Do people still date these days?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Jovial, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    I read this article. Do you think people still date like they used to?

Like a man meets a woman that he is attracted to, so he asks her out, they go on a date, etc. It seems like a lot of people are awkward about this these days and maybe only want to date someone they already know from a group situation. Or is this how it's always been?

Let’s Not Get to Know Each Other Better

Page 2

2. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I think I'd rather have a "regular date", I hate parties and things like that. Nobody ever talks to me except to ask why I don't drink. I guess they want to hear some cool story about how I got alcohol poisoning and almost died, so I vowed to quit. But they don't so they leave and then nobody ends up talking to me. And I never end up talking to anyone else because all the drunk people there (everyone but me) talk about drinking. It's much easier for me to flirt with a cute cashier or something.

3. D_Pubert Stabbingpain

D_Pubert Stabbingpain Account Disabled

Last night I was the only non-drinker at a party held in a restaurant. Those who know me know I do not drink so there was no pressure. Although there were a few people there who I found attractive (outside of my group), they suddenly became un-atractive when I got close enough to see that they had been drinking or if they lit up a cig.

If I don't meet someone in the course of my everyday life or at work, there won't be any "date." I put that in quotes because I think the entire definition has changed since the last time I actually asked someone out to dinner or a movie or a ballgame. Maybe it is just the company I keep or the state of the internet but I get the impression that date=fuck and I am not necessarily looking for that when I ask someone out.

Interested in other responses on this topic.

4. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I still date, in fact, going on a date in an hour.
    However, one thing that has changed is I no longer go out on dates with total strangers. Meaning, I like to get to know someone a bit through hanging out (even if just coffee), texting (which I love!), or getting their IM and chatting a few times becore the actual one on one date. I do this to get a feel for their general sanity and find out if they have a good sense of humor(very important to me) and pesonality.

This is a departure from my behavior 10 years ago, where someone I didn't know well would ask me out on a date after a brief meeting, with the future hingeing on this couple hour encounter - it was a total crap shoot.

I prefer the way I sort of build into a date now. I like being direct, and found this makes it easier for the guy to show he's interested. Some are shy and need to relax/feel comfortable before showing they really like you/are interested in dating you.

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

For me, date doesn't mean fuck.
    If I want to fuck you, I will. If I want to date you, I will. Fucking doesn't necessarily lead to dating and dating doesn't necessarily lead to fucking.

But, I do adore unconventional dates. A baseball game (go blue!), going hiking in a local park, grilling and chilling at one of our homes... I like to relax during the date and talk... not stare at each other in uncomfortable silence at a pricey restaurant.

6. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

If I want to date, it will be for fun. I want to enjoy their company, have a good time, and nothing more expected. Now for sex, leave me a note in the mailbox as I deliver your mail. If I want too, I'll come back after work.

7. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    A restaurant is a little different than someone's house. But I understand, there is rarely any pressure, except when they want me to taste something because "You'll like it". But I never do like it. I agree about the unattractive part fully. Smokers and alcoholics are a huge turn off for me (and drug users). Smoking is just not attractive looking, but the others is I don't like it when someone does something to warp who they are. I like the real person. And in case some people are thinking this, alcohol DOESN'T make you more honest or true with yourself. It destroys your reasoning abilities, so when you are thinking you are being 'honest', you are really just not thinking about what your muddled brain is saying. Only reason I point that out is because I hear that excuse all the time.

8. D_Katherine Clitburn

D_Katherine Clitburn Account Disabled

I love dating-being out, doing something fun, saying 'goodnight' when the evening ends.

There is a diff between a date and a fuck, so I am clear about what I want, that way nobody is confused.

I think men date-they just only date women that they really like or respect. Everyone else can just line up for a taste and go on to the next.

9. snottybooger

snottybooger New Member

i hate hook ups. whats the fun in that? i got to feel the chemistry and work my way to climax. sex starts before foreplay!

10. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Funny coincidence: I tore this article out of the newspaper when I first saw it last week, and just before logging into this site I re-read the torn-out page and filed it away. I have to say that the article made fascinating and to me utterly disheartening reading. The only consolation I can find is that I am not a young person and don't date, or perhaps I should say try to date, anyone in the age bracket of the writer.

"Hook up" — the very phrase made my blood run cold the first time I heard someone use it: it implies that, with regard to their sexuality, human beings are like pieces of machinery, made of metal, devoid of sense and feeling, that can be momentarily hooked together and unhooked — though it is hard to say for what purpose, as the whole business seems so utterly devoid of joy and passion.

I hope that this writer's view of things is atypical. If it is at all representative, then the generation of young people now entering adulthood has attained the sexual conditions of Huxley's "Brave New World."

11. B_TruLadyPleaser

B_TruLadyPleaser New Member

yea i go out to dinner n movies wit chicks from time 2 time other times we jus go back 2 my place or somethin.... i usually talk 2 every hot girl i see lol u keep swingin u gonna connect from time 2 time :wink:

12. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Hook up" is a more reflective phrase of todays digital expression. Maybe sex will soon be called "logging on."

13. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    "Oh baby, your ethernet port is SOO tight."

14. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

No "dates" for me unless it's with other couples, then it's fun to just go dancing and partying. It's cool to get together with a girl & have coffee though.

15. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    When I was single I dated. Most of my dates ended with hooking up. But I went on real dates, usually rotating three or four dudes. I went out to dinners, movies, plays, concerts, I was taken to Philly, L.A., the beach, museums, amusement parks, zoos, aquariums, you name it. Real dates. I just usually fucked the guys after, even if it was the first date. I like sex, and I was dating those guys mostly to make sure that I never got too backed up. Plus, who doesn't want to be able to summon the company of a hot, funny, smart, resourceful dude at any given time?

16. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

:eek: haha

17. Principessa

Gold Member

And where are these men who know how to respect a woman found? If this and other articles are to be believed, so many women are willing to spread their legs for every Tom, Dick, or Harry that text messages or e-mails them a funny joke.

18. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

i haven't dated in a while... not because i don't want to, but because it doesn't fit into my lifestyle and my schedule at the moment. sure it would be nice, but i'm in no hurry. when i do date though, i still do the traditional one-on-one thing that ends with a friendly goodbye and no intention of hooking up.

19. tiggerpoo

Gold Member

Sure, people still date. It's the begining of getting-to-know-you. If it the relationship seems promising it moves on to better things. If not, it stops.

20. nicelycocked

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    According to my recent experiences, NO people do not date! And believe me I am trying (probably too hard) to find the right guy. I find that the guys I am attracted to are either not into me, are 100% passive, or complete up-their-own ass shit heads. On the other hand, the guys who come on to me are either, very young (what the hell am I going to talk to a 22 year old about!) are bears (hate the hairy bear fashion thats going off at the minute) WAY out of shape, or just somthing I wouldnt throw peanuts at.

But the search goes on. I know you are out there, you cant hide forever ;-)

Draft saved Draft deleted