Do nice guys always finish last?

D

deleted3782

Lots of studies and discussions have stated that nice guys often get the cold shoulder when it comes to women.
Academic studies have reaffirmed that women prefer the bad boy archetype over the nice guy. A 2008 study at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces examined how college students perceived "dark" traits such as thrill-seeking behavior, deceitfulness and narcissism. The study found the female students preferred the males with these traits. CNN
Whether it is the lack of tension in a relationship, or being boring, or even being called a doormat, many woman seem to like the nice guys as friends, but fall head over heels for the bad boys.

But what about the gay world? Do men prefer a challenge as well? Do nice gay guys always finish last too...thrown overboard for the gay bad boys?

What about the preferences of straight men? Do nice girls finish last?

I'm sure we have a few nice guys and girls here...do you feel like you always get the boot when the bad guy/girl comes along? Will the nice folks ever get a break? Have you ever know a good guy/girl go bad?

AZNEWGUY

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
That is strange, I'm SUPER nice and never had issues finding dates before I moved out of NY lol. Yes I was too nice to date certain people, they wouldn't give me the time of day. Then there were girls/guys that were considered "bad" that enjoyed my personality and we equaled each other out very well. My longest relationship was with a nice girl I met and it was great. I was never bored and had a good time. Don't take it to heart when someone tells you "you are too nice" stay what you are and someone worth having will find you. Unfortunately it seems those studies are true, but most people, not all, eventually grow up. You don't need that drama anyway. As for gay men, I NEVER had an issue finding a date, most seem to be looking for nice guys.

Last edited:

B_Jules7

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
As a gross generalisation, I think girls at school go for the jock (sports captain etc), then at university they go through the anti-establishment phase (rock band, dope smoking, long haired hippie types), and then later when they want to settle they go for the stable (ie good job / money) guy who can provide eg lawyers/doctor/banker etc. This is often when the "nice guys" come to their fore...

As for guys taste, probably a similar thing applies.. def you wanna date the nice girl and take her to meet the parents.. the one who will be a good mother etc.. but then we still all wanna fuck the bad girl ocassionally!!

Media
Nice guy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Various studies explicitly try to elucidate the success, or lack thereof, of "nice guys" with women (Jensen-Campbell et. al. 1995,[10] Herold & Milhausen 1998, Urbaniak 2003, McDaniel 2005).

• Jensen-Campbell et. al. (1995) operationalized "niceness" as prosocial behavior, which included agreeableness and altruism. They found that female attraction was a result of an interaction of both dominance and prosocial tendency. They suggest that altruism may be attractive to women when it is perceived as a form of agentic behavior.
  • Herold & Milhausen (1998) asked a sample of undergraduate women "You meet two men. One, John, is nice but somewhat shy. He has not had any sexual experience. The other, Mike, is attractive, a lot of fun, and has had intercourse with 10 women. Both wish to date you. Whom do you choose?" 54% reported a preference for "John," 18% preferred "Mike," and the rest had no preference.
  • Urbaniak & Killman (2003) constructed vignettes of four hypothetical dating show contestants: "Nice Todd" vs. "Neutral Todd" vs. "Jerk Todd" vs. "Michael", who was created to be a control. "Nice Todd" described a "real man" as "in touch with his feelings", kind and attentive, non-macho, and interested in putting his partner's pleasure first. "Neutral Todd" described a "real man" as someone who "knows what he wants and knows how to get it", and who is good to the woman he loves. "Jerk Todd" described a "real man" as someone "knows what he wants and knows how to get it", who keeps everyone else on their toes, and avoids "touch-feely" stuff. "Michael" described a "real man" as relaxed and positive. In two studies, Urbaniak & Kilmann found that women claimed to prefer "Nice Todd" over "Neutral" over "Jerk Todd", relative to "Michael" even at differing levels of physical attractiveness. They also found that for purely sexual relationships, "niceness appeared relatively less influential than physical attractiveness." After acknowledging that women's preference for "niceness" could be inflated by the social desirability bias, especially due to their use of verbal scripts, they conclude that "our overall results did not favor the nice guy stereotype."
  • McDaniel (2005) constructed vignettes of dates with a stereotypical "nice guy" vs. a stereotypical "fun/sexy guy", and attempted to make them both sound positive. Participants reported a greater likelihood of wanting a second date with the "nice guy" rather than with the "fun/sexy guy."
  • A study at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces (2008) showed that nice guys claim to have significantly less sexual partners than bad boys.[11][12]
These studies also cite other research on heterosexual attraction that doesn't mention the "nice guy" term. They interpret various studies on female attraction to various traits in men (e.g. dominance, agreeableness, physical attractiveness, wealth, etc.), and on the sexual success of men with different personality traits, to shed light on the "nice guy" phenomenon.

• Sadalla, Kenrick, & Vershure (1985)[13] found that women were sexually attracted to dominance in men (though dominance did not make men likable to women), and that dominance in women had no effect on men.
  • Bogaert & Fisher (1995)[14] studied the relationships between the personalities of university men and their number of sexual partners. They found a correlation between a man's number of sexual partners, and the traits of sensation-seeking, hypermasculinity, physical attractiveness, and testosterone levels. They also discovered a correlation between maximum monthly number of partners, and the traits of dominance and psychoticism. Bogaert & Fisher suggest that an underlying construct labelled "disinhibition" could be used to explain most of these differences. They suggest that disinhibition would correlate negatively with "agreeableness" and "conscientiousness" from the Big Five personality model.
  • Botwin, Buss & Shackelford (1997)[15] found that women had a higher preference for surgency and dominance in their mates than men did, in a study of dating couples and newlyweds. Shackelford has been criticized for this with some mockingly referring to him as "Todd the Texas sharpshooter fallacy."
as I was just saying to wally, there's been a whole "seduction" industry that has grown up in the last 20 years basically teaching "average frustrated chumps" how to be the sort of manipulative asshole chicks dig. by all accounts it works...if all you want is casual sex with multiple partners.

to answer your question. No. Not always. But they tend to.

Last edited:

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Whether it is the lack of tension in a relationship, or being boring, or even being called a doormat, many woman seem to like the nice guys as friends, but fall head over heels for the bad boys.

Story of my life! I guess writing poetry, drinking vodka and not being into sports just isn't masculine enough for some girls!

pcghabsy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Any such quotes are simply ignorant generalization. There are enough girls who prefer nice guys.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
college students? pft!

sorry but they don't count as women yet.
those innocent greenhorns aren't representative of womankind.
that bad boy shit is something smart women grow out of.

flawed study. obviously.
everyone is stupid when they're young. it's what being young is all about. you go out, enjoy lots of stupid mistakes, get smart and grow up.

D_Blu_Boy

Just Browsing
Media
I consider myself to be 'the nice guy' type and I always feel as though I finish last; relationships and the dating world especially. I seem to get passed over all the time. Could just be because I'm a bottom or whatever, but it seems that when I'm genuinely nice to a guys (remembering his birthday, taking him out of special occasions, buying him presents and being considerate), they never stick around.
It's only when I'm a complete dick to guys that they pay attention to me.
I personally don't have a preference either way. Good guy. Bad boy. Doesn't matter to me, but the 'bad boy' types do seem to have their own special charm at times. Bad boys play head games, they make you work for their attention...dark, moody, brooding and the mysterious act can go a long way at times.

D

deleted3782

I go for nice guys, a lot actually, but then I'm a bad boy I think

...and just how bad are you? :wink:

Don't take it to heart when someone tells you "you are too nice" stay what you are and someone worth having will find you.

In the meantime I can continue my doormat services.

Story of my life! I guess writing poetry, drinking vodka and not being into sports just isn't masculine enough for some girls!

Yes, but you have a huge wang. :cool:

I finish last all the time. Its only polite......

I knew that was coming when I wrote the OP...I just didn't know from whom! Is that the correct use of the word "whom"? Fuck it, I'm not being a nice guy anymore...who the hell cares if its right! Grrrr. :tongue:

that bad boy shit is something smart women grow out of.

I won't disagree...but why the attraction to assholes in the first place? What's it about a bad boy that is so alluring?