Do gay guys prefer to wear pink

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by D_Jared Padalicki, May 28, 2008.

1. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Hy,

We always linked the color pink too gay guys. Now I just wanted to know what gay people think of them wearing pink, is it because they like wearing pink or is it because they think that if they wanted to look gay they just had to wear pink? Or do you like the color pink? I don't think that only gay people wear pink, I also own a pink shirt and I don't think it's look gay.

#1 D_Jared Padalicki, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

From this gay mans point of view - I dont own any clothing (nor ever have owned) that is pink. It's not something I avoid because it would "make me look gay" but it's not a colour I am a fan of.

3. strike4

strike4 New Member

Albums:
    This really ranks with the stupidest questions on lpsg.

4. Catchoftheday

Gold Member

You might link the colour pink to gay guys :biggrin1:. I wear pink all the time and I'm not gay:tongue:

5. inwait8

inwait8 Active Member

Albums:
    What worse is that I'm sure there are a lot of people who think this. Hopefully you'll grow out of it.

6. dajunglee786

dajunglee786 New Member

yep again one of the many inaccurate generalisations of sexuality. i wear pale/light pink clothes sometimes and i am not gay.

7. 220483

Gold Member

if PINK is the 'gays guys' colour, WHAT would be the STR8 ones one? macho blue??? :p
    IDIOT question...

8. D_Jared Padalicki

I see that a lot of guys are offended, but I think you guys understand me wrong. I will explain myself again. When you say too a straight man, that he must wear some pink, most men immediatly say that pink is a color for gay people. Now I just wanted to hear your opinions on this idea. I'm not assuming that I also share that idea, so guys, please stop answering with anger. Just tell us what you think about this without being mean, please.

9. catman

Gold Member

"I'll take "moronic stereotypes" for $1000 alex..."

Actually I think level of this question says VOLUMES about the poster....

please tell me you don't plan on having children...would hate for those genetics to go into the gene pool....

10. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I understand your question, pieter, and I'm not offended. But it is a slightly silly question - but only because you should not care what other people think of the colors you choose to wear. And most of the men I've seen wear pink shirts are straight businessmen.

Colors do not have gender or orientation. There are not "gay colors" and "straight colors" and "bisexual colors."

I don't wear pink, because regardless of what shade of pink, it looks terrible with my skin tone. It usually looks better on people with darker skin.

(Anyone remember an episode of The Simpsons, where Homer gets thrown in an insane asylum, because Bart's lucky red hat got washed with his white work shirts, and they came out pink?)

11. Principessa

Gold Member

I have to say the title shocked me. I think you are just asking out of curiosity and ignorance, rather than malice.

If memory serves correct and it usually does, gays were not associated with pink until WWII.

I googled, gay + pink and came up with this: The pink triangle dates from Nazi-era stigmatization of homosexual prisoners by forcing them to wear the pink triangle much as Jews had to wear the yellow star. The pink triangle was never used, at least for gays, before the nazis, as far as I know. The use now is an attempt to turn a stigma into a mark of pride.

12. D_Jared Padalicki

I really don't understand why you should say such stuff! I don't see what this had to do with the question. Don't judge me like that, I just asked a question and the only answer I get is that I would have terrible children. if you think like that... That also said enough about you!

13. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

The association was there before Nazi Germany, and that's how they came up with the idea for making homosexuals wear pink during the Holocaust.

The pink/feminine, blue/masculine thing has been around for a long, long time.

14. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I don't think Pieter's question is silly.
    I don't know about gay men preferring pink, but I do think a lot of straight men will avoid pink because of a connotation.
    I remember having a conversation with an American family living in Europe whose sons were wearing pink, something the parents were rather sure they wouldn't have been willing to do in the States.
    So, it's not necessarily the best question LPSG has ever had ... but there IS a point behind it.

15. Principessa

Gold Member

The pink for girls and blue for boys I think dates back to ancient Rome. I just don't recall pink being used to categorize gays until the Nazi's used it as a negative brand.

16. B_Demention

B_Demention New Member

I own a pink polo shirt. It's actually a pretty cool color to rock, but it takes a certain look and a bit of confidence to pull off.

17. alex8.5

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have and wear a pink dress shirt once in while, it is a very light pink. No I don't associate pink with being gay. I have straight male friends who also wear pink shirts and t-shirts.

I don't think this is a stupid question. It's just a guy looking for a point of view. I don't understand why so many were offended.

18. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

So true, alex. The fact that so many were automatically (or knee-jerk, as I call it) offended indicates that it's actually a pretty valid question. I did call it a silly question, but I didn't mean that in a bad way, and certainly didn't mean it was a stupid question. I think I meant something more along the lines of "you are correct that some people think this, but it's silly that they do."

19. strike4

strike4 New Member

Albums:
    I didn't answer that way out of being offended... except maybe intellectually.

It's the same reaction that I feel when I see the sadly recurring posts about that are thinly veiled racial stereotypes (i.e. blacks with big cocks, asians with small cocks, anyone think russians have big cocks?, ect.). It all boils down to people accepting stereotypes that they wouldn't have if they only looked at how people are in the real world.

OP - I am sure you know lots of people, regardless of orientation that wear pink. Your dad probably has a pink dress or golf shirt.

It just annoyed me b/c I assumed it would start a long, rather pointless discussion about gay colors vs. straight colors that included some poorly researched pop psychology. And I felt like if the OP really wanted to know about the history of gendered color patterns, he could google it. I googled "color" and "gender" and got this link on the social history of pink, which matches a report I heard on NPR:
    gender specific colors: pink

It was the 3rd hit.

So, I didn't mean to be obnoxious - I just thought LPSG was a silly place to ask the question, and it was worded in a way so as to get a lot of responses where people would debate about sexuality, etc.

By the way, OP - I hope there are no hard feelings. I checked out your pics, and I have one hard feeling for you, between my legs.

20. D_Jared Padalicki

That was surtenly not the thing that I had in mind, I also hate those long, pointless discussions about gay and straight, uncut and cut, ... . I was just wondering how you guys felt about this stereotype-idea that many people still have.

No hard feelings, just being gently next time, you get more with being friendly. Thanks for the compliment by the way!

(ps. What stands OP for? I really don't know.)

Draft saved Draft deleted