Did your parents make you pay rent?

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had to pay rent as soon as I started work at 18. My Mother saved the first years rent in secret and gave me it all back at the end of the year in the form of a savings account.

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had to pay rent as soon as I started work at 18. My Mother saved the first years rent in secret and gave me it all back at the end of the year in the form of a savings account.

That's a brilliant idea, and something to consider!

I'm hoping to instill in my future child a personal sense of financial responsibility. I wouldn't expect my child to move out at 18, but I'd still expect him/her to work and save money. Living at home should be in preparation for the future, not to extend one's childhood by 4 more years.

I think it's reasonable for one's child to live at home and have the freedoms of an adult, as long as he/she is working and saving up money for a downpayment on a home.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To live with them after 18 or at any time?

Mine didn't and they didn't want me to move out when I did. My father said as long as he's around I will always have a home if I need it.

I didn't spend much time at home after 18 and moved out before I was 19. Prior to that, I was taught the value of money and responsibility. Before leaving home, whenever I had a job, 50% of the check went to household expenses (rent, electric, phone, food). Tips, (I delivered for a local foodery), could have been kept to myself; however, I handed half of that over as well. Come on, these were the people who raised me, put clothing on my back, food on the table, provided shelter from the elements- the least I could do was give back to them, whether they'd asked for it or not.

One other thing- when I reached the age of 24, I was handed a handsome check by my Grandfather. Of the sum which I had always handed over, he'd taken it, placed it in a savings account for my future. The lessons learned of responsibility, stay with me to this day,

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Koha'
is the Maori act of giving' its $ these days compared to Kumara and Spuds in older times
Always been generous,i think that instilled it within me so no never paid rent or such (nor expected to) but art of Koha more than made up for it, felt Good giving willingly as well
as compared to being expected to contribute'
Left home at 16 (older Stalin type brother tried to be my Father)
We are all over each other now, supporting each other in case we fall down..ha
ended up returning to help Dad run the Biz, after all others Married and moved on
Poor/LUCKY Gay me, ha
enz

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I feel exactly the opposite. Placing an unreasonable financial burden on your children too early in life can keep them poor for the rest of their lives. It can ruin their lives.

I had friends who over-borrowed to go to college and get their degrees and live on their own while doing so, even while working 2-3 jobs at the same time, while their parents claimed that they were "teaching" them to be self-sufficient, and now they're still paying off college loan payments that cost 50% more than TheBoyfriend's mortgage and have never bought a house even though they're in their mid-thirties!

In the Asian community, it's exactly the opposite. Parents encourage their children to remain as debt free as possible and live at home until they leave school, or even until marriage and work and save their money. They're ready to buy a home in their early twenties. When they reach their mid-thirties, they're much more stable financially.

I've seen the results of both philosophies with my own friends. I have to say that the parents who kicked their kids out at 18 were stupid, considering where their kids ended up 20 years later.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Essentially I actually moved out when I was 15, I went to live with my grandparents (for two years to finish secondary school) to whom I payed half of any money I earnt. When I left home I worked full time for a year and then worked my whole way through art college. From the day I left my grandparents home at 17 I haven't had so much as ten euros from my family, I wouldn't ask for it and they wouldn't offer.

My family does not have the responsibility to pay for my life, I do, and everything I own, including my apartment and all my other possessions and property are mine, the fruits of my hard labour. I'm in no way beholden to anyone else and owe no one else any favours. I don't have huge debts and I know the value of euro. I live well and within my means. I'm extremely glad that growing up I was expected to be a contributory member of my family from a young age, because not only did it teach me that hard work and care with money would serve me well in the future but it gave me a responsible share and voice in family decision making which gave me skills which have been invaluable to me as an adult.

I remember my grandfather telling me stories of how poor his family were, his mother worked a newspaper stand on Lambeth bridge from early adolescence, and her mother worked a stall in Borough Market at least from the same age perhaps younger. My Grandma's father worked as a Navvy Navvy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and her family were dirt poor Irish immigrants.

All my Grandparents and parents worked from the age of 16 full time and were all living independently of their families at that age, while continuing to give money to their families, as was expected back then.

The fact that my grandparents built a comfortable and and successful life for themselves and their children from extremely humble beginnings is what has inspired me to be as financially independent as I can from the earliest age possible, and whenever possible to be as contributory to my family as I possible could.

Last edited:

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I feel exactly the opposite. Placing an unreasonable financial burden on your children too early in life can keep them poor for the rest of their lives. It can ruin their lives.

I had friends who over-borrowed to go to college and get their degrees and live on their own while doing so, even while working 2-3 jobs at the same time, while their parents claimed that they were "teaching" them to be self-sufficient, and now they're still paying off college loan payments that cost 50% more than TheBoyfriend's mortgage and have never bought a house even though they're in their mid-thirties!

In the Asian community, it's exactly the opposite. Parents encourage their children to remain as debt free as possible and live at home until they leave school, or even until marriage and work and save their money. They're ready to buy a home in their early twenties. When they reach their mid-thirties, they're much more stable financially.

I've seen the results of both philosophies with my own friends. I have to say that the parents who kicked their kids out at 18 were stupid, considering where their kids ended up 20 years later.

I agree with you.

If the kids are going to school, living at home makes sense. Of course that isn't possible if the kids are going to school in another city. If the kids are past 18 and not going to school, they should be working and contributing $$ to the family, as well as doing some of the work around the house.

FruityOatyBars

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't live with my parents however, my sister does and she pays rent to them at an equivalent (Or near) rate depending on what I pay for my flat. Mainly because my mother thinks that it's the fairest way to deal with us both

Media
No. They were obsessed with me saving money. So much so, that I offered to pay them just to shut them up. Every time I bought something they bitched and moaned.

I believe in saving money and I am all in for buying something you need or because you feel that you've earned that small luxury.