do opposites attract

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by jeweledjem, Jan 26, 2009.

1. jeweledjem

jeweledjem Active Member

Albums:
    In my experience this has been very true. I have some excelent relationships w people I was very different from, none of them have worked out in the end. I want to know stories of people who have everything in common with partners and how that works, also polar opposites and how that works.

2. Amber1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yesss....they do....

probably, u have mostly oppositte qualities but it turns out you have some similar ones too!!Well this has been true in my case!

I think it can work very well short term as it creates a LOT of sexual tension, I'm not sure about longterm....as people who are alike tend to get on well long term.

i think the trick is not to try to end up killing each other!! As opposittes really can drive each other nuts!!!!!

3. billybulge

billybulge New Member

Albums:
    My Gf and I are complete opposites. Seems to work well for us but then again I have had some girls that had similar mind sets......Random I think.

4. goodwood

Gold Member

Albums:
    i think it must be totally random.
    i am attracted to women that are self assured, confident, sanguine and independent
    however, the women that seem to be attracted to me are painfully shy, not outgoing,
    very insecure. i am not sure why that is the sort of woman i attract. having date some of them seriously, the differences in our personalities were too pronounced to have it be a long term thing.

5. D_Petherick_Poundlouder

I think there has be some middle ground, shared trait that is very pronounced in the both of you - meanwhile everything else falls within opposite - for it to really work. That is what I've come to know from my experience.

6. jeweledjem

jeweledjem Active Member

Albums:
    I agree it is random and varies relationship to relationship

7. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

Interesting question...you got me thinking a little.... my successful relationships were with people who are somewhat shy, quiet and introspective. The time I was with another opinionated loudmouth was fun, but after six years we couldnt stand each others company. We are still close friends and I love her, but Im glad we are not married anymore.

8. Silvertip

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think TOTAL opposites can never work. I just can't imagine an in-your-face atheist getting along in a close relationship with a born again Christian. But with some consensus on what each partner feels is truly important, differences on other things can be very good for a relationship and at the very least is educational for both parties.

9. lokican

lokican Member

yes opposites attract but usually they do not last in the long run. There have been some studies on this and couples with the same interests are the ones who make it in the long run.

10. D_Petherick_Poundlouder

yeah. i'd love that. i've yet to meet anyone on that though.

11. Amber1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

They can attract.....

They can be alot of tension because of that.....

although sometimes it can result in a big falling out and a huge stalemate....

Where your like"Fuck you" and there like "well Fuck you too Motherfucker!!"....

and then you cant get it off hold.......

IMHO.

12. cbrmale

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think you need similarities and differences for a relationship to work for the longer term. Someone you can share some things with, and someone you can learn new things from.

13. wulfgar

wulfgar Member

My fiance and I are total opposites in a whole lot of ways. BUT! We agree on most MAJOR topics such as Religion, politics, education, etc. Everything else is fair game.

We both have to consciously pay attention to what we say and where the other person is coming from. It makes for a very rewarding relationship due to the fact that you are two different people with different likes/dislikes. It really mixes it up.

We're getting married in the fall of this year and it has been a fantastic journey so far!

14. Keno123

Gold Member

Okay, now for a different point of view. My wife and I are total opposites. My heritage is Italian (3rd generation US), she’s Japanese (from Japan). I have a college degree, she graduated High School. She refuses to work because she believes that’s a man’s responsibility; her job is the home keeper. I’m the sole income for the family. We’ve been happily married for 31 years. So for all you experts that think opposites don’t attract, try to explain us. Also, there are many differences that I haven't included. The real story is that if you’re committed there’s nothing that can’t work. We have a commitment and a bond that works. It’s not whether you’re the same or opposite; it’s whether you can commit to deal with the hard times. We deal with the hard times and relish in the good times. We met, became friends, got engaged and married within a year. We’re both enjoying our first and only marriage.

Draft saved Draft deleted