Do any of you have, or have you had ...

Discussion in 'Ask a Woman' started by Penis Aficionado, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

... an IUD?

I promise I'm not asking 'cause I"m a perv. A woman I love has been advised by her doctor to get one (for medical more than birth-control reasons). She suggested I do a little research and it sounds rather awful.

The doctor might push it through your uterus by mistake, injuring you? It might just up and decide, a month or a year from now, to wander out of your uterus and take up residence elsewhere inside you? Your cramps may actually get worse for a while after you get it inserted?

If you have any experiences or advice, pro or con, I would appreciate it if you would share. Thanks y'all.

AlteredEgo likes this.
  2. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I had a Mirena. My partner at the time could feel the "strings" no matter what we did, which was uncomfortable and sometimes painful for him. It was fine on my end for a couple of years, but then I started having severe abdominal pain. It had migrated, puncturing and passing through the uterine wall and was hanging out inside the abdominal cavity.

Doctors didn't realize how badly it had gone wrong at first and just tried to remove it the normal way, by yanking on it. Having your internal organs pulled on fucking sucks, as an understatement. I had to have it removed via surgery. I will never get another IUD or even try the Implanon. I don't want some other crap in my body that could migrate.

I tell anyone that asks me about them to strongly consider the pros and cons and other options before getting an IUD. Also, getting it put in almost made me pass out from the pain. To put that in perspective a little, I get needles shoved through my skin for fun, among other masochistic kinky things.

Some women have worse cramps and/or heavier periods. While relatively minor, a friend of mine is having crazy skin issues since she got an IUD.

3. Tight_N_Juicy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've never tried one myself. I've tried a few different kinds of b.c for medical reasons, none of them ever really helped me so I've stopped using them. The IUD never appealed to me, so I never bothered.

4. rtg

rtg
    Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    No I haven't and I don't think I'd try it either.

Penis Aficionado likes this.
  5. lurker23

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thank you, PA, for caring enough to ask a group of people who will give you honest feedback. Hope you get the information needed. I think this woman should count herself lucky to have you in her life.

6. Penis Aficionado

Gold Member

@Fade: That sounds like a horrible experience; I'm sorry you went through all that. Mirena ... that's the one they recommended for my lady friend. She said her OB/GYN had gotten it herself, and called it the "Cadillac of birth control." (I really hate that expression ... what does it even mean? That it's extremely heavy? That it's quiet? That it has lots of leather and faux-wood finish inside it?)

Anyway, that's the second story we've heard about it "migrating" and requiring surgery. I'm sure it was no fun, but how intense was the surgery to get it out? Like, were you back home the same day?

@lurker23: As soon as I started reading about it I thought I should ask all you ladies here. I knew y'all would be honest and informative. The websites talk about all the problems Fade mentioned, but they make them sound like no big deal. And thanks for the kind words ... if there's one good thing about me, I look out for the people I love.

I don't know that she really has a choice about this, other than maybe the make & model of IUD ... she's had crippling pain from menstrual cramps basically forever, and she finally found a doctor who took it seriously. She may have endometriosis, and trying an IUD for a few months is apparently the next step in the diagnostic process.

Tight_N_Juicy and lurker23 like this.
  7. Fade

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It was an outpatient procedure. They did a laparoscopy. I had one incision basically on the bottom edge of my navel and one incision through just above my pubic mound. The scarring is minimal, happily. The one by my navel no one ever notices and the other is very faint at this point.

I was put under general anesthesia and I'm actually not sure how long the entire procedure took. A relative drove me home and I pretty much slept off and on for about three days. The pain after the surgery was unpleasant, but largely tolerable, after having dealt with the IUD itself. I also had some pretty spectacular bruises that lasted a couple of weeks.

8. MsHorny2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have never heard anything good said about an IUD. Stay away, they are not worth the pain.

Draft saved Draft deleted