Do Men Who Have Sisters Relate Differently To Women?

cason

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is a question I've asked a couple of women before but I thought it would be interesting to hear a more widespread female perspective on the subject.

I am eldest of three brothers, with no sisters and although raised predominantly by women, (my dad was merchant navy and away most of the time) I had, I would say, limited contact and understanding of girls in my childhood and young to late teens. They were a mystery and a little scary as my hormones kicked in. What to say? What to do around them? How did they think? Well, I couldn't ask could I? :confused:
Yet I would look at some of my friends with sisters acting very naturally around girls, seeming comfortable, less self conscious and without the fixed look I felt I had on my face of a boy in the jungle confronted by his first lioness.:eek:
I guessed it was that they had grown up with a whole different perspective on and attitude towards 'girls'. Obviously they had to wait unil the same age as myself to find their feelings for other girls progressively becoming sexual, but I always thought they started their adventure better equipped to view these strange beings as real people.
I quickly picked up the slack thankfully and have always had great relationships with women, whom I love. I've always had a best female friend but I've asked before and I'll ask here too now, is there in your experiences any noticeable difference in guys with and without sisters? Do guys with sisters have more female empathy? Are they more relaxed and expressive with you, even now? I have said to my best friend I would have loved to have had her as a big sis growing up, even just to ask about what makes girls tick.:rolleyes:
I have wondered if my relationships with women would have differed in any way. Who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScorpioSlut

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think your theory makes quite a bit of sense. I have no brothers (thankfully most of my very close friends have been male) otherwise sometimes I think I would lack the understanding I have of them. I have female friends without brothers and they seem to struggle with men more than those who do. I have male friends without sisters and they seem to struggle with women more than those friends who do have sisters. I don't think there is a definite truth to any of these things but in general it does seem to hold true and make sense. I think things like my situation where you grew up with friends of the opposite sex who were practically like siblings definitely give you a similar advantage.

cason

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh yeah, I definitely don't think there's any golden rules here or definitive answers. I don't think there are for many things in life and I don't look for them. I realize there are so many variables at work here too. Personalities, the relative ages, the type of sibling relationship etc.. I mean a bad relationship could possibly have the opposite effect. I guess I'm more interested in the emotional advantages/disadvantages or differences; or ability to empathise and express ourselves, rather than sexual conquests; if they exist. Thanks for offering your points of view though.

Last edited:

ScorpioSlut

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Definitely wasn't talking about the sexual conquest side of things. It's more the fact that males and females (generally speaking) have different mental and emotional processes when put in certain situations. If you've been around the opposite sex during these situations and your relationship was close enough you will definitely get sort of an inside look at how the process works and evolves and will help you to better understand the process should it occur again....even if with a different person (though it won't be exactly the same). I think I have a fairly good understanding of how en work.....thought I won't claim to know everything.....but some people are shocked that I sort of know what is going to happen in any given situation and what the possible outcomes might be. Some women are also very surprised with the ease at which I deal with some of their behaviors no matter how shocking they might be.....but over the years it has been my experience and if that's how someone generally deals with things why should they change?

cason

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for the response Scorpio. I won't push this thread on any further as it seems to have bombed. Mods, please move this to the rhetorical sub-forum please. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

StraightCock4Her

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rules of what makes women tick:

1. Cock makes bitches crazy, yo
2. Cat fights happen when one girl wants to lick another girl but a guy gets in the way with the penis thing making them go crazy, yo
3. PMS is a symptom of not enough cock making them go crazy, yo
4. Women dress nice because it gets them more cock than when they don't dress nice, which means they get to go crazy, yo.

/Women

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for the response Scorpio. I won't push this thread on any further as it seems to have bombed. Mods, please move this to the rhetorical sub-forum please. :biggrin1:
No, it's a logical question; but people are too often illogical. :cool: Actually, I think the reason few people responded is because the title kinda sucks and doesn't give a clue as to what the thread is about. :redface: Also, for many of us the answer is kinda complicated, or perhaps just hard to explain as can be seen by my too long answer below. :tongue:

1) My first serious boyfriend had 2 much older sisters who pretty much raised him. He was the youngest of 6, with 9 years between him and the next sibling. He was very comfortable with women understood our cycles, periods, moodiness, love of shoes, jewelry, chocolate, and makeup, etc. From this relationship I wisely hypothesized that all men with sisters made good boyfriends because they had grown up with women and understood us. :rolleyes: Sadly, I have never been more wrong! :frown1: Not sure this matters but I met him at 19, freshman year in college. He was a history major who wanted to be a teacher and was a walk on player for the baseball team. Very athletic build. He had, had many lovers in high school. He introduced me to a great many things. :biggrin1: :rolleyes: His family was very Catholic and had wanted him to become a priest. They sent him to a prestigious, all boys Catholic school in north Jersey where he some how discovered girls and sex. :lmao: He went on a hunger strike until they allowed him to transfer to the local vo-tech high school where he studied plumbing & HVAC. Conclusion: Having 2 sisters was a definite benefit. Then again maybe it was all the older sisters-in-laws he also had?:confused:

2) I had a long term friend with benefits who was the older brother of my best friend in high school. Athletic, but shy we never talked in high school. He was a senior when I was a freshman. He swears we rode the same bus but I have no memory of him. :lmao: It was years later that we hooked up. By then he was a U.S. Marine who had done tours of duty in Beirut and Kuwait. He and his brothers preferred women to be old fashioned, like Donna Reed. I do not now, nor have I ever fit that description. :cool: So I have no idea why he liked me other than the fact I was only 5 blocks away and knew how to make marinara from scratch like his mom. :wink: Given the fact he has been divorced twice I'm guessing he still doesn't get women. Found him on classmayes.com a few months back. He is on wife number 3, so we'll see how this goes. LOL He never went to college but he is certified to work on large engines and he used to be a truck driver. His personality was cuddly teddy bear mixed with Animal House and Marine stuff. Conclusion: Having 1 younger sister did not benefit this man in any way.

3) My next serious relationship was with a man who had an older and a younger sister. Other than being comfortable talking to women in a social setting he had no clue about how our bodies worked or why. :confused: If I hinted that I might be experiencing bloat or getting my period he would crinkle up his face and go "eeeww!" much like I do, when I see a spider in the house. :irked: Though 3 years older than me, I was only the second woman with whom he had been. I later realized that much of his 'weirdness' about sex had to do with him being such a devout Catholic. He was also a dentist and very analytically minded. He loved art but was definetly not a creative type. He was more like Greg on that show Dharma & Greg. :cool: Conclusion: Having 2 sisters did not benefit this man in any way.

4) Next serious relationship. Has one younger sister whom he doesn't like, :rolleyes: has been married 3 times. An ASE Certified Mechanic, he is also certified to work on large diesel engines, has owned his own landscaping company, been an arborist, a restaurant manager, a coast to coast iron welder and is pretty good at fixing motorcycles as well. Has no problem talking to women but is clueless as to when they are flirting with him or actually want sex. :rolleyes: Conclusion: He has 1 younger sister and is completely clueless about women.

5) I'm never sure how to classify this guy because we never had sex, nor did we date. :confused: He has one older sister, she is 2 weeks younger than me. He is 3 years younger than me. I usually call him a boyfriend but we really weren't. Yet friend with benefits is some how wrong as well. I have been known to refer to him as, the one who got away.:rolleyes:

Bottomline we grew up in the same neighborhood, went to the same church, and high school and I was his sisters maid-of-honor. There was a period of maybe 4 years that whenever he wasn't seeing someone and I wasn't seeing someone we got together and made out hot and heavy (neither his sister nor anyone else ever knew). Good with his hands :wink: he owned his first car years before he could legally drive. Has a 2 year college degree in Auto Repair. His dad was an electrical engineer with Bell Labs and had numerous patents; if it has 4 wheels and an engine he can fix it. Conclusion: He has 1 older sister and understands women. We are friends to this day. :cool:

Are y'all noticing a trend here? Seems I like men who work well with their hands. Though I never measured, all of the above men had long, thick cocks. :biggrin1: :cool:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rules of what makes women tick:

1. Cock makes bitches crazy, yo
2. Cat fights happen when one girl wants to lick another girl but a guy gets in the way with the penis thing making them go crazy, yo
3. PMS is a symptom of not enough cock making them go crazy, yo
4. Women dress nice because it gets them more cock than when they don't dress nice, which means they get to go crazy, yo.

/Women
Sometimes I swear you are 14 with the ridiculous answers you post. :mad: :irked: Honestly, if you don't know or have nothing useful to say it would behoove you to STFU. :angryfire2: The fact you believe the insipid crap you post and are above the legal age of consent makes me fear for the future of our country; because there are probably thousands more like you.

StraightCock4Her

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sometimes I swear you are 14 with the ridiculous answers you post. :mad: :irked: Honestly, if you don't know or have nothing useful to say it would behoove you to STFU. :angryfire2: The fact you believe the insipid crap you post and are above the legal age of consent makes me fear for the future of our country; because there are probably thousands more like you.

See, this bitch be crazy because I was talking about cock. Point made.

:biggrin1:

greatdickismydrug

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree with NJ that you would've gotten more responses if your title made sense.
Your question is interesting and provactive.

I can relate to you as I had only intermittent contact with my father, had no brothers, no uncles, no living grandfathers....the only men I knew were my mother's husbands and boyfriends and those relationships did nothing to further my positve feelings towards men. Therefore, I struck out on my own at a very young age, determined to discover the secrets and wonders of the male.

I'm convinced that my lack of non-sexual male exposure as a young person has made men and their maleness that much more attractive to me.

As for the differences in the men I have dated, I found that those with sisters usually are more understanding...or at least respectful, of a woman's temperament.
But, I have been with men who are the only male in a family of women who were treated like the crown prince heir to the family jewels and had an attitude to match.

The worst experiences I have had are with men who were born only children.

ScorpioSlut

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
In all fairness I think it is more complicated than simply having a sister. I think the important factor is the type of relationship you have. If you don't have a close relationship then it will probably be harder for the male to relate to women. If they have a very close and open relationship then the likelihood is that the guy will understand and empathize with women much more easily. Of course as with everything in life there are those who do not fit into broad generalizations.

MagicJohnsonFan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
In my experience, men raised with sisters do better with women than men without. That is quite the generalization though, so don't attack me please. :tongue:

I tend to agree. Although "better" might not be the best word...but they do seem to have a better understanding of women and usually more respect and empathy. But in my experience I've noticed that having close female relatives or family friends growing up can have the same effect. The most frustrating relationships I've had with men have usually been with guys who didn't have close relationships with girls - for whatever reason, maybe a coincidence. As I got older I generally avoided dating guys who didn't have any females he was close to in a way that wasn't sexual.

D

deleted356736

I think the converse is true, that women who have brothers relate to men better as well. I see it with my teenage children: my son is 19 and my daughter is 17. Not only do they associated with one-another, they also are exposed to each other's friends. My son is very comfortable around girls and my daughter around boys.

RawDog

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was raised by my mom and my sister. My dad was an abusive alcoholic and my brother left home when he could. This "baggage" only made me protective of pretty much every woman I've ever met. I get much worse when it comes to single moms.

Maruli

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes! My boyfriend grew up with three sisters, including his mom. He was extremely tolerant towards all the bullshit I threw at him because he'd seen it all before. He didn't get all grossed out when I told him about woman problems.
I would have to say that dating a man with sisters is a lot nicer.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I have six sisters, all fairly attractive. This is quite difficult for me to answer as it does make me more sensitive in some ways. But the thread seems to be about attraction to the opposite sex, which I can't answer because I was never very interested in women. Who knows, maybe having six sisters and one brother had something to do with it. For instance I wasn't very curious about their bodies because I already knew what was going on there. Helped bathe and change most of them since they were brought home from the maternity ward. (I'm the oldest). But plenty of horny straight guys grew up with sisters for sure.

It made me sensitive to some of the bullshit women have to put up with as I felt protective, but also confused because I didn't know what I was supposed to do about it. My oldest sister was very sexual early on and I knew a lot more about it than my parents. Later, the same sister was a stay at home mom while her husband was in the Army for four years. They lived on base and she used to tell me about all the staring eyes going anywhere on base. And I saw it first hand repeatedly, especially in the military, in spite of strong-arm sensitivity training. (I was in later, opposite coast.) Blatant horn dogging strong enough definitely to be considered aggressive. So I don't look at women that way. Even though I am primarily gay, I know women can't tell, so I don't stare. I avert my eyes and sometimes go out of my way to avoid being misperceived as aggressive or dangerous. For instance out late at night walking, avoid doing anything to startle or incite reflexive fear response. I will change sides of a street and avoid walking close to a woman who is getting in her car, etc.