Discussions on STDs

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There have been many thread hijakings of late that include information and misinformation about STDs. STDs are an important fact of life, and knowledge about them is very important in slowing their spread.

This thread is intended as an informal, yet informative place to voice concerns and seek information about STDs. If someone attempts to hijak a thread that is not directly related to STDs please direct him/her here.

Definition:

An STD is any infectious matter that is primarily transmitted through sexual contact.

Examples: HIV, Syphilis, Herpes, Gonorrhea, Pubic Lice (Crabs).

Transmission: To be defined as an STD a contagion must be primarily spread through sexual contact. Vaginal and Anal penetration with a penis are the most common transmission acts. Oral contact with a Penis, Vagina, or Anus is the next riskiest set of behaviours, although significantly less risky than Vaginal or Anal penetration. Although uncommon, STDs can be transmitted through mutual masturbation and even cuddling.

Most STDs also have secondary modes of transmission. Many STDs are blood-born pathogens, and can therefor be transmitted through blood to blood contact (such as through needle sharing). Pubic Lice may be transmitted by sharing clothing, or even sitting on a couch recently vacated by an infected individual.

Risk Reduction: Reducing the risk of STD contraction is very important. Various methods are employed for reducing risk of various diseases. There is no 100% effective way to avoid STD contraction, including abstinence. The most common method of reducing risk is through the use of a condom. While condom use is very effective at reducing risk of many infections, it does not protect against common ailments such as Herpes, HPV, or Pubic Lice. Abstinence, another common method, does not protect against Pubic Lice or HPV (it is also possible, although not probable, to transmit Herpes through non-sexual means).

Infection by many STDs increases the risk for infection by other STDs.

It is important to note that infection by an STD does not predict a person's inclusion in any social or cultural group. Conversely, inclusion in a cultural or social group does not predict a person's infection with an STD. Homosexual and Heterosexual sex acts are equally risky behaviours.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
Very good post jbt - a much more a neutral and mature way to handle the subject. I'd venture to say it deserves stickie status.

For those in/around Chicagoland, I heartily recommend from personal experience http://www.howardbrown.org/

These folks have taught me more about personal health (let alone GLBT issues) than any previous heath organization I was forced into using due to insurance reasons. Needless to say, the concern over my well-being improved as well. Screw public health care AND insurance - I pay for everything OOP now.

Personal responsibility is also sadly understated when STDs are discussed. It's hard to think that, because you haven't been tested, your partner has and everything's gonna be OK. It's also hard to turn down that partner cuz yer super horny and you need to get off and they don't have their doctor's records handy... for those of you without access to healthcare: there is a way to get tested in your area. Find it.

Some advice that HB hasn't been able to provide too well yet... how to broach the subject with a potential partner ('specially when it might put a damper on the proceedings). Maybe that can help to keep the thread up top... I have some funny stories to relate on that subject :biggrin1:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
<...>Personal responsibility is also sadly understated when STDs are discussed. <...>
Some advice that HB hasn't been able to provide too well yet... how to broach the subject with a potential partner ('specially when it might put a damper on the proceedings). Maybe that can help to keep the thread up top... I have some funny stories to relate on that subject :biggrin1:
I'm glad you found a good resource, dannyhorse. Personal responsibility is the mantra that I have chanted for several years on this forum, but oddly enough, I usually get flamed for mentioning it.

As for the subject of "broaching the subject" with a potential partner - the personal responsibility method is to assume that any potential partner is infected, and proceed accordingly. I used to go with the blunt approach, mood killer or not. If someone actually got offended, I took that to mean that they were not the "personal responsibility type," nor the honest type, and I went elsewhere. It took me a while to figure out that asking about disease status was not really that relevant, because I was not going to have sex without a condom, anyway. So, again, I just assume that every other person on the planet is positive for whatever disease, and play as safely as possible. "Too horny" or "too drunk" to use a condom translates to "too stupid to continue to live."

Joyboytoy, thanks for your original post. Your information is excellent, and never out of style.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
I used to go with the blunt approach, mood killer or not. If someone actually got offended, I took that to mean that they were not the "personal responsibility type," nor the honest type, and I went elsewhere. It took me a while to figure out that asking about disease status was not really that relevant, because I was not going to have sex without a condom, anyway. So, again, I just assume that every other person on the planet is positive for whatever disease, and play as safely as possible. "Too horny" or "too drunk" to use a condom translates to "too stupid to continue to live."
At the the risk of getting verbose, I think I identify with the blunt approach and can expand on this. Imagine a typical "down low" scene (the type andywhateverdigits was harping on), and both parties are ready to, uh... get it on :biggrin1:

Me: "So... when's the last you hooked up?"

Them: "I dunno... [involuntary, reactive offer of a window varying from last night to 3 months ago]..."

Me: "So when's the last time you were tested?"

Them: "For what?"

[Strike one.]

Me: "You know..."

Them: "[mild protestation that I might insinuate they have something]"

[Strike two!]

"Me: "[something that might still allow me to exit the scene with some dignity, but still pry for some kind of answer]"

Them: "Just [let me suck your dick/suck my dick/fuck my ass/etc...]"

[Freeze frame] That's where I used to cave. It took me a long time too DC, to come around to the realization that by acting irresponsibly, I was only part of the problem. I hold somewhere in my head that a few other guys/gals have come around as well, and realize that the more we know about ourselves and each other, the more we can get on without worrying about the aftereffects. Mood killer or not. I'm gonna be moody anyway...

The biggest realization came to me shortly after getting tested regularly, which, sadly, wasn't up until about 5 years ago. Although HIV certainly carried its weight along with syphilis, etc., the realization was HPV, or human papillomavirus - something that needs to be added to this thread.

I've found that HPV is pooh pooh'ed by potential partners as much as the clap/drip/whatever was since the advent of penicillin - "Aw, it's not that big of a deal - nothing that can't be treated". Duh... having any STD automatically increases the chance of being infected by another STD. And that HPV infection that hasn't shown itself in you might turn into a big problem for someone else. Bi guys - don't give yer girls cervical cancer.

Disclaimer: I am not speaking from direct experience here :biggrin1: In fact, it took a case of hirsuties papillaris genitalis on a partner to send me running to the clinic the next day, only to discover this is benign and not HPV (as outlined in the wikipedia link below).

Human papillomavirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As well as further reading:

HPV - STD information from CDC

Wow! Look at me bang out the longass post! :biggrin1: