Do Gay People have a Similar Set of Universal Physical Features?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It seems really hard for people to grasp that gays are identical in every way other than liking men instead of women. It's not some disgusting malformation that needs scrutiny and/or scientific explanation, it is what it is.
What he said!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was just thinking about this. It's primarily in the facial features that I notice it, but it seems like gay men have a certain jaw, lip, teeth structure or certain eye shape that is similar among them. I mean, it's obviously not all people, and it's a superficial way of looking at people. But it's just a general observation.

Its like have you ever just looked at someone and had a feeling that they were gay? Maybe you call it gaydar, but it could be something physical that you notice about someone besides that.

If that's the case, do gay women have similar features, or do straight people have universal features among them? It's something interesting to discuss.

What does everyone think?
I think you're a few sandwiches short of a picnic. :rolleyes::tongue: There is no universal physical similarity in gay men.

It seems really hard for people to grasp that gays are identical in every way, other than liking men instead of women. It's not some disgusting malformation that needs scrutiny and/or scientific explanation, it is what it is.
Thank you! Very well stated. :cool:

hehehe; you're welcome. Now if you were only 10 or 15 years older...
Speaking of beautiful, humongous weiners when are you going to visit me in NW, GA? :flirt:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
yes, all gay men have malformed mouths and tongues which cause them to lisp..some of us get over it.......:confused:

Hehehehe....I see i'm not the only one who found the question absurd.

It seems really hard for people to grasp that gays are identical in every way other than liking men instead of women. It's not some disgusting malformation that needs scrutiny and/or scientific explanation, it is what it is.

Bingo.

F_Man

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I've shared that same observation. I do see a trend in facial characteristics in gay men. I know that this is a dangerous subject, it's not absolute by any means. I've noticed similarities in jaw lines and especially in mouths. I've even noticed this before I identified myself as gay. Some guys you can tell by looking at their face. I can think of a whole handful of guys like this. Am I making this up?

yep. queers are all the same. just like jews and them blacks, no?
- - -

rules of attraction:) you see in others what you wish, and seek to see it. seeing what you wished, even if you didn't, you build assumptions. seeing something you wished you didn't, you disregard it, and feel you didn't.

see->believe. believe->see :rolleyes:

D_Lachtmadder Longhorne

Account Disabled
Media
I can see what he means in his question, but the only similarity is that some gay men have a tendency to get the same fad haircuts, wear similar clothing and as far as facial similarities go, a lot of gay men make the same facial expressions when they say 'mhmm and Eeew! and do that whole black chick neck thing while saying 'oh no you di int' ... other than that my whole family must be gay if the observation is true because we all look alike and have the same jawline and facial features. Yeah, yeah, I know I don't have a pic posted, but that's my choice.

kjguy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
see->believe. believe->see :rolleyes:

I like that. That can make a lot of sense. I'm definitely open to interpretation about these things, and I like hearing everyone's view. Even those who see the absurdity in the question. You know, it's just something to think about and start discussion. And this thread has been pretty successful, so it works!

Randyvoorburg

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
CSUF professor makes gay-straight physical comparisons

Some traits may be more common in gay men than straight men

By: Sean Belk

About 10 years ago, Cal State Fullerton psychology professor Richard Lippa walked up and down Brea Mall, perusing areas known to have gay populations.

Whether at a beach or a festival, Lippa and a few students searched for certain physical characteristics in both gay and straight men, such as whether their hair swirled to the right or to the left.

Every time they noticed a man's hair whorl swirling in a counterclockwise fashion, they quietly pressed their left-hand clicker. For a clockwise whorl, they pressed the right-hand clicker.

Click. Click. Click.

By the end of his study, Lippa had assessed the hair whorls of over 1,000 men, and he found that about 21.3 percent of men at gay pride festivals had counterclockwise whorls, whereas a little under 10 percent of men in general had clockwise whorls.

Lippa is quick to emphasize that most gay men (about 80 percent), like most straight men (about 90 percent), have the majority pattern: a clockwise hair whorl.

But what interests him is, when compared to straight men, gay men had a higher frequency of counterclockwise whorls.

While some might find this confusing or odd, Lippa speculates his study could add to recent evidence that sexual orientation is a trait someone is born with.

Throughout his years of research, Lippa said he is now able to easily decipher a person's traits and whether one is homosexual, which is commonly termed as "gaydar."

A CSUF teacher since 1976, Lippa appeared on the Tyra Banks Show in October, where he was asked to judge a panel of six men and decide whether each was gay or straight. By the way they walked, talked and interacted with each other, Lippa was, in fact, able to judge each person's sexual orientation accurately.

But observing the 1,000 men for his recent study was more difficult, Lippa said.

Lippa's research comes on the heels of a similar study by biologist Amar Klar, who published an observational study in 2003 suggesting gay men are more likely to have counterclockwise hair whorls than straight men.

In an attempt to replicate Klar's finding, Lippa conducted his own research and found that the rate of counterclockwise hair whorls is, indeed, about twice as large in gay men as in heterosexual men. The study left out women, because, according to Lippa, their hair tends to be longer and thus, harder to observe.

His research not only looks at the patterns of people's hair, but also whether they are left-handed or right-handed.

This study concluded that more gay men (about 13 percent) than heterosexual men (11 percent) were left-handed, and similarly, more lesbian women (13 percent) than straight women (10 percent) were also left-handed.

Although much of his findings show slight differences, Lippa said his research is still on the fringe of discovery, and there are other factors that could make up a person's sexual preference that should be taken into consideration. Other biologists, for instance, say that left-handedness and sexual orientation can be attributed to birth defects in the womb, Lippa said.

"You shouldn't take from this that you can look to see if you're gay or straight," Lippa said.

Along with his other studies, Lippa is currently working with two biologists on DNA research to discover if there could be a "gay gene," one that would provide evidence of whether someone is born gay, or bisexual in some cases.

Jennifer Trevitt, CSUF assistant professor of psychology, said that biological psychology is linking the physiological foundation with how people communicate. She said interlinking the two subjects can help shed light on certain diseases or conditions such as schizophrenia or Parkinson's disease, which she is currently studying.

In Lippa's study, she said the idea is that most traits can be linked to genes and some seem to travel together.

"It seems kind of weird, but it may be the genes that show characteristics are closer together on the same chromosome. There are some things that are common underlying factors," Trevitt said. "It's very intriguing stuff."

Ali Mushtaq, a member of the CSUF Queer Straight Alliance, said he supports such research that dispels the stereotypes common in today's media, such as that gay men are perceived to be more feminine than straight men.

"We seem to attach behaviors with sexuality," Mushtaq said.

But for Mushtaq, who is also conducting his own research on sociological factors, such research can have a double effect on the perception of homosexuals. He said if studies show that homosexuality is an inherent trait, then the public would have a hard time discriminating against people that have no choice over their sex partners. But he also said it could lead to homosexuals being termed as "born deviant," such as people with Attention Deficit Disorder who are commonly given the right to act different.

"I know from personal experience that you do not choose to be gay," Mushtaq said. "But you have to look at heterosexuals and homosexuals at the same time. You draw conclusions from what we get from those, and if that's the case, then we're going to say, 'So you're biologically wired to be deviant?'"

Lippa's wide range of research was recently published in the psychological journal, "Archives of Sexual Behavior," in April 2007, for a special section attributed to studies based from a British Broadcasting Corp. Internet survey.

The survey, taken by about 250,000 people worldwide, asked questions about gender differences, sex drive, behaviors and mate preferences, Lippa said. The survey was part of a 2005 BBC documentary "Secrets of the Sexes," in which he explained that data pertaining to certain feminine and masculine traits are similar across 53 nations.

The data included such findings as an overwhelmingly large proportion of men prefer good-looking women when choosing a mate while women prefer honesty, humor, kindness and dependability more than physical attraction.

Lippa said so far, it appears that men are the more "biologically" determined of the sexes, whereas women with high sex drives tend to desire both genders. As described in his book, "Gender, Nature and Nurture," Lippa said these findings implicate that sexual orientation is primarily diverse in men and women.

"Women are more flexible and fluid than men, and tend to be bisexual," Lippa said. "Men are usually either or."

While he said it might sound weird that a person's hair whorl could be linked to sexual orientation, diet, drink, alcohol and infectious diseases could also affect developmental instabilities, Lippa said.

Another study, where he worked with Canadian psychologist Ray Blanchard, shows that gay men are more likely to have more older brothers, when compared to straight men, because of what is called "the fraternal birth order effect," according Lippa said.

Prenatal hormone levels might contribute to both left-handedness and sexual orientation, from an immunological reaction, Lippa says. As a mother produces more children, the amount of male tissues decreases in the womb, which Lippa said could affect a baby's sexual development.

"This does offer a little bit of circumstantial evidence that maybe one of the factors that lead to sexual orientation is prenatal hormones," Lippa said. "There are thousands of things that could affect development."

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I remember many disputes among scientists as to the nature-nurture ontogenetic origins of homosexuality among men. Inter-uterine testosterone sampling, dominant mother studies, abusive father studies, and a whole host of other theories have abounded. None of them have been conclusive.

I'm gonna hide in the root cellar after posting this:

"D.F. Swaab conducted the next noteworthy experiment in 1990. This experiment became the first to document a physiological difference in the anatomical structure of a gay man's brain. Swaab found in his post-mortem examination of homosexual males' brains that a portion of the hypothalamus of the brain was structurally different than a heterosexual brain. The hypothalamus is the portion of the human brain directly related to sexual drive and function. In the homosexual brains examined, a small portion of the hypothalamus, termed the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), was found to be twice the size of its heterosexual counterpart." -- Source

From what I recall (this study was done at McMaster U and a distant colleague of mine was involved), all of the gay cadavers died of AIDS complications, so once can argue that this is what caused the difference in the gay males hypothalamus.

"At the same time, another scientist, Laura S. Allen made a similar discovery in the hypothalamus as well. She found that the anterior commissure (AC) of the hypothalamus was also significantly larger in the homosexual subjects than that of the heterosexuals. Both Swaab's and Allen's results became a standing ground for the biological argument on homosexuality. The very fact that the AC and the SCN are not involved in the regulation of sexual behavior makes it highly unlikely that the size differences results from differences in sexual behavior. Rather the size differences came prenatally during sexual differentiation. The size and shape of the human brain is determined biologically and is impacted minutely, if at all by behavior of any kind." -- Source

At the risk of losing all of my wonderful gay friends, I have to come out of the closet and say that I believe that homosexual men are neurologically different than heterosexual men. The gay lisp is a perfect example. As a neurolinguist, I can safely say that lisps are not caused by sexual lifestyle. They are often caused by neurological anomalies. In homosexual men, lisps develop with speech. Unless treated, they last a lifetime.

I believe that the results of these studies also indicate that homosexuality, at least among gay men, is not a lifestyle choice.

I didn't mention lesbians because I, honestly, haven't studied them.

losangelestim

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
yes, at least gay men do. they are the paradigm from which all other (masculine) models are spun off from. for example: take the perfect (gay male to male) type and stir in fear and compromise and you have a straight guy. right?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
CSUF professor makes gay-straight physical comparisons

Some traits may be more common in gay men than straight men

By: Sean Belk

About 10 years ago, Cal State Fullerton psychology professor Richard Lippa walked up and down Brea Mall, perusing areas known to have gay populations.

Whether at a beach or a festival, Lippa and a few students searched for certain physical characteristics in both gay and straight men, such as whether their hair swirled to the right or to the left.

Every time they noticed a man's hair whorl swirling in a counterclockwise fashion, they quietly pressed their left-hand clicker. For a clockwise whorl, they pressed the right-hand clicker.

Click. Click. Click.

By the end of his study, Lippa had assessed the hair whorls of over 1,000 men, and he found that about 21.3 percent of men at gay pride festivals had counterclockwise whorls, whereas a little under 10 percent of men in general had clockwise whorls.

Lippa is quick to emphasize that most gay men (about 80 percent), like most straight men (about 90 percent), have the majority pattern: a clockwise hair whorl.

But what interests him is, when compared to straight men, gay men had a higher frequency of counterclockwise whorls.

While some might find this confusing or odd, Lippa speculates his study could add to recent evidence that sexual orientation is a trait someone is born with.

Throughout his years of research, Lippa said he is now able to easily decipher a person's traits and whether one is homosexual, which is commonly termed as "gaydar."

A CSUF teacher since 1976, Lippa appeared on the Tyra Banks Show in October, where he was asked to judge a panel of six men and decide whether each was gay or straight. By the way they walked, talked and interacted with each other, Lippa was, in fact, able to judge each person's sexual orientation accurately.

But observing the 1,000 men for his recent study was more difficult, Lippa said.

Lippa's research comes on the heels of a similar study by biologist Amar Klar, who published an observational study in 2003 suggesting gay men are more likely to have counterclockwise hair whorls than straight men.

In an attempt to replicate Klar's finding, Lippa conducted his own research and found that the rate of counterclockwise hair whorls is, indeed, about twice as large in gay men as in heterosexual men. The study left out women, because, according to Lippa, their hair tends to be longer and thus, harder to observe.

His research not only looks at the patterns of people's hair, but also whether they are left-handed or right-handed.

This study concluded that more gay men (about 13 percent) than heterosexual men (11 percent) were left-handed, and similarly, more lesbian women (13 percent) than straight women (10 percent) were also left-handed.

Although much of his findings show slight differences, Lippa said his research is still on the fringe of discovery, and there are other factors that could make up a person's sexual preference that should be taken into consideration. Other biologists, for instance, say that left-handedness and sexual orientation can be attributed to birth defects in the womb, Lippa said.

"You shouldn't take from this that you can look to see if you're gay or straight," Lippa said.

Along with his other studies, Lippa is currently working with two biologists on DNA research to discover if there could be a "gay gene," one that would provide evidence of whether someone is born gay, or bisexual in some cases.

Jennifer Trevitt, CSUF assistant professor of psychology, said that biological psychology is linking the physiological foundation with how people communicate. She said interlinking the two subjects can help shed light on certain diseases or conditions such as schizophrenia or Parkinson's disease, which she is currently studying.

In Lippa's study, she said the idea is that most traits can be linked to genes and some seem to travel together.

"It seems kind of weird, but it may be the genes that show characteristics are closer together on the same chromosome. There are some things that are common underlying factors," Trevitt said. "It's very intriguing stuff."

Ali Mushtaq, a member of the CSUF Queer Straight Alliance, said he supports such research that dispels the stereotypes common in today's media, such as that gay men are perceived to be more feminine than straight men.

"We seem to attach behaviors with sexuality," Mushtaq said.

But for Mushtaq, who is also conducting his own research on sociological factors, such research can have a double effect on the perception of homosexuals. He said if studies show that homosexuality is an inherent trait, then the public would have a hard time discriminating against people that have no choice over their sex partners. But he also said it could lead to homosexuals being termed as "born deviant," such as people with Attention Deficit Disorder who are commonly given the right to act different.

"I know from personal experience that you do not choose to be gay," Mushtaq said. "But you have to look at heterosexuals and homosexuals at the same time. You draw conclusions from what we get from those, and if that's the case, then we're going to say, 'So you're biologically wired to be deviant?'"

Lippa's wide range of research was recently published in the psychological journal, "Archives of Sexual Behavior," in April 2007, for a special section attributed to studies based from a British Broadcasting Corp. Internet survey.

The survey, taken by about 250,000 people worldwide, asked questions about gender differences, sex drive, behaviors and mate preferences, Lippa said. The survey was part of a 2005 BBC documentary "Secrets of the Sexes," in which he explained that data pertaining to certain feminine and masculine traits are similar across 53 nations.

The data included such findings as an overwhelmingly large proportion of men prefer good-looking women when choosing a mate while women prefer honesty, humor, kindness and dependability more than physical attraction.

Lippa said so far, it appears that men are the more "biologically" determined of the sexes, whereas women with high sex drives tend to desire both genders. As described in his book, "Gender, Nature and Nurture," Lippa said these findings implicate that sexual orientation is primarily diverse in men and women.

"Women are more flexible and fluid than men, and tend to be bisexual," Lippa said. "Men are usually either or."

While he said it might sound weird that a person's hair whorl could be linked to sexual orientation, diet, drink, alcohol and infectious diseases could also affect developmental instabilities, Lippa said.

Another study, where he worked with Canadian psychologist Ray Blanchard, shows that gay men are more likely to have more older brothers, when compared to straight men, because of what is called "the fraternal birth order effect," according Lippa said.

Prenatal hormone levels might contribute to both left-handedness and sexual orientation, from an immunological reaction, Lippa says. As a mother produces more children, the amount of male tissues decreases in the womb, which Lippa said could affect a baby's sexual development.

"This does offer a little bit of circumstantial evidence that maybe one of the factors that lead to sexual orientation is prenatal hormones," Lippa said. "There are thousands of things that could affect development."
Oh these are VERY scientific ground breaking studies.......I think not

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why is it that all minorities apparently look alike? First black people, then Asian people, and now it's faggots. Goddamn it.

I do not look like fucking Clay Aiken, okay? Maybe he'll look like me when he gets his pink-socky ass out of the closet, but for frak's sakes we don't all look alike.

Haha, no. In all seriousness we developed those adaptations to be able to accomodate massive cocks pounding our faces. Which gay people also have in common. Massive cocks. Why else do you think this website is so full of homos?

Chick&2DicksUK

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Can see where the idea is coming from though:

They are, indeed, all similar in that they all DO Have One Of Everything Down The Middle And Two Of Everything Located On Either Side.........Spooky.

Attachments

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media

At the risk of losing all of my wonderful gay friends, I have to come out of the closet and say that I believe that homosexual men are neurologically different than heterosexual men. The gay lisp is a perfect example. As a neurolinguist, I can safely say that lisps are not caused by sexual lifestyle. They are often caused by neurological anomalies. In homosexual men, lisps develop with speech. Unless treated, they last a lifetime.

I believe that the results of these studies also indicate that homosexuality, at least among gay men, is not a lifestyle choice.

I didn't mention lesbians because I, honestly, haven't studied them.
I have something to throw out at yah. I consider myself bi-gender... so I flip from a gay male mindset to a bisexual girl. I have acquired the lisp.. but when I flip back into girl mode it doesn't exist. How would you explain this?

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I have something to throw out at yah. I consider myself bi-gender... so I flip from a gay male mindset to a bisexual girl. I have acquired the lisp.. but when I flip back into girl mode it doesn't exist. How would you explain this?

Osmosis? I can't explain it. Lisps can be caused by non-neurological phenomenon, such as trauma, shyness, or articulatory organ deformities.

I know that you switch from gender to gender (I have been meaning to ask you if this is voluntary or involuntary), but I really can't explain the lisp.

When you are a gay male, do you swish and listen to Britny?