Digital Gay Life?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Smaccoms, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    As anyone noticed lately how gay life is increasingly limited to being online? I recently watched documentaries about gay life in the 70's and 80's, back when it was out in the open. Shouldn't we bring it back outside into the world again? Besides, my computer is beginning to die and I for one cannot afford a new one...

2. crescendo69

Gold Member

My computer and I have an ongoing love/hate relationship.

3. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

What is gay life?

4. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^^^^see, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Gay and lesbians aren't seen as much in our culture because they're all online instead. We should go back outside again, like our fore fathers! Who's with me?

5. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    Gay life = the lives and happenings of gay people.

You do know who gay people are, right?

6. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    good question, I'm not really sure if he does or not. More reason for us to go outside. Let's have a parade! I've never been to one before...

7. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

I'm just wondering what is unique about being gay that causes them to have different lives.

8. crescendo69

Gold Member

Easier to stay closeted online?

9. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your naivete continues to amaze me.

10. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is wrong. How are we going to make a better and gayer world if we stay indoors out of fear? I refuse to accept online communication and shameful sex as the culmination of my life as a gay man. I am going to discover how I can help to push gay rights for all of us so that we can have more than that everywhere.

11. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

All you are saying to me is that someones sexuality runs their life and that a gay person is inherently different in that they MUST live their life a certain way solely because they prefer the company of the same sex.

12. crescendo69

Gold Member

I agree it is wrong, Smaccoms.

13. karldergrosse

Gold Member

Sexuality in and of itself does not dominate gay persons' lives--nor are they inherently different from straights. But how they live their lives is to a great extent of necessity determined by the homophobia that is still rampant in society. Have you been listening to the current crop of Republican presidential hopefuls? Each one appears to be attempting to outdo all the others in excessive hatred of gays. Ron Paul, for example, is cozying up to a vile "minister" who wants to replace the Constitution with biblical law--including the extermination of gays. If the situation were reversed--i.e., repressive, threatening heterophobia--you would most likely better understand the situation.

14. B_Jingoist

B_Jingoist New Member

I would believe that, if it were possible to identify a homosexual by looking at them.

Someone can hate another group of people all they want. As long as they don't interfere their rights there is nothing illegal about it.

Not to mention the amount of homosexuals in movies or television. You have a few nut jobs who don't tolerate homosexuals.

Those same nut jobs protest funerals of soldiers, of which I am one. It doesn't stop me even though 90% of the population doesn't understand what I do with my life.

15. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    I must apologize for I was in no way trying to attack you; I should have said so in the first place. I was simply trying to follow the line of thought you started for the desired outcome, which I presented. On top of that, I feel the need to thank you. THANK YOU!!! You helped me to better clarify my concerns.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. This is why we need to continue to be politically active no matter where we live and who we live with. As long as we are prejudiced and prosecuted against by those who run the lives of the people (the government) and the people themselves, we need to fight back for our rights. Gathering in numbers to celebrate who we are has become a part of passing the torch from one generation to the next. How else is the new generation going to learn who they are and how they fit in with the rest of us? What are we doing to ensure the lives of not only ourselves but all others of our kind? Though the job may never be done, it is vital for us to fight for our lives nonetheless. This is what I believe, and this is what I will fight for in America, "land of the free".

#15 Smaccoms, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  16. dazedandconfused

where in the hell do you get that idea from Ron Paul. Because he doesnt lead for joy at the idea of gay marriage?

17. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Really?

I'd say there are more Gay Pride events, parades etc than in the 70's/80's I'd also say that there are more gay events than ever before. I view most of the 70's as being totally club/bath house centered. Now a days there are more gay groups popping up everywhere.

18. Smaccoms

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dude, Ron Paul is vehemently anti-gay.

As I understand it there was a lot of political activism in the gay and lesbian community during the 70's and 80s.

I am curious to hear if you think the current level of activity in the gay and lesbian community is enough, particularly in the United States.

19. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If sexuality truly did not cause other people to react to you in a different way, then it might be nearly possible for it not to control how you live your life. But as people do react very differently, a person cannot continue regardless of their own sexuality. At the very least, it is always necessary to make choices about assumptions people make that you are not gay: do you allow them to misunderstand or pro-actively make a point of telling them they are wrong? Do they then beat you up or blacklist you? Happily, usually not, but my point is it is always necessary to be pro-active to be understood. Or you choose to be misunderstood.

Aside from that, obviously it affects how I live my life because socially I am interested in a different group of people. So not much point going where they are not.

Ah, well the Nazis settled the matter requiring pink triangles to be worn. But how did they know who to pin triangles on? Are you saying it is perfectly fine to be gay just so long as I do nothing whatsoever to let anyone else know I am gay?

I would have thought that things are already pretty bad if people have to start asserting their legal rights to defend themselves.

20. dazedandconfused

anti-gay. Thats news to me

Draft saved Draft deleted