DMW gone?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mighty Joe, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe New Member

I've been down for awhile due to computer problems but back now. Did I see something about the LATE Double Meat Whopper? Did he die?

2. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

3. GoneA

Gold Member

yeah, but he's gonna rise on easter

4. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Up from the grave he arose...

Mighty Joe, please don't resurrect this topic, it died an agonizing death and a lot of feelings were hurt and the emotions ran high, kinda like in the racism thread. The long and short of it was that the person we knew as DMW never existed.

5. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe New Member

6. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Bluntly there, Joe, DMW was a fake, and exposed. Kinda hard to miss something like that what with all that deception. I mean, his "brother" told us he died, and then later on he came clean about the whole thing.

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

8. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:

9. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

10. Freddie53

Gold Member

I am assuming you really don't know the story.

Here it is. The guy we know as DMW was a member here several years. For whatever reason he got tired of his character. He then joined as his brother and then came on here and told us that DMW had died from complications from a surgery.

Then the truth came out that the man that wrote as DMW was not dead, but alive. That man then admitted it to the board.

The members here were extremely upset. Not so much that this man was not who he said he was as much of the character we know as DMW was fictional that is the things he wrote about such as job, age, activies were fictional. The truths he wrote about were not. His level of education was as he said it was. His beliefs were as he said they were.

The real reason that he is banned from here is that he did the highest from of trolling. He hijacked this entire board in grief in mourning for a person who was not dead, but indeed alive. This is the reason that people were so upset.

Had this person come forward and said, "For personal reasons, I am going to leave LPSG for a while, maybe for good. I have enjoyed knowing all of you. Thanks for the memories." or People, I have a confession, all the things I posted concerning ideas, religion, politics and thte like are mine, but the character DMW is fictional. I am not presently teaching school. I fudged my age." then I think the members would have been more understanding.

This person and I were very close on this forum. And he sent me a personal e-mail about it all later. I shared some of that here, not all. This person sent this to me in hopes I would share it with the board.

The discussion and information about thsi is in ETC. The tread is several months old. You can scroll back and find the information. It all has DMW somewhere in the title.

Now to the philosophical questions that have started on this thread, I can see we are in the deep end of the pool. These conversations are from people who are now far enough away from the scandal to look more deeply into life, who is real and what is fictional. And how these two things are sometimes blurred.

Prep suggested that you drop this. He knows the hurt that came around the first time. Time will tell if members will be angry that it has been brought back up again.

SPEAKING AS A MODERATOR:

No moderator brought this up. It was by a member. I did not believe it was my job to step in here and close this thread or delete it from your discussion without your asking me to do so.

Last time around, the thread concerning this was closed as the subject became too heated and the overwhelming viewpoint was to close it.

It wasn't anyone here on this board's fault that DMW did what he did. No one here helped him do it. But all of us were covered by the shitstorm that ensued from DMW staging his own death.

I am hoping that none of us will get into a personal debate over this. By that I mean personal attacks and things like that. No one here is guilty of helping the man that we all knew as DMW stage his own death. So why should we get into a verbal fistfight over it now?

11. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks for the explanation. I think some here assume that everyone understood the story. If a person doesn't check in but once in a while, or only reads a particular area of the forum, they would not know the story. I asked once and got my head bit off. I understood the intial shock and frustration... but that people still are upset about this is not something I can relate to...let alone that there would be a need to literally cuss someone out for asking. The most interesting thing about this tale was that it revealed other's issues. I never really see anything as so charged that it has to be closed down. I think that only lifts it to another level. Thanks again for the clarity. I'm sure this cleared it up for others too.:smile:

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

Cube,

I'm sorry about that. Some of us who do spend a lot of time here get very close with each other and become frinds in real life. That was the case with Danny and I, even though I called him Jacinto at the time.

I was still very sore when you sent the PM, having had to explain it already several times, and I just couldn't do it anymore. When I asked you to read the thread, I meant just that- that I didn't want to have to encapsulate in one more time. I already spent too much time here, and people just don't understand sometimes that their "just one letter" might be one of five such requests for me, that day. I am sorry if I cussed at you though, I was in a foul place at the time.

13. madame_zora

Gold Member

To others:

Danny is indeed a person. He is a friend of mine still despite a rather dismal choice he made on how to exit. I know some people think it's an unforgivable sin, but to me, those do not exist.

The person who wrote the volumes of beautifully crafted posts we all came to know was in fact a flesh and blood person sitting behind a keyboard. I always say when you know WHY a person does what they do, you're in a better position to judge it's nature. He was in a black place and made a horrible decision, that not hard to understand.

Most of us feel we would never do that ourselves, and perhaps we would not. Still, what IS our transgression? We all do things of which we are not proud, and I assure you Danny feels like a tool over all of this. He DID write a letter of explaination, but at the time, it was too soon for people who WERE hurting to deal with it, I don't know about the climate now.

It is my dearest hope that will will not take this opportunity to open old wounds, but rather to begin to heal.

14. Freddie53

Gold Member

Madame_Zora
    "To others:

Danny is indeed a person. He is a friend of mine still despite a rather dismal choice he made on how to exit. I know some people think it's an unforgivable sin, but to me, those do not exist.

The person who wrote the volumes of beautifully crafted posts we all came to know was in fact a flesh and blood person sitting behind a keyboard. I always say when you know WHY a person does what they do, you're in a better position to judge it's nature. He was in a black place and made a horrible decision, that not hard to understand.

It is my dearest hope that will will not take this opportunity to open old wounds, but rather to begin to heal."

Reply:
    Danny is also a friend of mine. For those who want more information. This what happened. Several years ago when LPSG first started, Danny wanted to relive his life via the internet. So he cast himself as a much younger person that he really is.

But some of his answers to life's questions are second to none. The person behind the computer was a very gifted writer and extremely intelligent and very highly educated. I would say he has one of the most brilliant minds I have encountered.

His transgression was that he faked his death totally disrupting hte board for weeks. That is trolling. It is a reason to be banned.

As a mod, I will defer to the entire board on whehter to forgive. Maybe when the time is right through a poll. Whether to forgive or not to forgive is an action I would prefer the whole community here at LPSG to be in harmony with.

I echo Zora's voice here. We need healing, not division. Forgiveness, not hate.

As we forgive, we are forgiven. Let's not forget this basic truth of life.

15. jakeatolla

Gold Member

Albums:

But what is worth forgiving? I mean, when is a transgression worthy of
    forgiveness, and another not ? If anyone else on this board had faked
    his or her own death (and not been thought of so highly) would there
    be a movement afoot to forgive and forget ?

Time heals all wounds, but some truely never do heal.

16. dufus

dufus New Member

Danny was living in a fantasy world that probably grew bigger than he ever expected. I think he should be allowed back on the board if he wants back.

17. Freddie53

Gold Member

You have a very good point. Which is why I would want a consensus from the members to invite Danny back before I would vote to do it.

Your words in bold have to be considered. We definitely have to give people plenty of time to let the hurt and anger go.

We definitely have to consider the present membership and what they won't.

I want to compliment you on bringing up a valid point without hurling insults and flaming. I hope others will follow your example. Thanks.

18. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well that all fills in the big gaps...even though I have another question...but I won't push it :) Funny thing is, I never assume anyone left. I just figured that the person goes by another name and watches the aftermath as a new member. It doesn't really bother me, I just don't get the need. I just would caution a few members, that while I consider you far smarter than me, don't allow you charity and kindness to expose yourself to even a deeper con. It has been my experience, working with the public, that for what ever the reason a person needs to manipulate others...it is unusual that it is isolated. Regards folks.

19. SSBBW4BigFun

SSBBW4BigFun New Member

Albums:

Amen

20. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Same for me. Thanks to those who clarified. Someone made some comment in chat, a week or so about DMW, and I asked who it was, and got told not to ask, and to not stir up all "the hurt". Being relatively new here, I had no idea what that meant, and what I'd just done. So, my "another question" is, and again, like CUBE, I'm not pushing either, but I'm curious why someone's false life would tear up the membership? What I mean is, if the guy lied to the whole board, why aren't all of the mixed feelings of anger, betrayal, sympathy, or understanding focused on HIM, and not on each other?

I get the sense that this was something major here, so thanks again for those that cleared up the mystery for the rest of us.

Draft saved Draft deleted