what they need to do.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That's terrible Lex......although I have heard getting the educator loan forgiveness is like jumping through hoops. The rules keep changing and they forget to tell the teachers what they need to do.

It happens. They determined that because I consolidated my loans, I no longer qualified. I only consolidated them in order to have a single person to whom I owed money. UGH.

Over 13 years of educational service and not a break. Oh well.

njreg

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I was fortunate enough not to have to take out loans. My parents paid for my first couple years, then after quite a bit of indecision (four majors!) I got a full-time job. I transferred universities, lost literally half of my credits and began taking classes one at a time. My employer paid for my classes via education reimbursement. And it only took me 13 years to finish my bachelor's degree. LOL.

When I went to graduate school, I had enough saved to pay for my degree and living expenses for two years. I finished in one year and saved a ton of money.

I realize that student loans are a great investment in your future, but I sure don't envy those of you who are stuck with them.

It took me 9 years, but I paid them off! What a relief that was. At the time (not nowadays) you could declare bankruptcy to get out of paying them. I refused to do that and paid it all back with interest at 9.5% I worked part-time the whole way through university to also help pay for school.

I have been quite successful in my career field. The best part is that I have no one to thank for where I am today. It kills me when I see kids at university studying on their parents dime and squandering the incredible opportunity they have for a first class education without having to pay a cent, or hold down part-time jobs. I think the expression "you don't value what you don't pay for" holds true in this case. I partied in university, but I always kept my eye on the prize of obtaining my degree. I worked too hard for the money, and I owed too much to squander any opportunity. I had friends in university who were lucky enough to have their family pay for them. Most of them squandered the opportunity as well. Guys like me who were paying thier own pay were far more serious in their studies than the guys who got a free pass. With the skyrocketing cost of education nowadays (I graduated 13 years ago), I really feel for the kids going through today.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
I didn't realize we could vote more than one option.

I was paying for my own education for awhile and then I used my entitlement from my GI Bill to finish. In the last semester I needed 3 classes to graduate. The VA allows you to maximinze your entitlement and go full time and take 2 classes you don't need to graduate if you want, provided it's in the final semester. I wanted this certification. So I went full time. 3/4 of the way throughmy system crashed and DELL did not have the CD driver online for it any more like the used to. My warranty had just lapsed and they no longer supported the driver. Had I been under warranty they would have given me a new manufacturer driver. A new driver, I might of as well bought a new system.

My tuition was more than my entitlement. So I dropped the two classes I didn't need. VA said I owed the two classes I dropped. I still graduated that semester. Under the rules I don't pay anything back because I did not have to retake that class to graduate and the benefit is until I have the degree. Had I not graduated that semester I would owe and even then I would only owe from the date that I disenrolled.

They gave me a bill for 1363. I fought it. They reduced it to $229. I was pissed off and paid it. Then I appealed it again and they denied my waiver, because I did not need a waiver, they agreed, the full time rate stands. I paid a full tuition balance in spite of dropping the course and my benefit didn't cover the full tuition rate I paid.

A lot of drama and some lecturing from an ignorant cow on the phone about not attending class (so did not happen). My projects are still on my old system. (Ask me why I will never buy another Dell). Finally I got a letter saying they my full time rate is retroactive and readjusted owing 0 dollars . So they should have never given me a bill, etc. I'll get my $229 back, minus a $17 fee for the transaction. Yep (I'm paying for their mistake).

I have two years left on my entitlement and want to pick up another Master's and I'm thinking do I want to bother with the hassle????