Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Have any of you taken the 23&Me or Ancestry.com DNA tests? I just did one and was very shocked at the results. I had always been told I was 3/4 Italian and 1/4 French/German and Irish. Tuns out I'm more Spanish/Portuguese than Italian, have Italian, Sardinian, Sicilian, and Greek, plus a healthy dose of Irish/British, Eastern European, AND the shocker--Asian. Apparently, I had a 5th-6th great grandparent who was 100% Yakut.

Anyone else find out that what they thought they were was not completely true?

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
This test that I did was from 23 & Me, now I've done the Ancestry.com one, just to compare. I think I can trace the Eastern European lineage through my family in Trieste, Italy--being so close to what is now Austria and Hungary, it is likely that my Eastern European side is there and also how the Ashkenazi is. I know that my family was subject to forced conversion to Roman Catholicism, but didn't know that we had Asheknaz blood, I thought it was all Italki. The things we learn...

Reactions: malakos

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This test that I did was from 23 & Me, now I've done the Ancestry.com one, just to compare. I think I can trace the Eastern European lineage through my family in Trieste, Italy--being so close to what is now Austria and Hungary, it is likely that my Eastern European side is there and also how the Ashkenazi is. I know that my family was subject to forced conversion to Roman Catholicism, but didn't know that we had Asheknaz blood, I thought it was all Italki. The things we learn...
Knowing you have Ashkenazi blood can be important. For some reason, they are susceptible to a host of genetic diseases.
Ashkenazi Jewish Genetic Diseases
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/ashkenazi-jewish-genetic-diseases

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
well
mine said i have a big cock and thats absolutely false news
but i am hoping it will grow and prove them correct
better damn hurry up tho bc at my age i am due to crap out any moment

save Rob some bandwidth anyway?

hope that helps!

Anyone else find out that what they thought they were was not completely true?

Reactions: 185248

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I did that with Ancestry.com.

The results were:

EUROPE
Great Britain
Europe West
Scandinavia
Iberia Peninsula
Italy/Greece

NORTH AMERICA
Native American

I never told my Mum there was traces of Scottish and Irish! She would flip! The Italy/Greece thing got her in an uproar, too! But she figured that that and the Spanish were from Dad. Definitely the Native American was.

Reactions: notN2pussy

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Why would she have flipped over the Scottish and Irish?

When I called my mother she was shocked at some of the results I got, but as we talked, we started to make some guesses about some of the family history. Now that the oldest generation has all died, the living are forced to make heads and tails out of family tales, which is how I confirmed the Italian Jewish stuff years ago, however knowing where the family traces their origin made sense with some of the Eastern European. We're thinking that my Spanish is probably on my father's side, since my grandmother once told me that the family was originally from Sicily and moved northward--which would also explain the Sardinian. We'll see when she gets her test back!

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes I've done both Ancestry and Nat Geo. Both gave similar results within the margins of uncertainty of the tests. Roughly half Eastern European (I knew a grandparent was Czech) and half Scandinavian (I knew other ancestors were Swede or Norse). Sprinkle some NW Russia, Irish, and NW Mediterranean. Also I'm slightly more Neanderthal than average.

23 and Me doesn't appear to offer any more specific ethnicity groupings than Ancestry or Nat Geo, but does provide other possible disease profiles to scare the crap out of you.

Even though the ethnicity wasn't a surprise, the Ancestry test wasn't a waste; I was able to definitively confirm the identity of my birth parents (I am an adoptee).

Reactions: prepstudinsc