Discovery of HIV's weak spot boosts vaccine quest

clear

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Discovery of HIV's weak spot boosts vaccine quest
19:32 03 September 2009

Antibodies that bind to a hitherto unknown weak spot on HIV have been found, reviving hopes that a potent vaccine is within reach.

Article Here: Discovery of HIV's weak spot boosts vaccine quest - health - 03 September 2009 - New Scientist

Study Report Here: Broad and Potent Neutralizing Antibodies from an African Donor Reveal a New HIV-1 Vaccine Target -- Walker et al., 10.1126/science.1178746 -- Science

Enjoy!

T.D.

Ciao-:cool:

For whatever reason, HIV threads do very poorly here. It's sad and one of the things that truly bugs me (pardon the pun) about LPSG and the gay community in general.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
That's not entirely without reason, Jason. Think about how many "discoveries" we've heard about that were "breakthroughs", that later ended up fading away with no follow-ups. Remember the "pasteurization" process, where they pumped the blood out, heated it to "kill" the virus, and then pumped it back in? There have been SO many "cures" and vaccinations, that were "just around the corner", that never went anywhere beyond that initial fantastic report. It's tough to put stock in them anymore. I'm not at all jaded, in fact, I'm very hopeful. I hang on each and every one of those reports, but unfortunately, there has yet to be one, that I've ever heard any more about.

Point made and taken. I don't know whether I'm just naive or everyone else is just jaded.

clear

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For whatever reason, HIV threads do very poorly here. It's sad and one of the things that truly bugs me (pardon the pun) about LPSG and the gay community in general.

Very good point jason. One that is not lost in my own observations (which is why I have not posted many, of the numerous articles and reports I have come across, to this forum).

I think what novice_btm said above is more the reason though. For those who would normally care- or have an opinion one way or the other -about this very terrible affliction, viewing or commenting on threads like this/about it, might be viewed as an exercise in futility. If for no other reason than- as novice_btm pointed out -none of the other supposed hopeful or promising discovers ever panned out to anything more then the announcement itself. Beyond that, for me there is always this sneaky- and mind you very often unsubstatiated -suspicion that there are some forces at work that appear to be hindering progress- on the HIV/AIDS front -overall.

Come to think of it, I can't remember that last major disease to be "cured" or "eradicated", ever since medical/pharmaceutical industries became as powerful as they are now. The only thing that comes close- and that I can recall -was that discovery back in the 90's that the majority of stomach ulcers were actually caused by a bacteria- not by stress or spicy food -and simply required only a short treatment of antibiotics to be rid of them. Back then, though, one of the doctors involved in the original discovery literally had to prove it by infecting himself with the bacteria- thereby ulcerating his own stomach -and go through the treatments himself, just because of the incredible resistance and disbelief from the aformentioned industries about it. Now I concede to be ignorant of a lot of things, but it does not take that big of a stretch to figure out why there was so much resisitance. In fact, in the wikipedia entry for this very issue, it states:

"In 1997, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with other government agencies, academic institutions, and industry, launched a national education campaign to inform health care providers and consumers about the link between H. pylori and ulcers. This campaign reinforced the news that ulcers are a curable infection, and that health can be greatly improved and money saved by disseminating information about H. pylori."

Anyway, I'll leave my conspiracy theories for another time, lol. My point ultimately is that I hope this discovery turns out to be the one we need to eradicate this awful plague on human dignity, and that any negative forces- both real and imagined -don't interfere with its potential/progress.

Regards,

T.D.

Ciao-:cool:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Being that I don't have the virus personally (through my own luck, I'm sure), my only knowledge on the subject matter comes from people that I know who are positive and from various research I look up voluntarily online (usually sparked from other conversations). Certain members on this board have been very informative and helpful with spreading the message.

This, like some of the other potential discoveries in the past, do get us one step closer to finding a cure. I just hope we get to the point when we do have one. It would be a stupendous achievement.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

All I can say is: I don't know too many people that love talking about communicable diseases. On here, who has in-depth discussions about Ebola? Avian flu? H1N1? Shigellosis? Hepatitis? :shrug:

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Point made and taken. I don't know whether I'm just naive or everyone else is just jaded.
I'm sure it's a bit of both, with an addition of what Invis pointed out, sprinkled on top.

I'm right there with you, though. I follow all of the cure/vaccination articles, and I keep diligently, and perhaps naively, pinning my hopes on every one. I do think that a lot of people have become jaded, and maybe even just accepted that there's "no cure", and left it at that. Of course, we could verge off into a whole discussion about it just being the Russian roulette, that comes along with engaging in same-sex sex, brought on by self-loathing in the "Community", etc. etc. etc. ... Most of all, I just think that the majority of the draw to this site, for all of the amazing discussions and intelligence that we have going on here, is the underlying attraction to big dicks, and so the subject is too much of a wet blanket to throw on the party with any regularity.

Back to the "jaded" discussion, this is reflected in general society as well. Just a couple years ago, you'll probably remember that (love her or hate her) Madonna was involved, as a major supporter and voice, in that huge campaign about HIV/AIDS still being out there. Reminding people that while we've slipped on discussing it, that it's still a very active threat. When's the last time you saw someone wearing one of those red ribbons? In the '90s, you couldn't escape them. Now, they're practically relics of a long forgotten past. Unfortunately, it's not because we've found a cure.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I also think that 1 of the reasons why people stopped talking that much about AIDS is that there are coctails that really help with the virus!
But people forget that they don`t cure u, they just reduce the number of virus in your blood!
and what about Africa and all those forgotten places where people can`t get those meds cause they have to work like a half of the year for a 1 month supply:(
People are still dieing in many parts of the world....

Last edited: