Disillusionment: The Life and Times of an Invisible Mod

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by joyboytoy79, Jul 30, 2007.

1. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    A few of you may remember me. I was the annoying, yet somehow enjoyable, sex-fiend with a highly prolific (some may even say prodigious) post count, right out of the gate, when i joined, just under a year ago. I was energetic and spunky. Funny (i think) and even sometimes insightful.

So, what happened?

Many, if not most, of you don't even know who i am. You can see by the word under my avatar that I am a "Moderator," but you don't recall seeing any contribution from me. Some of you who do remember me probably wonder where i went. A greater few of you probably don't give a rat's shitworm.

Well, there are many factors at play here. I was living for a time with one of my best friends (Snoozan), and we had a falling out. There's no need for details on that. She and I are both adults and we both claim and accept our fair shares of responsibility for our falling out. However, at the time, it was dire, and i decided, for better or worse to move out. I was homeless for a time. And then i was couch-crashing for a time. And then i was sleeping on a day-bed in an office for a time. Finally I found a stable home and settled in. Snooz and i have since mended our fences.

Now, at the same time i was floating in semi-homelessland i was attending school and working odd hours. School is great. I love school. The odd-houred job wasn't so great. Naturally, i wasn't busy enough so I started a serious relationship as well. And then switched jobs abruptly.

So, here i am... estranged from one of my best friends, crashing in the office of a near-stranger, working, schooling, romancing... and LPSG suffered the consequences. I simply didn't have time to be here. Those of you who were close to me at all understood. And life went on.

And life settled down. I tried a few times to get back into the LPSG groove. Yet, each time i tried to come back i found myself disappointed by one or more members whom i'd once had great respect for. It just keeps happening. There are members here who i once admired, almost to the point of adoration; and now, all i'm left with is sour resentment.

I'm not going to name any names, and please don't ask me to. This isn't kindergarten, and i don't need a wall of friends behind me to support my opinion. I'm simply explaining why i haven't been here very much.

But while i'm here, i may as well use my pulpit to speak out against a grievous trend i've noticed from my distant perch: Mod-Bashing. Yes, yes, i see you all there looking at the blue letters under my name. I hear your thoughts: "he IS a mod, of course he would stick up for them... he's ONE of THEM!" While your argument would seem solid, it isn't the case. I AM a mod, but i am also a member. I have contributed much to this forum. I have a lot invested in it. I am a Member before I am a mod. I can't speak for the other mods, but i'm sure most of them feel the same way.

The reason I think Mod-Bashing is so dangerous is because people make a lot of huge assumptions when they do it. They assume, for instance, that they have a right to why the mods did "x" and who voted for it. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. I was not elected to my position as a mod. I do not have a constituency. I do not represent y-number of members. I represent myself. I look at each situation i am presented with and decide, FOR MY SELF, weather i think an action is warranted. I do not answer to any of you, and i don't think it's fair that any of you would ask me to. I don't think it's fair that you ask ANY of the mods, co-administrators, or even owner to answer to you. We're all adults here, and the only people we have to answer to are ourselves. The moderators simply ensure that nobody abuses the freedoms bestowed upon them. We make sure the rules are followed. We try to maintain peace. I think it's fair to say that we are a varied group of people, and that our only common agenda is to keep LPSG great. So why is it that some of our members insist on mistrusting us? Why do they ask us to be held accountable to the masses... when they don't expect themselves to be held accountable to anyone but themselves?

I'm not going anywhere. And with any luck I will find the time and energy to make my presence known to all, like it once was. All I ask in return is that you, the masses, treat me like you do everyone else around here. Don't revere me, because you fear my wrath. I'm not vengeful (usually). Don't hate me because i wield a power you do not. I'm not any more powerful than you are. I'm a member, just like you are, only i have a few more headaches.

2. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    ZOMG! You *do*exsist!

I, too, hope that you'll chose to continue to make your presence known on these boards.

Hopefully this thread won't turn into another "Damn you, tell me what I want to know!" threads, it's the last thing we need.

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I'm afraid being questioned is part of the territory when you're a mod, on any and all sites mods get a certain amount of flack. What are mods for? They're to ensure the site runs smoothly for the enjoyment of the members. I do agree that there has been a lot of mod bashing lately and I don't agree with this, on the whole the mods on this site do a far better job than the mods on most sites, but any site or business can only progress by constantly looking at the way it works, it has to evolve in keeping with what people want.

Sorry to hear about your personal problems but it sounds like you're getting them under control.

4. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    SP: Thank you! I do however have a question for you (and anyone else who's brought this up before): What exactly is the progress you are expecting this site to have? I mean really... we're a discussion forum... we're expecting that to progress into what exactly?

5. danerain

Gold Member

Albums:
    For fakers to be busted and trolls to be outed.

6. viking1

Gold Member

I just wish it would progress back to being the sane and supportive forum that it was when I joind last Dec. All this bickering, trolling, and turning every thread into a flame war is getting old. This has driven away some of those whom I think were valuble members. It has degraded my experience here. I am not sure what can be done, but things have changed.

7. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I'm sorry to hear of your string of events JBT. I try not to mod bash, I was a mod a few times for smaller scale sites, with topics that don't get as sticky as the ones here seem to.

May you return to your posting greatness and happiness find you.

8. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    What a complete load of crap.

Climb down from your ivory tower, Tennyson, and recognize that the only reason this or any other community thrives is because of the collective value of its members. Your power derives from them, not the other way around. The staff and the moderators serve the interest of the community, because if they don't, then the community stagnates, fractures, and eventually declines past a point of no return. It doesn't matter that you weren't elected, and it doesn't matter that this is private establishment. Without the constituency, you have nothing. That reason alone should be enough to make you understand why you're accountable to the masses.

As for you being mistrusted...well, all I can say is that if your friends started vanishing in the dead of night with no warnings posted and no explanations given, you probably wouldn't be all that trusting of those with police power either.

If you don't want to find yourself with moderator power over a barren wasteland, you had best collectively figure out what most of us already know. This site's success was built on the collective contributions of a relatively small but vocal percentage of its members, through their posts and pictures. If maintaining peace is truly your aim, then stop treating the members like idiot children and insulting our intelligence with this veil of secrecy crap. The patience of some has been pushed too far already, and more are on the bubble.
    Disregard them at your own peril.

9. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I would expect part of it's progress to be getting bigger, attracting more people and making more money for it's owner, (in that process more members should mean a wider variety of people to talk to and exchange opinions with and more naked photos :) it is after all primarily a business, it can only do that by giving people what they want JBT. I question mods, I question everything, but I hope I never take it to the spiteful level some people do.
    I'm not putting my tuppence worth into this from a position of ignorance, I was a mod myself for a number of years not on a site like this but on two chat rooms which averaged 200 people each and I know the kind of crap mods get, but the way I looked at it mods were there to help the conversation along and to attract people.
    Viking, although I'm also new to this site I'm not new to sites of this nature and they all go through phases where there's a lot of shit, and they all settle down - then just when it's settled down something else will start something off again, try to enjoy it for what it is, a healthy (but sometimes fractious) discussion between a group of adults who might not always act like adults because they feel they have the freedom to let rip.

Now let's not let this turn into another mod bashing thread, I think JBT posted this as a little personal letting off steam.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

11. Principessa

Gold Member

12. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:

constituent |kənˈsti ch oōənt| adjective 1 being a part of a whole : the constituent minerals of the rock. 2 being a voting member of a community or organization and having the power to appoint or elect : the constituent body has a right of veto. • able to make or change a political constitution : a constituent assembly. noun 1 a member of a constituency. 2 a component part of something : the essential constituents of the human diet.

So, who are my constituents? Which section of the LPSG community do i represent? Please explain this to me, as i am too stupid to make sense of it, and you are a god.

I think the TOS is a posted warning... but again, i'm not a god. I don't have the difinitive answers. Nor do i want them. Thank you. As for an explanation, i offer the first: flagrant disregard for the TOS. It's the only reason anyone is banned. Simple concept, isn't it?

THERE IS NO VEIL OF SECRECY! The terms of service is posted as a sticky at the top of EVERY single one of our forums. It's pretty explicit. All of you answers lie in that document. We don't make it secret at all.

Really, if i was power-tripping, and it really was as easy as banning people because i didn't like them, you'd have been gone a LONG time ago. Think about that some.

13. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

You know, HazelGod, I still haven't figured out why I'd like to read your obituary.
    But I'm working on it.

14. B_josiah852

B_josiah852 New Member

Hey welcome back. We missed you and your posts. As for mod bashing. Most of us are not here for that. I don't want bashed for my posts and I won't bash the mod's because their job isn't as easy as most would think. Esp if they are having personal problems. Happens. Been there done that. So welcome back.

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm just going to ignore the ad hominem, but I love how the first response tends to devolve immediately into pedantry. If you must refer to a dictionary to discourse with people, at least have the courtesy to reference the correct term. In this case, the word I used was constituency, not constituent. Since the many meanings seem to confuse you, I've put the appropriate definition in bold. You're welcome.

Main Entry: con·stit·u·en·cy
    Pronunciation: k&n-'stich-w&n(t)-sE, -'sti-ch&-, -'sti-chü-&n(t)-
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural -cies
    1 a : a body of citizens entitled to elect a representative (as to a legislative or executive position) b : the residents in an electoral district c : an electoral district
    2 a : a group or body that patronizes, supports, or offers representation <creating...a grass-roots constituency for continuing the project -- Fred Reed> b : the people involved in or served by an organization (as a business or institution) <regards its corporate customers as its prime constituency -- Andrew Hacker>

The usage wasn't intended to connote delegated representation, a la some parliamentary system of government...it was used in reference to the contributing users of the site, without whom you would serve no purpose at all. It's a simple concept...I don't know how to explain it any more succinctly than this.

No, the ToS establishes the rules of the community and the possible repercussions of failure to adhere to them. It sounds so simple, yes, but you're ignoring the complexities that have already arisen. First, no actual assertion that the ToS has been violated in any specific manner, much less flagrantly, has been provided from those responsible for banning members. Furthermore, the ToS has been modified ex post facto in recent instances. Are you seeing the conundrum here? How can the members be expected to follow rules, when people are being banned for infractions that only appear in the ToS after their banning? Simple, indeed.:rolleyes:

No, they don't, as I just pointed out. I'm also astonished at the incredible cluelessness in your denial. Nobody is talking about the ToS itself...we're concerned over how it's enforced. I know it might be a bit tiresome to read, but the entire reason the thread on Big Dirigible's banning has gone on so long is because nobody on the moderation staff will provide a straight answer to the OP. There's nothing but stonewalling, pedantry, and condescension surrounding this action. A clearer example of a veil of secrecy does not exist.

Truly sad. Your thinly veiled threat doesn't intimidate me at all...it serves only to demonstrate how insecure you really are.

16. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Let's take a breath shall we :) There are far too many similar threads going on, it's getting to be on a parr with the rate my cock stuff.

17. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    That wasn't a threat. It was a fact. I don't like you, and yet you are here. I refuse to vote for a ban simply because i dislike the member in question. You may distort that if you wish. If we ever discuss banning you , you can bet i will be there defending you, if indeed you haven't broken any rules. Of course, my lack of nervous system may make it hard to type, but i'll do my best.

18. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

It's interesting that every attempt by a moderator to explain the events of the past few days has left the mod making the attempt in a deeper hole with his (I say his because I haven't seen many of attempts from the female mods) intended audience. Bar none.

So why bother? What I have taken away from the Hickboy, JBT, and Mindseye threads is this:

1. Mods aren't accountable to anyone but Rob_E, and he generally gives them free rein.
    2. We can't know why the mods ban people because the reasons are secret, and it's a secret why they are secret.
    3. What the membership-at-large wants doesn't matter, because we don't know what's good for us, because we don't know the secrets that we can't be told. But if we did know the secrets, we'd understand. Too bad they're secret (See point #2 above). So the members should just shut up and let the mods do what they know is good for us.

In light of those three takeaways, I'm not sure why the mods are bothering to defend their actions at all.

I stand by my Martin Luther comment. The parallels are just eerie, and amusing, too.

19. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hence my Tennyson reference.

20. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Hmmm I hear cats singing.

Draft saved Draft deleted