Do dentist screw people over for money?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Marius567, May 15, 2008.

1. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

Im staring to think my old dentist screwed me over to make more money working on my teeth.

2. psidom

Gold Member

Albums:
    i have never been screwed over by a dentist,
    what makes you think he is trying to milk you for money?

3. Northland

Gold Member

Really? A dentist overcharging? Perhaps it was just an overbite.

I had one dentist who charged me for 8 cavities and fillings on one tooth ( I never went back to him).

4. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

Any doctor, regardless of their specialty, is capable of malpractice and raping your wallet. No practice is completely clean. So yes, it is possible.
    When I was a child, my dentist recommended my parents get me braces for a 3/4-cm overbite.

5. lucky8

Gold Member

it probably happens. just like my mechanic...

6. B_Artful Dodger

B_Artful Dodger New Member

They did in the old days... When they got paid for how much dentistry they did. But now dentists get paid the same (by the NHS in the UK) so thy no longer need to do unnesessary work.

7. D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher

D_Sue Ellen Brastretcher Account Disabled

Prior to this visit how long had it been since you had been to a dentist? Were you flossing and brushing daily, using flouride, limiting sugary drinks and foods? If you are going to chew gum get some with Xylitol in it, it should be 100%. If your teeth were starting to demineralize and he thought that you were not doing good home care he would have probably wanted to go ahead with fillings but if you seemed like you would be committed to proper brushing and flossing he would have NOT done the fillings and let the teeth remineralize.

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

It's still "services rendered" in the good ole' USA, and it's mind-bogglingly expensive.

I paid right at $5000 (out-of-pocket, no insurance) to have 3 shattered molars crowned recently. I have 4 more that really need to be fixed, but I just cannot afford it right now.

The patient cost for the services was outrageous. The process took 3 visits - initial visit, fitting the temporaries, and fitting the crowns. I chose "conscious sedation," which consisted of nitrous oxide ($69 per visit) and 4 valium tablets (2 the night before, and 2 before the procedure) at a cost of $365! I didn't realize they charged so much for that, until I got the bill... if I had, I would have found some illicit street drugs for a LOT less!

Yeah, I call that rape. I did some checking, and in this area, that seems to be "usual and customary charges."

9. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've never been screwed by my dentist, but I have been drilled! *Rimshot*

Ha, that was bad.

10. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

I have absolutely no love for Dentists?

I had a dentist drill on perfectly good teeth. The same Dentist sold me on the idea of getting my upper front teeth capped. That was the beginning of a nightmare that I am still dealing with. The caps never stayed on, and according to the Dentist who did the work the glue used to attach the caps reacted with my body chemistry and dissolved. I was charged $90 every time one of the caps fell off to re-attach it. Again and again and again and again.

In the Los Angeles area the first rip-off was "Quadrant Cleaning". This meant that they divided my mouth into 4 quarters charging me the same price for 1/4 that they previously had for the entire cleaning.

I did not inherit the best teeth to begin with. On my Dad's side of the family, his Sister had dentures by age 23, his Mother by age 19 and though my Dad fought to keep his teeth by the time he died at age 77 they were a mess and he damn near lived in the dentists office.

Between age 12 and age 50 I did an audit when I was, after the death of a parent organizing my own medical records. During those years there had been several different Dentists. I found that my parents and I separately had paid for two root canals from two different dentists on the same tooth.

Total between age 12 and age 50......$57,560.00. spent on teeth that never have been cosmetically good. My care of my mouth has been average and I am not diabetic nor do I have osteoporosis. I could have had the whole mess yanked and bought a nice Rolls Royce Corniche convertable for that money.

When my Mother reached a certain age we opted to purchase dental insurance for her. The clinic in the area recommended by the Insurance Company wanted $455 for a single extraction AFTER the insurance had paid their share. Based on what the Insurance representative told me later the insurance carrier would have paid nearly $200 for that particular extraction. This meant that the clinic if I had said yes would have collected $655 for the extraction of one tooth in an easy access area. I found another dentist in a different area NOT affiliated with the dental insurance carrier that charged us $45 for the same extraction. We paid $45 cash and that was it. CROOKS! The $655 dollar crooks also gave a bill to me telling me that my 75 year old Mom needed some $27,000 dollars worth of work.

I have personally had so many negative experiences with crooked dentists that I now have trouble trusting ANY of them. Yes, there are good ones and since moving to New Mexico I may have found one. The best Dental care at the best prices I have seen is sadly outside United States Borders. A friend of mine went to Mexico when he was told by a Palm Springs, CA dentist that he needed $15,000 worth of dental work. He took the written estimate to a Mexican Dentist who graduated (it was verified) from USC in Southern California. The total for all the repairs was $1,100 to do it all. That Mexican Dentist in 2008 prices gets $25 for an extraction.

All I can say with dentists is do not trust any of them, get multiple opinions, and shop prices for dental work. Avoid Dentists or dental clinics in extremely wealthy areas because they are far worse. If you suspect something doesn't sound right odds are pretty good that the Dentists wants a new Mercedes and you to pay for it.

Shop Shop Shop and verify everything.........

Draft saved Draft deleted