Do gay guys feel the label "gay" is empowering?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hate to tell you this, Frizz, but seeing black people in shops and cinemas doesn't exactly make them equal. See them in Parliament in larger numbers, then maybe you have a point. So true!

And, of course, the Admiral Duncan bombing is so long ago that it's forgotten. No?

You're right, in one respect. The laws in the EU are more gay-friendly than in the USA. That's one of the reasons I moved from the US to Europe. But if you think that discrimination is a thing of the past, you've never really looked very hard. The silly twit hasn't looked at all. He hasn't had to . . .

By the way, everyone. Isn't it interesting that straight white males are the first to tell everyone else that they're not oppressed?
I noticed that as well, some things never change. :mad:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm pretty much apathetic on equality issues, mainly because it rarely, if ever effects me.

It always affects you: Where there is inequality in the system, you are the beneficiary and not the victim of that inequality. Your "apathy" indicates your willingness to retain these unequal -- and unearned -- benefits at the expense of others.

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I feel empowered being a member of the LPSG and receiving attention from strangers...the feeling is awesome.....you have the power to control people's emotions....you can make or break their day....subject them to a flurry of emotions with a simple post...you have the power to make others like or dislike you..the choice is yours.....comments from strangers are very significant to people on the LPSG...so yes once again I feel empowered right here with my LPSG family....:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't believe you for a second, where I'm from (south east london), the area is full of black people, and they all are treated equally from what I've seen, I never hear cries of racism, they vote, shop, go to the cinema etc just like me.

It may be different in Americaland, your country is alot more conservative then liberal UK, but overall, I'd say the gays and blacks have it pretty swell compared to other countries.

what more could a black person want in life?? go figure

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
I noticed that as well, some things never change. :mad:

So basically because I'm not in the cool club and oppressed in some shape or form, I'm not allowed to admit that I'm not oppressed. Is that a bad thing now?

It always affects you: Where there is inequality in the system, you are the beneficiary and not the victim of that inequality. Your "apathy" indicates your willingness to retain these unequal -- and unearned -- benefits at the expense of others.

Pretty much.

what more could a black person want in life?? go figure

Sorry I didn't write down a list of what all black people do or whatever, they're just examples. If you can find any part of some legislation in the UK constitution that discriminates unfairly against a particular miniorty, then I'll take back what I said.

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
So basically because I'm not in the cool club and oppressed in some shape or form, I'm not allowed to admit that I'm not oppressed. Is that a bad thing now?

Pretty much.

Sorry I didn't write down a list of what all black people do or whatever, they're just examples. If you can find any part of some legislation in the UK constitution that discriminates unfairly against a particular miniorty, then I'll take back what I said.

oh I am sorry...I thought perhaps you had made a list ..ok well ..let's try this..do you first of all know any...how shall we say...ummmm. black people...? perhaps you could engage them in conversation and ask them...if they feel the legisltion is pro or con...I am sure you will get an earful..... I do hope you are not afraid to speak with them..they are really nice people...they shop and vote and eat ..yep you said it before just like you.....