Do I have an alcohol problem?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV, Nov 25, 2006.

1. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

To start off, I personally do not believe I have a problem...no one has expressed any concern to me stating they thought I did. However, I thought I'd discuss my use for alcohol. Occasionally when I'm in a situation where I have to meet new people or am doing something that makes me VERY nervous (Public speaking), I like to have a drink or two. My drink of choice is Peach Schnapps. Yes, its a woman's drink...but it tastes mmm mmm good =P.

I usually drink enough to give me a small buzz, not drunk by any means. I've never actually been drunk. I don't like beer or any hard liquor and its pretty hard to get drunk off schnapps. I have a public speaking class and am told by many that I speak well and get a lot of positive feedback. However, even knowing I'm next to speak in that class or any other time my heart literally races and I panic etc.

With my other example, I'm also told I'm a very friendly person. But I do tend to be kind of quiet around newer people. I like to make a good first impression and find that with a little alcohol in me I become a me that I like, one that doesn't have any inhibitions talking to other people, asking questions and getting to know them.

Again, I'm not by any means smashed or anything close to drunk. To make sure I wasn't going overboard I would ask people while talking to them if I seemed any different to them, closer friends I flat out asked if it was obvious I drank anything and they all said no. Is it wrong to use alcohol in this way? Does this count as an "abuse" of alcohol? I don't see anything wrong with it but the reason I do have a slight concern is possibly wondering if a small use like this is what leads to a more heavier abuse later in life? Also I hardly do this, maybe once every 1-3 months if I have to do something I know I'll do better as a looser person. What are your opinions on this?

2. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

Oliver Reed was asked if he thought he had a drink problem.

"Yes," he said "I only have one mouth."

You don't have a drink problem. :smile:

3. dannymawg

Gold Member

Not yet, anyway. Lots of AA experience in the family here :rolleyes:

Just don't get all Jackie Gleason with it. Level of dependency can vary wildly. A once a month weekend binger is still an alcoholic if it still interferes with other people/issues. If you are not endangering yourself and others, learn what you need to do to keep that in check.

Then again... "everything in moderation - including moderation" - Mark Twain

:biggrin1:

4. dong20

Gold Member

I'm not qualified to answer your question. All I'd say is that if your use (or none use) of alcohol interferes with your normal daily life, and your social interactions or, these require intake of alcohol to become acceptable or successful I would seek a professional opinion, in fact I'd do that anyway even if only to put your mind at ease.

Alcoholism and alcohol abuse are not the same thing.

Maybe have a look at :

Short Alcohol Dependence Data questionnaire - There's a link to the questionnaire at the bottom.

Or try the GAGE test:
    1. Have you ever felt you needed to Cut down on your drinking?
    2. Have people Annoyed you by criticizing your drinking?
    3. Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
    4. Have you ever felt you needed a drink first thing in the morning (Eyeopener) to steady your nerves or to get rid of a hangover?
    Two 'yes' answers is an indication of a potential problem. I'd say not, and the fact that you ask the question at all is probably reassuring in itself.:smile:

5. BigA

BigA New Member

Ummm. So you only do this like every 1-3 months. And you only have 1 drink or 2? Sounds like not it's not a problem. Although, the fact that you feel like you need to drink to perform in these situations sounds a little disturbing. I feel looser when I drink too. And I like that. So I found myself judt drunk all the time. But it sounds like you'r enot like me. Fortunately

6. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    You're not an alcoholic. Some other people here are, but you're not.

7. BigA

BigA New Member

oh, and who might that be?

8. D_Roderick Beresford Stiffington IV

Thanks for the support guys. When looking at those four questions you posted, the only one that got my attention was
    1. Have you ever felt Guilty about drinking?
    I guess I kind of do or I wouldn't have posted about this. Again, I don't drink a lot but the reason of my drinking is what made me feel guilty about it. I had figured that in my present state it was okay but again I was thinking ahead to the future and wondering if this is how problems start out leading to bigger things. I'm confident I won't go overboard and start abusing alcohol. I'm fairly good at controlling cravings...except sometimes biting my nails and jerking off =P.

9. happyfeet

happyfeet New Member

My speech instructor actually recommended that we take a nip or two prior to a speech if it would help us relax.

It doesn't sound to me like drinking is your problem. People use alcohol to loosen themselves up all the time. I think that's the real purpose for it.

10. Love-it

Gold Member

If the police stop your car they will let you know if you have an alcohol problem.

11. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

I'll say that you don't sound like an Alcoholic but...I'm one and I'm 11 years sober in AA and you drink for the same reason I did. In AA we say "It's not how much you drink or how often you drink, it's what happens when you drink". It sounds like you may need therapy instead of AA. Find the root of this before it develops further.

To be sure, have a look at these questions and answer honestly:
    AA's 20 Questions

12. dcstiffey

dcstiffey New Member

Orbitz - I am a clinical psych so I feel the need to give my input. You are not an alcoholic, in fact you are not even an abuser or dependent (based on the information that you give), but you are at-risk because you are using alcohol as a coping tool in social situations. While you are still in the clear learn some other strategies for dealing with your social situations.

13. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

You sound to me like the lightest of social drinkers.
    There may be a small problem of social insecurity ... but even that, if it only 'drives you to one or two drinks" every couple of months, can hardly be crippling.
    But sure, if you're worried, maybe you should see a counsellor of some kind.
    The insecurity may be worth ventilating and achieving some insight more than worthwhile.

14. Rubenesque

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know about not being able to get drunk on Peach Shnapps.... I rarely drink and can be left virtually unconscious just from sniffing a box of chocolate liqueurs.

It means on a night out I'm generally legless by 8.30pm, but on the plus side, I'm a very cheap date!! lol

For what it's worth, I don't think you have a drink problem, no.

15. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not me, but there have been some issue-laden losers around here whose alcohol problems were the least of their worries.

16. trufitjock

trufitjock Member

Albums:
    No Decient Alcohiloc Would Be Caught Dead Drinking That Drink.. So No You Dont Have A Problem..

17. BigA

BigA New Member

Lol. I know. I thought you wre talking to me directly

18. Yorkie

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have a bottle of raspberry schnapps here and it's 40% alcohol volume.A few shots of this stuff and sobriety is not an option! :smile:
    Orbitz,you don't have a drink problem but don't underestimate the power of the schnapps!

19. snoozan

Gold Member

it sounds like self-medication for a little social anxiety. you could talk to a counselor or a doctor and possibly get some medication that would serve the same function. some short-term therapy or even learning some self-hypnosis techniques might help too. however, if it's really only affecting you a couple times a month, maybe a nip here and there is the better option. the only real downside is that if people smell the alcohol on your breath, you may lose some sort of credibility. also it may affect you badly if you, say, get pulled over and are above the legal limit.

still, i know a lot of people that have drinking problems and this doesn't sound all that alarming.

20. Heather LouAnna

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do you have two DWIs? lol

Draft saved Draft deleted