Digital Cameras - What To Get?

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm looking on ebay, trying to 'snipe' one cheap but I'm wondering if I should be going for the 8-10MP+ range or maybe something like 7MP or 6MP?

Also I heard you can't visually distinguish between 7.4MP and anything above that - is that true?

Its confusing because I've seen 5-6MP cameras go for hundreds of pounds and higher spec cameras (by known brands) go much cheaper.

What would you recommend?

geitjeshoeder

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you would like a compact model try the Canon Powershot A640 (10 megapixel) or last years Fujifilm E900 zoom (9 megapixel)... if you're going dSLR pick a EOS 300D/350D/400D body with a good lens (ie.18-80 f4)

Some older camera's like the Sony F717 5 megapixel will go for higher prices then new 8 megapixel compacts, because they have special feautures (the 717 can be used for infrared photography).

With DSLRS some people offer more money for an old Nikon D100 6.3 megapixel because it so bulky instead of slashing out that same money on a new Canon 400D 12 megapixel dSLR. Just because they like to look and feel.

With compact camera's a few basics need to be covered before you buy one. Check out dpreview.com and check out camera basics.

P.s. if you print things at 300dpi (normal photo qaulity), you're not going to see anything more on a 6 bij 4 inch then 2,16 megapixels
An average computer monitor only produces 1.33 megapixel (1280*1024). If you're going to go poster size, we'll thats another story. A1 posters take up 12 megapixels. Also having more megapixels will allow you to recut and edit your photo's with less loss in qaulity

unzipped

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Anyone ever seen the clip where the guy is taunting the bull and then the bull goes for him and strips him? Ends up with his tighty whities stuck to his horns.... if you have it - please send...

uz

geitjeshoeder

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Megapixels are nice, but a good lens which doesn't blur the overall image, a powerfull optical zoom (3x) which retains a nice and sharp image is also something to consider. If you look at cellphones with camera's inside it becomes clear that optics are the main problem when camera's are sized down to fit your pocket, most of them are wideangle and saturate the colour balance and skrew op the sharpness in the corners. Having 6 or more megapixels and 3 times or more optical zoom with a good crisp colour reproduction, you'll get nice prints up to 6"x 8"

@unzipped,
Have you tried Youtube?
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Cool. Also, I've seen this new popular brand called Megxon, sometimes Tekxon.

It SAYS its 12MP but it says the CMOS is only 7MP...so does it really only enlarge the image to 12MP resolution and not have 12MP quality? Just 12MP size...

I was thinking of buying it but not sure since it sounds a bit suspect.

I'll have a look around. I've been using a Lumix camera at work and its amazing. Even at 1MP it takes good quality pics. I think they're a bit expensive though?

gimme_another_inch

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the pixels are imporant in realtion to print size, with an 8MP camera you can print A3 size, with mine and a little mainpulation I can print 10x15.
you have to decide if you want a compact camera or a reflex one, of course prices and capabilites can't compare but it depends on your skill and the usage you wanna make out of it.
I have both a compact, a sony, and a reflex and you can't use the compact for serious photography but you can not even always carry the reflex with lenses together with you.
If you have no skills I'll go on a compact (with wich you can take pictures of your worm, they usually have a macro capability ;-)) and then, if you like it, to turn on a more serious digital reflex with good lenses (that finally are what make a good photograpy).

good luck

p.s. why don't you give a look at Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

sjprep06

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
High Megapixel count and high resolutions are only useful if you're going to be doing a lot of detailed oriented pictures. Most people buy them just to get a super huge picture that only looks blurry in my opinion.

A normal person should be fine 5MP at the most and a good resolution. I'm quite partial to Canons, especially the Powershot line (which is not the same as it used to be. The one I have is an all metal construction. The newer ones are metal and plastic) because they were small, rugged and took relatively good pictures. Are you going to be doing anything special with this camera?

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unless you want to print large pictures 5~7mp should be plenty. Cannon is a good choice so is Sony. Kodak has some good, very simple to use models.
You can find a decent digital camera from about any manufacturer these days. It just depends on how much you want to spend on a camera.

uncuthungboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would buy a decent digicam with IS (imageStabilizer) and with some zoom (8-12x). If you have a zoom like a 3-4x, you need long arms or you need to walk near an object wich is sometimes impossible - e.g. taking pictures from an helicopter or a boat or ...

IS with superzoom is MUST!

5 megapixel or above is enough. And don't buy cameras which says "digital zoom" because you can't do anything with digital zoom. Only important zoom is optical.

And if you are not seriously into photographing and going to spend all your money on lenses, don't buy a dSLR-camera.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm looking on ebay, trying to 'snipe' one cheap but I'm wondering if I should be going for the 8-10MP+ range or maybe something like 7MP or 6MP?

Also I heard you can't visually distinguish between 7.4MP and anything above that - is that true?

Its confusing because I've seen 5-6MP cameras go for hundreds of pounds and higher spec cameras (by known brands) go much cheaper.

Your timing is uncanny...I spent most of this morning reading info and reviews on DSLR cameras, as the Mrs. wants one for Christmas.

The megapixel count only seems to be important if you plan on printing very large portraits (> 8x10), otherwise ~6MP seems plenty. From most sites I hit, the Nikon D40 seems to be the favorite for less than a grand.

I'm still waiting to hear from a professional, though... :wink:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SLR are professional cameras and usually quite big but you probably already knew that. Compact are more portable...and that's what I want. Guess I'll get a 6MP although I am tempted to get at least a 7...and I don't know why :tongue:

So much choice!

Nikon seem to be one of the most expensive brands :eek:

I just want a nice camera for a nice price.

Off to ebay again...

Equus14

Experimental Member
Media

I have a Cannon Powershot and I'm very happy with the photos it takes. It has good lenses. My only problem with it is that it has a limit to the amount of time it can take video. Apart from that, I'm happy with it.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You mean the LCD screen that flips out? They do look cool.

Equus: If you get more memory for the camera (SD) it should take longer videos. But if you have a lot of memory (and no pictures on the camera) and it still stops after a certain amount of time, maybe you've set it to only record for a fixed time?

Anyway it looks like I'm gonna have to wait til 1st Dec (payday) and get one for nearly a ton :tongue:

Sniping seems impossible! Or should I keep trying to snipe?

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah but I don't think many of the compact ones have that...and the ones that do are about two ton! :tongue:

I'll keep looking :smile:

I bought someone's christmas present for 26p today on ebay lol (free postage). Think I'll get em something else too :cool: