Discrimination in college?

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yea I did I am already in a new room 2 floors up but my hall director brought the papers to me a few hours ago the guy is bringing formal alligations against me and askin I not live in the building at all. so as of now I have to wait for the meeting on wednesday with the dean and the 5 members of the NCAA.

Uhm... a few hours ago? On a Saturday? After Thanksgiving??

Those are some ODD business hours your hall directors (and indeed your residence halls) keep there in Alabama. Here in Delaware, students won't be let back into the residence halls until tomorrow (Sunday) at 3 pm...

And, i don't know how it is elsewhere, but here in Delaware, if a student complains about his/her roommate (no matter who is really "to blame") it is he/she who levies the complaint who is removed to a new room.

spartalee

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Our dorms stay open since we only have 3 days off and the ra's normally stay were not required to move until the 10th of december. plus since I play sports I still have practice. also we have international students some of whom do not celebrate thanksgiving. and the reson why I am in trouble is he complained and we have that no tolerance thing. and as of now I have one witness for myself (a gay member of the rehabilitation staff) I dont care about the room I just cant loose my eligability if I do no more scholarship, or hope of NFL. so as of now I can only gather character witnesses and like you guys said write down all violations etc.

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes invisibleman. Making the couple room together would have been a sensible solution to this dilemma.

I find that discriminatory.....if a straight couple cant room together why can a gay couple? Solution or no solution its still biased

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well see the reason I was upset is because now that he pulled the discrimination card I have to go before a board and have a good chance of not being able to play college football. the NCAA states any form of dicrimination results in the loss of eligability to play college sports of any kind. basically if he testifies against me I will not be able to play, no matter what I say.

Also I thought of switching with his boyfriends aswell but his b/f stays in the senior hall (basically all graduating or near graduating members are there and the room cost is 3times that of mine) because of a private bathroom in each room as well as a miny kithen

and in response to snoozen I in no way want anyone to know about it becuse that is antoher good way to loose my eligibility. He is the one rallying for his cause.

In college I served on the NCAA-SAAC (student athletic advisory committee).....sit down and talk to your roommate about how you really are not prejudiced. Lay the whole thing out for him and talk to him about your concerns about football.....your RA should be cool enough to back you upif needed. If your RA isnt cool, go talk to whoever is in charge of the RA's.....and lay it out for him. If its still an issue lay it out for the athletic director.....basically keep going up if needed.

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
Stress it is his behavior, repeated violaions of policy/rules, upsetting you. Again, document everything you can. My wife says, if it is not written down it did not happen. As Joe Friday would say...just the facts, nothing but the facts.

Good luck...BTW will be coming down to AL in Jan....Anniston. I love it down there...pace of life etc.

OKFarmer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Spartalee:

I spent 3 years as a resident advisor in college. In every situation where 2 roomies simply couldn't get along, the one who complained wound up having to move. That was the rule not the exception at my university (unless the one complaining had a parent in politics). I'm 6'4" and 270 myself, and tell you from my experience that you will always be seen as posing a physical threat to someone else. Its stupid, and its size discrimination; however, that is how society works. As my friend tells his son, "You have the unfortunate experience of living in the only time in history that it is bad to be a straight white male." One would think the fact that you lodged complaints previously should have helped, but it didn't. The one who seems to be the underdog wins because his voice is backed by people willing to sue. I definitely feel for you but have seen this from the side of the school. Notice you will never see someone who has truly experienced discrimination calling it for a frivilous reason. Any form of discrimination is a horrid thing. However, being in the smallest majority will always make you the loser in these situations. :(

dreamer20

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
spartalee said:
Well see the reason I was upset is because now that he pulled the discrimination card I have to go before a board and have a good chance of not being able to play college football.

In college I served on the NCAA-SAAC (student athletic advisory committee).....sit down and talk to your roommate about how you really are not prejudiced.

The time for such a talk has passed b-99. The roommate didn't cooperate with sparta after 3 such talks regarding the former issue. spartalee has to appear before a board regarding his roommate's charges. If sparta were to do as you suggested, b-99, the roommate could claim that sparta met with him to initimdate him into withdrawing his complaint. The roomate is dangerous and best avoided until this issue is settled in the company of impartial persons.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Well see the reason I was upset is because now that he pulled the discrimination card I have to go before a board and have a good chance of not being able to play college football. the NCAA states any form of dicrimination results in the loss of eligability to play college sports of any kind. basically if he testifies against me I will not be able to play, no matter what I say.

Also I thought of switching with his boyfriends aswell but his b/f stays in the senior hall (basically all graduating or near graduating members are there and the room cost is 3times that of mine) because of a private bathroom in each room as well as a miny kithen

and in response to snoozen I in no way want anyone to know about it becuse that is antoher good way to loose my eligibility. He is the one rallying for his cause.

That's fucked up. You need a lawyer. Avoid that ex roommate--he's trouble.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
spartalee, I think the only way this guy will show up at your NCAA hearing to testify was if he is a serious psycho or if he truly feels you did something discriminatory.

As you present it, the things he said about you could only have been to cover his own ass after your complaint (like snoozan said). If he knows he was just bullshitting, he will likely want to stay away from an official hearing-type situation. He would need to lie publicly and dramatically for the purpose of causing you significant harm - and since you are already out of the room, what would he have to gain?

Now if you think the issue is that this guy is actually a psycho, the kind of person who goes out of their way to fuck with other people, then invisibleman is right, talk to a lawyer, or talk to somebody. There must be a way for you to avoid any more unjust consequences.

capt. nemo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As my friend tells his son, "You have the unfortunate experience of living in the only time in history that it is bad to be a straight white male." :(

Ummm, yeah. All those black dyke Presidents and CEOs, in congress and on corporate boards, making it hard for the rest of us.

OKFarmer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The friend who made the statement is a white male in his 40's just now seeking a college education. The priniciple idea being that when everyone else can claim minority preference (check out any non-appointed/elected government position), his son had better make sure he was much better qualified. The whole don't screw up like I did lesson.

D_Neeson Niceone

Experimental Member
Media
Most of what needs to be said has been said, but let me reiterate a few things:

Don't lay down on this, this isn't any different that if your roomate came out of nowhere with a bat and started going at you. You wouldn't just stand there and take the hits, you've got to defend yourself -- except here a lot more is at stake. Have you informed your parents, have you informed your team, have you informed your coaches? You want them behind you on this. And when people say get things documented, they also mean get it signed and dated by the person who is providing the information. Get every detail you need to prove your story from everyone you need and get them to write and sign their contribution. Also ask if they would be willing to speak at a hearing about said event. Also, does your college have an omnibudsperson aka a person who's job it is to represent the student(s) to the faculty and administration? Find that person asap.

You must always be calm, collective, but hurt. You're the victim, but you're a stable person. You want your roommate to be the opposite. You need all parties involved to see this guy is a stick of dynamite and his emotions cause him to explode and go way over the line (remember this for your character statements). Oh and on the subject of character witnesses, remember to have an offense too. What's in question isn't whether or not he's gay, but is his character of someone who would falsify a claim of discrimination because he didn't want to stop breaking dorm rules.

Plan to succeed in the hearing with the dean and the NCAA, but don't fail to have a backup plan. Call your lawyer now and be ready in case things do not go in your favor.

Standard Deviant

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm not sure I understand why you wouldn't welcome being moved to another room. What's the difference whether you move or your roommate moves? I would just say, okay, fine, thanks, I'll move.

As far as anyone saying he feels threatened by you because you're tall and muscular, that is another story. You should go to FIRE, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, for help. And you should write an intelligent letter to the office of discrimination at your school (there must be one--equal opportunity office, whatever they might call it) saying that it is discriminatory against you for the RA to claim fear of you for your physical appearance.

But I would treat that concern separately from being moved. If you see being moved as opposed to having your roommate moved as some kind of "punishment" that's your own perception, not much to stand on there objectively. I mean, if it were a house and you owned it, then of course you couldn't be expected to move, but a dorm room situation is very different, it isn't like either of you "owns" it. You're best off just taking the chance to move and enjoying your new room.