Dissent is not allowed

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by ponybilt@Jul 26 2004, 05:58 PM
The point Mark made is still valid: Good ol' boy, conservative attitudes covered in Neanderthal sludge proliferate, while beliefs to the contrary are considered terroristic threats.
Well, that's totally inaccurate. Neanderthals never had depleted uranium. LOL

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Jul 24 2004, 10:43 PM

I couldn't be left out on this one!

I'm not into Linda Ronstadt's music too much anymore, but I would assume anyone going to her shows knows she's a hippy chic from the 70's, so no big surprise there, eh?
Madame -- you make an incredibly insightful point here.... I'm only guessing, but I'd suggest that at least *some* of the poeople in her audiences are those who were fans from the 70s. Those people, however have grown up, and with that frequently comes conservatism. The term for them is BoBo -- short for Bougiouse Bohemians. These are the people who were activists, liberals, etc in their twenties during the 1970s and now that they have money, they're much more conservative - niether good nor bad, it's just what happens many times.

Thus, The audience, while longing for something from their youth, didn't realize that not all people change.

ponybilt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Originally posted by Simon9@Jul 26 2004, 05:05 PM
Ever since Linda Ronstadt praised Castro a few ago as one of the greatest things that ever happened to Cuba (and other inane statements like that) she permanently lost me. It hardly surprises me that someone who thinks highly of a repressive dictator like Fidel would also like a propagandist like Moore.

I agree with those folks who believe it is totally inappropriate for a performer, during a musical performance, to inflict their personal politics on their audience unless it's within the context of their art. The audience is paying for the musician's time and has ever right to protest when abused in this way. :angry:
Simon, read "Trading with the Enemy," and you'll better understand what's really going on in Cuba, rather than the the pandering that Bush is slinging to the public in order to get the Cuban American vote.

And Moore is no more or less a 'propagandist' than Bush, Rice, Rumsfeld, et al. They **ALL** put their own spin on things, so for you to use 'propagandist' like it's a liberal phenomenon is inaccurate and misleading.