Do Not Ask/Do Not Tell

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This topic has caused a lot of media coverage ever since the President's State of the Union a few days ago here in the United States of America.

I think that it is time to respect each and every person in the U. S. Military for who they are and what they do.

That stated, I can agree with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) who stated to Congress yesterday that the time to discard "Do Not Ask/Do Not Tell" has come.

What are your views on this hot topic?

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
That stated, I can agree with the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) who stated to Congress yesterday that the time to discard "Do Not Ask/Do Not Tell" has come.
?

yeah but they also said the pentagon was going to spend the next year studying what the impact would be IF such a policy was implemented. don't expect it to just happen overnight. Obama could make it happen now with an executive order but he's too concilliatory and won't.

captain garbonzo

Experimental Member
Media
No, gays are discriminated enough as it is. The military gets these 18 year old kids with no life experience from all over the country, many with no previous exposure to others of different race, religion. The amount of racism and discrimination is already very prevalent among all groups in the military, not just whites against blacks, etc.. This would only add to it as gays are the most openly discriminated group right now. Even in the Bay Area, the most liberal, gay friendly place in the USA, I see ridicule at gays at times. Mostly younger people with no tolerance for others.

Don't ask/don't tell is a very sound policy to keep the military in somewhat of an order and to protect gays who want to serve the USA. I really don't see any positive that can be gained from being open about it and frankly, your sexual preference is no one elses business. Much as we all want this to be a perfect, harmonious world, some things will never be and we just have to accept that.

Last edited:

D_Ambrosius Cottonballs

Account Disabled
Media
Well, I see it more and more distant than ever before! We are going backwords now. We are going back to catholicism and next would be the inquisition. The "America, land of the free" is just a sophism or, was it ever real? We "think" we are free, but we are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from that!

I definitely agree with Captain "Garbanzo" (Sorry man I couldn't help myself) We would need to change the minds of millions of Americans before something this big could happen. The young gay men would not stand a chance before the immature str8 ones being stirred by the old military homofobics. There would be ridiculs, bullying, blood and deaths like crazy! This is the real America don't forget! Not the ideal america!

Last edited:

dad4you

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hope this is a fading fact of American life. Don't ask, don't tell is just a rag to the homophobes. If anyone in the military has sex forced on them it is rape, just as between heterosexuals, and should be prosecuted. Sexual harassment is the same way and should go all ways, hetero, bi, homo, poly.. doesn't make any difference. It is instilling in the troops a respect for the fellow soldier, regardless of sexual orientation. Lots of straight soldiers have been watched over and saved from death by their gay fellow soldiers.
Does it really make any difference who is watching your back when someone bad is trying to kill you? It is like saying you don't want a life saving blood transfusion when you are white and the other person is not. Stupid.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No, gays are discriminated enough as it is. The military gets these 18 year old kids with no life experience from all over the country, many with no previous exposure to others of different race, religion. The amount of racism and discrimination is already very prevalent among all groups in the military, not just whites against blacks, etc.. This would only add to it as gays are the most openly discriminated group right now. Even in the Bay Area, the most liberal, gay friendly place in the USA, I see ridicule at gays at times. Mostly younger people with no tolerance for others.

Don't ask/don't tell is a very sound policy to keep the military in somewhat of an order and to protect gays who want to serve the USA. I really don't see any positive that can be gained from being open about it and frankly, your sexual preference is no one elses business. Much as we all want this to be a perfect, harmonious world, some things will never be and we just have to accept that.
I'm sure the SIXTEEN THOUSAND proud gay military people who have been discharged under this policy might take issue with your assertion that DADT is sound policy. Nothing positive to be gained???

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

You obviously dont know anyone who has been kicked out of the military for being gay- and you obviously dont know what DADT actually is. It's not just if You dont ask, I wont Tell. It's not simply that.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, I see it more and more distant than ever before! We are going backwords now. We are going back to catholicism and next would be the inquisition. The "America, land of the free" is just a sophism or, was it ever real? We "think" we are free, but we are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from that!

I definitely agree with Captain "Garbanzo" (Sorry man I couldn't help myself) We would need to change the minds of millions of Americans before something this big could happen. The young gay men would not stand a chance before the immature str8 ones being stirred by the old military homofobics. There would be ridiculs, bullying, blood and deaths like crazy! This is the real America don't forget! Not the ideal america!
Actually no we wouldn't. A CNN poll conducted last December showed that 81% of respondents believe that gay people should be able to serve openly in the military.
Obama aide: Ending 'don't ask, don't tell' must wait - CNN.com

glansout

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In the UK the DADT policy was revoked some while back. I was told that the reson they did not like gay servicepeople was that they could be blackmailed by undesirables - i.e., 'you tell me the military secrets or I'll tell them you are a poof'. It seemingly never occurred to anyone that by making it legal to be openly gay it would remove that possibility! It has also stopped homophobic bullying, as of course now anyone who has such remarks made against them can complain to the authorities, so discipline improves, too.

Whingers here go on about how everything British is being Americanized. In this case it seems were are the ones setting the pace!

I have issue some of the opinions stated here. Having an opinion on the matter is all fine and dandy but does not particularly apply unless your planning to join a service or are already enlisted or commissioned. Those are the opinions I want to hear.

Coming from a very, very long line of servicemen I've heard my fair share on the subject from them and a gay friend of mine in OCS for I too and working to get my Butter Bars.

For the most part none of them care whether your gay or straight or any shade between or outside, so long as your willing to die for your fellow servicemen just as they are willing to die for you. In a combat situation race, religion, creed, and least of all sexual preference make a difference when you watch tracers flying at you and concrete explodes around you.

I think you'd be surprised at just how many of the younger generation would actually be accepting instead of discriminate. Sure there will always be a few nut-bags out there to cause trouble but overall there is more compassion now. It's older generation extremists that cause the majority of the problems and they are reaching retirement age anyway and will soon hopefully be replaced with more tolerant individuals.

Last edited by a moderator:

I meant no disrespect to anyone with my post and I apologize if anyone took offense for that was not my intent.

D_Ambrosius Cottonballs

Account Disabled
Media
Sory man, as pretty as it sounds, I do not believe in polls. The media is EXCELLENT at moving the masses. If there is sexual harashment now, there would be then.

I'd love for that to be true. Besides that a 20% is still pretty dangerous! Those are the ones that we really have to watch for!

Actually no we wouldn't. A CNN poll conducted last December showed that 81% of respondents believe that gay people should be able to serve openly in the military.
Obama aide: Ending 'don't ask, don't tell' must wait - CNN.com

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
the repeal of this bigoted policy is LONG overdue, and i applaud President Obama, Secretary Gates and Admiral Mullen for finally beginning the process of evolving our military into an integrated 21st century model that more closely emulates our allies in the UK and Israel than our ideological opponents in Russia and China. not only is the policy little more than a smoke screen for continued institutionalized bigotry, it is also a disservice to the brave men and women fighting for our freedom and security who are trained and lauded to show such virtues as integrity, courage, nobility, pride and honor...yet admonished and dismissed from serving their country for showing those very qualities when it would be so much easier to hide and lie about who they are, sometimes cutting short their life's goals and dreams in the process while also depriving our nation's military of a vast wealth of knowledge, experience, training and skill sets when we need them most. what possible rationale is there for this policy beyond it makes a few people in uniform uncomfortable? well, that same rationale has been used in the last couple of centuries to try and prevent women and blacks from serving as well...and every time, the momentum of progress has overcome the stagnation of ignorance. so it must be in this instance as well.

D_Ambrosius Cottonballs

Account Disabled
Media
Actually, that was a great comment man! And I really, really want to believe that! The scary part is that most of this young men are pretty much HS kids and they have been "warned" about the "evil child molestors" Lets hope the best choice is made!

I have issue some of the opinions stated here. Having an opinion on the matter is all fine and dandy but does not particularly apply unless your planning to join a service or are already enlisted or commissioned. Those are the opinions I want to hear.

Coming from a very, very long line of servicemen I've heard my fair share on the subject from them and a gay friend of mine in OCS for I too and working to get my Butter Bars.

For the most part none of them care whether your gay or straight or any shade between or outside, so long as your willing to die for your fellow servicemen just as they are willing to die for you. In a combat situation race, religion, creed, and least of all sexual preference make a difference when you watch tracers flying at you and concrete explodes around you.

I think you'd be surprised at just how many of the younger generation would actually be accepting instead of discriminate. Sure there will always be a few nut-bags out there to cause trouble but overall there is more compassion now. It's older generation extremists that cause the majority of the problems and they are reaching retirement age anyway and will soon hopefully be replaced with more tolerant individuals.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The amount of racism and discrimination is already very prevalent among all groups in the military, not just whites against blacks, etc.. This would only add to it as gays are the most openly discriminated group right now.

CG is right, anybody that thinks any branch of the military is just one big happy family should go enlist. the only change in bigotry is that now people understand that they can't publicly express their views without negative consequenses to themselves. So, they just keep their discrimination to themselves or seek out others who share their views. and there are plenty of young guys who still use the "F" and "N" words with conviction, and a disproportionate number of them find their way into the military.

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
I'm the only one who wonders why we need a "nice" millitary? Isn't being able to frag at the drop of a hat part of the job description? If one is gay and wants a "nice" job. DO ANYTHING ELSE! If one wants to serve the country, be a cop!

the_reverend

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm the only one who wonders why we need a "nice" millitary? Isn't being able to frag at the drop of a hat part of the job description? If one is gay and wants a "nice" job. DO ANYTHING ELSE! If one wants to serve the country, be a cop!

the flaw in your logic is that being gay doesn't mean you have to be nice. i've known some real bitchy queens in my day who would nuke your ass and slap the shadow of ash left behind. we don't need a nice military...we need a fierce and fabulous one. :cool: