Discuss: why separate the sexes in locker-rooms/bathrooms?

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I was showering at the gym this morning when my thoughts drifted about the configuration of the men's shower area and I wondered if the women's was exactly the same or just similar.

And then this thought: why, exactly, do we insist on separating men and women in this way? We are all adults, we all know what the other sex's body parts look like (or will eventually find out anyway), we all have essentially the same bodily functions.

Now, you might say that we need to separate the sexes to keep, for example, the men from hitting on the women. But, if that is the case, how do we deal with gay men sharing lockers and showers with straight men? What about lesbian or bi women sharing with other women who may not be so inclined?

Seriously - in the year 2016, isn't it time to put aside puritanical and biblical teachings and just put men, women, bi, straight, homosexual, all in the same space?

Reactions: Dumdiedum

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was showering at the gym this morning when my thoughts drifted about the configuration of the men's shower area and I wondered if the women's was exactly the same or just similar.

And then this thought: why, exactly, do we insist on separating men and women in this way? We are all adults, we all know what the other sex's body parts look like (or will eventually find out anyway), we all have essentially the same bodily functions.

Now, you might say that we need to separate the sexes to keep, for example, the men from hitting on the women. But, if that is the case, how do we deal with gay men sharing lockers and showers with straight men? What about lesbian or bi women sharing with other women who may not be so inclined?

Seriously - in the year 2016, isn't it time to put aside puritanical and biblical teachings and just put men, women, bi, straight, homosexual, all in the same space?

Clearly the folks of North Carolina would not agree with you.

You raise some interesting points - however I do think regardless of anything else you have to respect the modesty that many people have about their bodies - for whatever reason. I don't think health club membership would rise in clubs that had universal showers (men and women). When my current health club was opened it was open showers (men only), then the showers were partitioned, now curtains have been added. The owner told me that most of the clubs members, when surveyed liked it that way.

When I started going to the local Y all swimming was done in the nude, segregated by gender. I can only imagine what would happen if they went back to that. A friend of mine who is a coach and swim instructor at a major college said he gets a chuckle when he sees guys changing clothes under a towel wrapped around their waist and who shower wearing swimwear. College age men. What has the world come to? - LOL.

Reactions: atl4abf

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I get the modesty thing but illogically modest people are that way even among their own sex as you effectively pointed out.

If I can strip of my clothes next to a total stranger in the locker room, does it really matter whether that person is male or female?

Does it really matter if the person in the shower stall next to mine is not of the same sex as I?

Reactions: atl4abf

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Listen, I'm with you on the puritanical bullshit line. In an ideal world we wouldn't need gender segregation, but this world is far from ideal. Maybe women wouldn't have anything to be worried about from guys like you and me, but I know there are lots of revolting knuckle-draggers out there who wouldn't think there was anything wrong with being leering, invasive jerks. So guys like us put up with gender segregation and all its faults so women don't have to suffer the Y chromosome's lowest common denominators. If we really want a world in which we can throw away gender segregation, it's incumbent on guys like us to get the knuckle-draggers to see the light.

That said: Fuck this straight guy bullshit fear about gay men hitting on them. Yeah, that happens (welcome to a little sliver of what straight men regularly put women through). And locker rooms the world over are fucking hives of homophobia. Straight men worry about getting hit on. Many gay men - especially gay kids - worry about getting beat the fuck up.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I get the modesty thing but illogically modest people are that way even among their own sex as you effectively pointed out.

If I can strip of my clothes next to a total stranger in the locker room, does it really matter whether that person is male or female?

Does it really matter if the person in the shower stall next to mine is not of the same sex as I?

It does not matter to you, but the other person's feelings come into play as well. Some people feel that nudity is a zone of privacy that should be restricted under a number of circumstances. Separate accommodations allows everyone to use public facilities. The folks who don't mind and the folks who do somewhat each have their desire met. There are other issues too - say someone with less than honorable intent decides to impose himself on a lady who is unwilling - right now his being in the room would be proof of a crime, in an open situation he has a right to be there and can say, "I thought she wanted it- she was looking at me." I know that is a bit of a stretch 99% of the time but it is a concern.

Consider the jealous spouse. Say a guy goes to a health club with an open locker policy and the wife at home resents he is being exposed to other female bodies not her own? Even if he does nothing he is bringing trouble to himself by merely trying to avoid a heart attack. So taken to a semi-illogical extreme - this policy could kill people (the guy gets pressured to quit the club, then gets hit by a car jogging) - would you want that on your conscience?

You policy idea is basically - since I don't care, no one else should either. That however is not how we work. I don't see a problem with mixed sex restrooms - because there are latching cubicles that offer a really high degree of privacy, but multi-sex showers an locker rooms really are not going to work on a large scale. Maybe in resorts like nudist resorts it is fine - but everyone goes there with a similar mindset about exposing their bodies.

Notaes

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Humanity is crazy enough like it is! I cannot imagine having the same sex come in and shower with men at the same time.

Reactions: xmarksbreakdownx

Uncutpete

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Humanity is crazy enough like it is! I cannot imagine having the same sex come in and shower with men at the same time.

It happens in saunas all over Northern Europe. Totally mixed changing rooms, showers, etc.. Personally, I love it.

Logically, nudity has nothing to do with sex. I feel quite happy being naked, - and not because I think I'm all that, I'm certain I will still feel the same when I'm 70. Many heterosexual men have got some funny ideas though, and many women are made to feel deeply ashamed of their bodies, so I don't think the world is quite ready yet. Or not my part of it at least.

In my local pool there is a mixed changing area with lots of cubicles, so the idea is that a person is supposed to use the cubicles, and there is no need for any nudity or "the towel dance". Toilets and showers attached to the main changing area are segregated. There are constant misunderstandings or misinterpretations that usually cause embarrassment for someone.

Years ago I did know some people who had a shop with interesting group changing rooms, but this idea didn't work out all that well in reality. In order to make the best of it you would have to be making an extra special effort to be cool.

Reactions: ronin001

I have no issues showering with other guys because I don't care what they think about how I look. I'm very self conscious around women, so I wouldn't be comfortable showering naked with strange women.

It has always made me wonder though why some guys get so uptight being naked around other guys in the shower/locker room when the whole reason for gender segregation there is because nudity can be reasonably expected in that situation.

Reactions: xmarksbreakdownx

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have read the threads here on men's attitudes and behaviour in locker rooms - ogling dicks and comparing - and this from straight, gay and all those in between. I've seen threads here requesting secret locker room pics. Nary a similar thread from women.

Share a change room with men? I think not.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One reason I do not use public showers or changing areas is because of some of the thread and replies I have read here over the past few years. To sum things up, I would not want to change in front of the OP, though I presume he is Male, that is my right. I apply the same rights to women not to be on public display for prevs to view and wank off to.

How many threads go something like this:

Do you wank in the shower
Would it bother you if the guy next to you was wanking loudly ?
Where are the best places to see open showers and in what cities ?
Would it bother you if a guy was noticeable erect while showering or changing near you ?
Would it bother you if the guy next to you checked you out at the urinal ?

These few off the top of my head, and you actually want to add women to this mix

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Logically, nudity has nothing to do with sex. I feel quite happy being naked, - and not because I think I'm all that, I'm certain I will still feel the same when I'm 70. Many heterosexual men have got some funny ideas though, and many women are made to feel deeply ashamed of their bodies, so I don't think the world is quite ready yet. Or not my part of it at least.

In my local pool there is a mixed changing area with lots of cubicles, so the idea is that a person is supposed to use the cubicles, and there is no need for any nudity or "the towel dance". Toilets and showers attached to the main changing area are segregated. There are constant misunderstandings or misinterpretations that usually cause embarrassment for someone.

Years ago I did know some people who had a shop with interesting group changing rooms, but this idea didn't work out all that well in reality. In order to make the best of it you would have to be making an extra special effort to be cool.

We Yanks are a little slow in terms of liberties in dealing with sexual freedom of expression, However I would gladly put aside my prudishness and share a changing area with you :D

LilJock

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My uncle was stationed in Japan. He hit a restroom out in the country and was surprised when a bunch of Japanese women came in. He didn't know restrooms were co-ed there. Luckily, he's fairly well-hung so he probably gave them an eyeful. From what I've heard, I'd probably fit right in over there.

In college, you often saw chicks in the men's showers, and men in the women's. It was kind of unnerving at first. I was a big football player (BMOC) but hung like a chipmunk and still extremely self-conscious about the size of my cock, especially with women. Plus, I always had to fight popping a boner on and sometimes lost the battle. But I'll admit it was pretty hot, though it probably dampened my chances of scoring with any of them.

Not the same thing - but in high school, I went with a buddy of mine to his gym. He had the biggest cock in school. After working out, we hit the showers and then the steam room - buck naked. We'd lost track of the time and didn't realize it was now past closing. Just as we we were exiting the steam room, the female manager - a sexy, buxom brunette in her middle-to-late twenties - came in, apparently to close up or something. Anyway, we all just stood there for what seemed like half an hour, then she said, "Oh, excuse me," and hurried out. I suspected she'd just taken the opportunity to catch the two of us naked like that. Only question was was whether it was just Frank and his legendary appendage that she really wanted to see.

I think it would be a great idea to have co-ed showers. For some reason, I'd still prefer the restrooms to be kept segregated. I'm a romantic at heart.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
My uncle was stationed in Japan. He hit a restroom out in the country and was surprised when a bunch of Japanese women came in. He didn't know restrooms were co-ed there. Luckily, he's fairly well-hung so he probably gave them an eyeful. From what I've heard, I'd probably fit right in over there.

In college, you often saw chicks in the men's showers, and men in the women's. It was kind of unnerving at first. I was a big football player (BMOC) but hung like a chipmunk and still extremely self-conscious about the size of my cock, especially with women. Plus, I always had to fight popping a boner on and sometimes lost the battle. But I'll admit it was pretty hot, though it probably dampened my chances of scoring with any of them.

Not the same thing - but in high school, I went with a buddy of mine to his gym. He had the biggest cock in school. After working out, we hit the showers and then the steam room - buck naked. We'd lost track of the time and didn't realize it was now past closing. Just as we we were exiting the steam room, the female manager - a sexy, buxom brunette in her middle-to-late twenties - came in, apparently to close up or something. Anyway, we all just stood there for what seemed like half an hour, then she said, "Oh, excuse me," and hurried out. I suspected she'd just taken the opportunity to catch the two of us naked like that. Only question was was whether it was just Frank and his legendary appendage that she really wanted to see.

I think it would be a great idea to have co-ed showers. For some reason, I'd still prefer the restrooms to be kept segregated. I'm a romantic at heart.
I rest my case.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"I don't mind sharing a dressing room with women. I have something for them to look at." - Some men

"I don't want to look at anything, thank you very much. I do mind sharing a dressing room with men because I have something that they want to look at." - Some women.

Listen, I'm with you on the puritanical bullshit line. In an ideal world we wouldn't need gender segregation, but this world is far from ideal. Maybe women wouldn't have anything to be worried about from guys like you and me, but I know there are lots of revolting knuckle-draggers out there who wouldn't think there was anything wrong with being leering, invasive jerks. So guys like us put up with gender segregation and all its faults so women don't have to suffer the Y chromosome's lowest common denominators. If we really want a world in which we can throw away gender segregation, it's incumbent on guys like us to get the knuckle-draggers to see the light.

That said: Fuck this straight guy bullshit fear about gay men hitting on them. Yeah, that happens (welcome to a little sliver of what straight men regularly put women through). And locker rooms the world over are fucking hives of homophobia. Straight men worry about getting hit on. Many gay men - especially gay kids - worry about getting beat the fuck up.

*Standing Ovation*
Exactly!

Reactions: rtg and ronin001

phallic_deity86

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A bunch of men suggesting that changing rooms should be desegregated by gender. So surprising...

Might as well ice your cake and suggest that gender-based sports should be done away with and switch all to co-ed.
Because you aren't "competing" for anything in the locker room. It's not an accurate analogy.
"I don't mind sharing a dressing room with women. I have something for them to look at." - Some men

"I don't want to look at anything, thank you very much. I do mind sharing a dressing room with men because I have something that they want to look at." - Some women.
Then have 3 locker rooms. M, F, Co-Ed.

Reactions: ronin001