DIY Haircut

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So I'm going to buzz it all off myself later today. I plan to keep the trimmer on say #2 and just work from front to back. I've never been pretty much bald before and have no clue as to how I'll look. Nor have I ever attempted anything like this at home. My hair length in my avatar is about as short as I've ever gone. Thing is though, I'm sick and tired of having to go out every six weeks and get a trim (all my barbers do a pretty shitty job). So I figure I'll save myself the hassle and the thirty bucks.

My question is - can I fuck this up at all? I'm thinking not as I'm going so short that it is essentially like shaving my head. Anyone else do this regularly (or at all)? Any pointers?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not being a guy I have no idea if it's possible to mess this up. :confused:

So why go for a trim every 6 weeks? Why not just grow it out? I can understand getting tired of the maintenance and product use. Keep in mind, not everybody looks as cool or sexy as Michael Jordan with a shaved or almost shaved head.

FWIW: Some women like running their fingers through a mans hair.

~quicksilver~

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I used to shave my own head. Yep, No. 2 setting is probably best. Saved a fortune for the year and a half that I did it. U can't really fuck it up. The one thing u can do though is miss out bits... Then you are left with little tufts that you can't really see in the back of your head!! Check yourself out by holding a hand held behind you in a mirror after or get a friend to look you over. Its best to just go over more times than you think you need to just to make sure you got everything. Hope that helps!

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Is there any chance we can dissuade you from doing that? I'm soooooooo tired of buzz haircuts. It removes differentiation; buzz cuts look mostly the same.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Go for it! Number 2 is perfect. As for those who dislike buzz cuts, tough patooties. There's nothing like trying to maintain well-groomed hair in 100+ humidity and 104 F heat! Yeah, that's an attractive look. As long as you have a great shaped head (Most men do. Nixon did not.)
A buzz cut evokes a hot, sexy athletic look.

Just remember to invest in a hand mirror with a side that magnifies everything. That way it'll be easier to spot the occasional mini-mohawk stripe that can happen. There's no magic trick to buzzing your own hair. However, for a clean straight cut edge along the back of your neck, have a friend simply trim it straight.

You'll save a ton of money. And for those of us of a certain age and XY chromosome mix, it's a lot more attractive than maintaining a ludicrous comb over or ridiculous hair plug transplants. Next time you see a real good photo of Antonio Banderas that hasn't been Photoshopped by his publicist, tell me if you think his micro hair transplants look as good as if he'd just given into nature and let his hairline recede the way it was meant to. (He had it done here in Buenos Aires.)

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for the input. It's okay if I don't look cool or sexy, I'm kinda used to that. It's more of a convenience thing, and I think that it might suit me reasonably well regardless.

Alright, I'm off to auction my comb on ebay. :biggrin1:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Slant and Midlifebear,
Since you have both already made up your minds I guess I will have to resign myself to holding on to your ears whilst moaning in passion. :flirt: :tongue: :wink:

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Slant and Midlifebear,
Since you have both already made up your minds I guess I will have to resign myself to holding on to your ears whilst moaning in passion. :flirt: :tongue: :wink:

Oh you little vixen you. If it looks good I will post a pic and if it doesn't I will not leave my apartment for a month, after which you should have some hair to hold onto (it grows like wildfire anyway). So no big deal. :tongue:

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I suspect you will look hot as hell, Slant. Not that that's difficult. :tongue:

I did the DIY head shave thing for a year while I was working on a series of films. I agree with the above posts, #2 is the way to go and its impossible to fuck it up. I looked pretty bad ass, which is not the norm for me. So I was psyched.

I doubt you'll be disappointed unless you discover you have a bizarre divot in your head or something. I was nervous as hell when it came off (my usual length is more shaggy-British-indie-rocker) not knowing if I was going to look ok. Wound up loving it within 5 minutes.

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
behind the ears is a bitch...
i shave mine with a razor,
i bet you will look great with a buzzcut.
cheaper and managable too.

~quicksilver~

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Just a tad shorter then... :biggrin1:

Actually, I did the same thing the first time I shaved my head. As it grows out you will see which length you like more/suits you the best.

mjcp

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hot! I've been a proud Shaved-Head American for over four years now. From the moment I first saw myself in the mirror, I knew I'd never go back. Neither should you! Welcome to the club, brother!