Do gay guys feel the label "gay" is empowering?

bigpex

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Not sure how any word I associate with myself can be considered "empowering." Speaking of labels, I've met many gay guys in my life that had had girlfriends, or at least had had a fair amount of sex with women. That, to me, is not "gay" but "bisexual," because, well, duh, to have had sex with those women their cocks had to get hard. A hard cock means, well, at least some amount of sexual attraction there. I would consider a man gay if he's absolutely never had sex with a female nor ever could picture himself doing so or even imagining himself having the desire to do so. Anything else to me, using his hard cock as the standard, is bisexual if he also has some interest in having sexual relations with men.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I hate labels, too, and think they are stupid.

Within the last week I have decided that I don't like the term Bisexual,
find it demeaning. I think my true title should be MULTI-SEXUAL.

I have, do and will ejoy SEX, whether it be with a woman or a man,
separately, or with both at the same time which is rare, but has taken place.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I hate labels, too, and think they are stupid.

Within the last week I have decided that I don't like the term Bisexual,
find it demeaning. I think my true title should be MULTI-SEXUAL.

I have, do and will ejoy SEX, whether it be with a woman or a man,
separately, or with both at the same time which is rare, but has taken place.

Bisexual just means you have sex with two different sexs. I don't see how that can be demeaning unless used in a demeaning way.

D_Lachtmadder Longhorne

Account Disabled
Media
Nrets, things will change since change is the one constant in all of our lives. You will change simply by coming into your own. You're not living your life for them and their approval, but for yourself, so go and make yourself happy within the changes of your life and don't look back. If your friends become weird you might want to talk to them about it, being open is reassuring and shows a maturity for yours and their comfort level and the friendship that you value. If you end up losing some friends over a label, then it's time to make some new ones along the way who will benefit your life and not judge you based on that label. Sometimes helping a straight man to come to terms with a gay friends identity or lifestyle is an eye opener for them, and they see that you are still the same person as you always were only now they know that you're attracted to men. Dispelling some of the myths and labels that they bought into about 'gay' is a good thing. Besides that who is it that bred that little gay boy or girl in the first place? They did. God Bless Em!

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bigots are everywhere. If a little word like Gay flushes them out use it.

The Gay world seems to have sat on it haunches for the last ten years, settlling for a new remix and a Bacardi Breezer, and letting the political aspect of the Gay Liberation Movement fall by the wayside.

People are still being tortured and killed around the world for wanting to express themselves and their identity. If we let this happen today, it might happen to us tomorrow.

As a group we ALL need to identify as GAY, you don't have to be card carrying members of the club; we should revel in our variety but until we can safely say we share the same freedoms and rights, we are still being discriminated against. (I am talking in a wider global sense)

Whilst people have every right to defame and belittle, degrade and abuse us for, something that we have no choice over, something that IS pre-determined at birth, whilst laws and statutes stand which put us in a position of "lesser" people we should struggle on with the Liberation.

To pull up the draw-bridge now because we are settled in our own idea of domestication, is an insult to all the men and women who suffered and still suffer around the world.

It's called GAY PRIDE for a reason, I feel some of us forget!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A label is a definition. Definitions are empowering. Some would say that gay is limiting...I THINK not.

I am a gay. I am black. I am male. But I am fun person. I can cook. I can write. I can think. I try not to be a hater. I am only human.

I don't date well. I love sex. I love movies and the cinema.

Overall. If you feel that labels aren't empowering...we live in a world of labels. How would we distinguish each other? Even though, gay is a label-- people should not assume things without checking out for sure from every gay man and lesbian.

I have no beef with my fellow straight brothers and sisters. I definately do not feel left out of anything. I have had a lot of good relationships with guys. I never had the inclination or desires for women. It certainly isn't the women's fault. I like men. Sue me. Damn me. Whatever.

When I pass on, God will at least say this guy was consistent. HE DIN'T LIE.

ks001

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Dear Nrets, Empower yourself in any way you want. I am empowered by who I am totally. My intelligence, my ability to make good choices, my business and craft skils, my choice of friends, my desire to work for compassion and justice, are what defines me. On a few occasions, I have been asked point blank, "Are you gay?" When I responed 'yes', I could see by the look in there eyes, they were NOT envisioning me. Gay men are as varried as any other group. I suppose some lables are necessary for organizational purposes, but I really don't put a lot of faith in them. As a formerly 'shy guy' who can now stand in front of an audience and speak with full confidence, knowing your own worth is better than finding any lable that might fit. Your sex life should only be important to you and the person you want to be with. You seem to be a great guy with a wonderful future. Marcus Aurelius said 2 thousand years ago, "Play no tragic part, then you will live no tragic life. All the best to you, Ken

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't feel empowered by being a white man.
That's like Paris Hilton saying she doesn't feel empowered by being rich.

You may not feel empowered by being a white man, but turn into a black one, or a gay one, and you'll pretty soon feel dis-empowered.

When the label "gay" turns into a statement of fact rather than an indictment of your character, then we can be indifferent about applying it. IN 2007, it DOES matter.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I don't believe you for a second, where I'm from (south east london), the area is full of black people, and they all are treated equally from what I've seen, I never hear cries of racism, they vote, shop, go to the cinema etc just like me.

It may be different in Americaland, your country is alot more conservative then liberal UK, but overall, I'd say the gays and blacks have it pretty swell compared to other countries.

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"The Gays"..."The Blacks", You have a lot of work to do with regard respect, and prejudice and acceptance.

But then as we have said before , every post you make shows you up for the intolerant immature bigot you are frizzle.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Very well stated! Quoted and bolded for emphasis.

That's like Paris Hilton saying she doesn't feel empowered by being rich.

You may not feel empowered by being a white man, but turn into a black one, or a gay one, and you'll pretty soon feel dis-empowered.

When the label "gay" turns into a statement of fact rather than an indictment of your character, then we can be indifferent about applying it. IN 2007, it DOES matter.

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't believe you for a second, where I'm from (south east london), the area is full of black people, and they all are treated equally from what I've seen, I never hear cries of racism, they vote, shop, go to the cinema etc just like me.

It may be different in Americaland, your country is alot more conservative then liberal UK, but overall, I'd say the gays and blacks have it pretty swell compared to other countries.

I hate to tell you this, Frizz, but seeing black people in shops and cinemas doesn't exactly make them equal. See them in Parliament in larger numbers, then maybe you have a point.

And, of course, the Admiral Duncan bombing is so long ago that it's forgotten. No?

You're right, in one respect. The laws in the EU are more gay-friendly than in the USA. That's one of the reasons I moved from the US to Europe. But if yo think that discrimination is a thing of the past, you've never really looked very hard.

By the way, everyone. Isn't it interesting that straight white males are the first to tell everyone else that they're not oppressed?

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
"The Gays"..."The Blacks", You have a lot of work to do with regard respect, and prejudice and acceptance.

But then as we have said before , every post you make shows you up for the intolerant immature bigot you are frizzle.

Just because I'm not a Political correct prick like yourself, doesn't make me a bigot (sure I'll accept the immature part on my count :biggrin1:)

All I'm doing is comparing my country to how it was 30/40 years ago, and it's pretty damn good for most, if not all minorities(Although unfortunately I cannot say that it's good/bad not being one.)

green_donkey

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
here here!!

Its the sort of people who frequent the "Gay Scene" that sort of set the stereotype for the rest of us.

The think i hate about the gay scene is that everything is targeted to sex...

I hate labels so i do not call myself gay, bi, or hetro

and saying someone is straight.... does that mean people whom are not hetrosexual or bent or crooked?

but in answer to the first post, no i still think it is the opposite..