Disaster in Asia

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jumbo747jet, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jumbo747jet

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

The disaster in Asia caused by earthquakes and following tsunamies is one of the worst in our time.
    Please donate money in order to assist the victims of the disaster.

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I have donated to The Salvation Army for help and relief in Asia.

I can be assured that when I give money to TSA that, unlike many other mainstream charities, the money will go where it is intended by the donor.

3. Imported

Gold Member

Kazon: Pecker I agree with you about TSA. I have given to other so called charities only to realize that I have been taken....

4. Dr. Bubbles

Dr. Bubbles New Member

Jumbo,

Thank you for placing this request out to the network of lpsgers. I, too, strongly encourage each of you to give.

For those working in academia, if you have a leadership or service learning department for faculty or a public service department for students, I encourage you to approach them about doing a field trip to one of the Asian countries for their service projects. I am working with officials at my university to see how best to make those arrangements. Truly this would be an ideal service project.

Blessings,
    bb

5. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

My church is going to do a large donation of not only money, but of supplies to send, but we are doing it through one of our mission agencies so we can be assured that the money we send actually gets to the final destination, NOT taken up in beaurocratic red tape and the administrative costs of running the organization. My pastor said that he had been doing the research and that with some of the relief organizations that less than 60% of each dollar sent will actually get used for it's intended purpose. He said that he won't sned money to any agency that sends less than 85-90% of every dollar, and preferable a higher percentage than that. I don't think that most Americans realize that many of the so called charitable organizations aren't all that charitable.

6. Freddie53

Gold Member

Yes, your pastor is correct. According to surveys The Salvation Army which is a church and all the mainstream churches large enough to be included in a national survey scored at the top of percentage of money going to where it is supposed to go.

In my church the United Methodist Church, regular giving takes care of the administrative costs so that special gifts to special places goes to where it is supposed to go and not get eaten up in administrative costs. Some groups that raise money have a very bad percentage of the money actually getting to where it is supposed to go.

7. jonb

Gold Member

Personally, I tend to donate time or material goods to charities. Since shorts and ramen aren't liquid, there's no chance of administrative costs screwing them up.

8. Imported

Gold Member

Kazon: Hi All.

Another direct way to assist in the relief effort is through Habitat for Humanity International or through you local Habitat afilliate offices. As the funds developement board member of my local Habitat for Humanity, many of us are sending out people, money & supplies. Habitat has a strong presence in many of the areas worst hit.

Guys & Galls...please keep in mind that our dollar value goes a very, very long way. It costs about 150k to build a Habitat home in my County, but about $500 to build a simular Habitat home in many of the devistated areas in question.

www.habitat.org/

Thanks

9. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

YEs, Habitat is a fantastic organization, as is the Salvation Army, which is a denomination. My church is going to donate through some of the missions agencies that we sponsor, but being that we are Baptist, and are autonomous, we partner with missions agencies rather than having a Board of Missions like the United Methodist Church has.

Speaking of Habitat, my congregation is building it's 11th Habitat house this year, and also starting next year will be building several Habitat homes on our church property as part of a community redevelpment. It's exciting to see what Habitat does for people and how it can radically change their life!

10. Imported

Gold Member

Kazon:
    Hey all...please do not forget the great work that your pocket change can do to assist in the relief/rebuild efforts in Asia....our money can & does do infinitely more over there than it would ever do here.

Thanks

11. Imported

Gold Member

Kazon: Another friendly reminder for us not to forget those who are infinitely worse off that we are.

12. Imported

Gold Member

KTownBlondy: i felt so sad when that happened :( and the number of deaths kept rising

my family donated to red cross and my dad wanted to do salvation army too so we donated to both

Draft saved Draft deleted