Do Politically Liberal Gym Rats Exist?

GS_PL

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I tested the gym waters in an area I was new to, and while there were slight differences in the equipment, the ambiance at all of them were identical - Dem / Lib hate chit-chat from EVERYONE, from the free weights to the yoga classes. This was consistent for a few days at all four health clubs, two chains and two independents.

I bought a home gym, which is working wonders for me. I am not one to believe Trump is God like the entire population here does, so I don't see finding a workout buddy happening ever here, at least in my lifetime.

Reactions: Goldengirls1991

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Liberal gym rat here. When my gym was open, I didn't notice a lot of nonsense like that because the gym was owned by an a person of color and the members were really diverse, all races and ethnicities worked out there, and a solid amount of women, so I think that makes a huge difference.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I tested the gym waters in an area I was new to, and while there were slight differences in the equipment, the ambiance at all of them were identical - Dem / Lib hate chit-chat from EVERYONE, from the free weights to the yoga classes. This was consistent for a few days at all four health clubs, two chains and two independents.

I bought a home gym, which is working wonders for me. I am not one to believe Trump is God like the entire population here does, so I don't see finding a workout buddy happening ever here, at least in my lifetime.

Where do you live? I suspect much depends on the overall political makeup of your state.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Although I'm both a liberal and could be considered a hardcore gym goer, I have no idea the beliefs or affiliations of anyone else at my gym and could really care less. Since I work-out with the wife, I really don't speak to anyone else and am there just to get in my workout and get out and I've never paid attention to anyone else's conversations. The closet I've come to any such talk is the one woman my wife sometimes does chat with (the wife is more outgoing and less work-out focused then me) and they have discussed how incompetent Trump and our governor have been on handling the virus; although that does not necessary mean the other person would be considered "liberal" on anything else.

I guess it comes down to how important working-out at the gym is to you versus just not engaging in conversation or overlooking others' different views. If you are just looking for someone compatible to work-out with I would suggest you only worry about how much you can get along with them in that regard and make it clear to them you are there to work-out and not discuss anything but working out. As an example, although I am a liberal on almost every issue the one big cross-over is I am also a firearms enthusiast and big on gun rights. As a result, there is not a lot of liberal love within that community and I have the listen to a lot of hate and misinformation about the Left from those I've encountered at the range or gunshows. I deal with it by ignoring it and sticking to the shared interest at hand. By doing this I've found many that while I think are wrong in their beliefs, are never the less fairly good people and have gave me good information and advice as far as the one area we do share interest.

So if you only feel comfortable hanging-out with those who share most of the same beliefs as you and can't find anyone like that then you always have the option of sticking with your home set-up, especially since it seems to be working well for you so far. But if the gym is important I would suggest you try to look beyond other's differences and concentrate on what you all do like (like working-out) and you may be surprised to find out that despite their views, they can be a source of wealth in achieving your goals.

I only wish we had the option of a good home work-out; not due to your reasons, but just because we feel the gym is becoming a very unsafe place to be with the rising numbers and most of the customers there choosing not to use masks.

gallan1

Sexy Member
Media
Where are you located? I'm very liberal but live in a very conservative area and never hear this talk. One time some meathead was in the locker room and started screaming about libtards and climate change and everyone either ignored him or told him to shut up. I go to a pretty hardcore gym in Kansas City and most everyone there is to the left. Heck...the owners even have the Pride flag on display along with the American flag.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I grew up in one of the generally more liberal parts of New York and currently live in Connecticut - a very liberal state. As for myself, I registered Republican for my very first election (Nixon's second term) and am still a registered Republican, though I really need to do something about that because I am disgusted by the direction the party has taken both in the last ten years and absolutely in the past 4 years. I've voted for the Republican candidate in every presidential election up to Obama's second term when I couldn't bring myself to vote for Romney and I most certainly did not vote for Mr. Trump.

My point - bear with me, I'm getting to it.

I was never a heavy FB user, but posted occasionally to a private forum for people from my home town, in sections devoted to my major interest in Italy and things Italian, and also to connect with cousins and even a few siblings. Like many people, when Trump won I posted a few comments on Facebook.

I quickly learned that two of my older siblings were die-hard Trump supporters and many of my cousins were as well. I found this incredibly disturbing and had some pretty public arguments with them on FB, especially with one brother in particular. For the first two year's of Trumps administration I kept getting sucked into these arguments - I guess I am one of those who kept thinking, if I just find the right words, the right phrasing, I'll make them see how wrong they are. My brother kept posting pro-Trump/liberal bashing memes (and still does, to this day) and it would make me effing crazy. I finally realized that the only real answer was to step back from it all; I barely open FB any longer, avoid my brother's posts in particular, and no longer post anything of my own.

I know, I'm getting to it.

So, at my gym pre-election several of the guys that I would routinely chat with in the locker room or on the floor (we were all on similar schedules) were clearly pro-Trump. I'm talking older guys, like myself, let's say early 50's to late 60's. I would let them know that I disagreed as respectfully as I could, but, to be honest, it wasn't easy if it meant that my only fallback position was to support Hillary Clinton. These guys weren't going to buy into that at all.

After the election, things just got worse and, rather than get drawn into serious arguments, I learned to just avoid these conversations entirely. Just like with Facebook, I have "signed off".

Okay, so finally, my point.

I think there are a lot of Trump-hating Republicans and "liberals" in my gym, on Facebook, and out there in my daily life; in fact polls strongly support this view. But, I also think that - like myself - most of them have grown weary of the arguments and just don't bother anymore. So, sure, maybe there are more than a few vocal Trump supporters in your gym. But, I'll bet that there are even more liberals there who have simply learned to just keep quiet and avoid the assholes when possible and ignore them when necessary.

Reactions: sd425 and DSF140

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unless someone struts around wearing a tank top with their political opinion on it, I would never know.
@Snarky_succubus and I aren't there for a bunch of pointless chitchat.
We're there to workout.
If somebody is investing their gym time into political discussion, no matter what your point of view,I don't have time for you.

But, the same goes for us when we're doing anything else in public.
Death penalty, abortion, religion, politics....
You're not going to change my mind.
I'm not going to change yours.
Sitting around & bitching about things is idiotic.
So, I'm not likely to engage you while you waste your time and effort & ramp up your stress and cortisol levels, which will most likely shorten your life.
I'll pass, thanks.

Wanna work in a set with us? Cool.
Wanna give me your idiotic opinion on politics? Move along.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

If I roll my eyes any harder I might sprain one. Short answer “yes”. They exist. I know a ton of them. Bigger question - why do you even fucking care? Politics have no place in a gym. If you’re there to talk politics you’re there for the wrong reason. To quote the great C.T. Fletcher - “We’re all the same under the bar”. 14F0894B-0D79-41EE-9766-78792FDDC23D.jpeg

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

P.S. if you turn your headphones up loud enough you can’t hear a goddamn thing anyone says anyway. Head down, music up, world off.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was one of those liberal gym rats until my gym closed because of the pandemic. I'm in the DC suburbs so politics is ALWAYS in the air. Most of the people at my gym were either un-caring about politics or nearly as liberal as me. I have also visited gyms on Cape Cod and in Wilmington, NC that seemed to have quite liberal patrons.

I belonged to an on-line fitness forum for about 12 years that was very mixed on political views but we usually had civil discussions. I only left that forum because one guy kept labeling every post of mine as "so ghey".

Reactions: rjgrtx and CUBE

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
The liberal gym rats are staying home right now because they don't think covid-19 is a hoax.
but only the morbidly obese people are the ones getting sick. everytime they show who died from it it's normally a fat person.. or skinny fat person that 64% that end up in the hospital are fat people..

morbidly obese are the ones that should be worried about ccp virus not normal person

GoingOnABoeing

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Why not just put on some headphones? Then you won't have to hear anyone talking. I would also suggest not being prejudiced toward people just because of politics, religion, etc. Believe it or not most people are good and you miss out on meeting some great ones when you walk around with a preconceived bias. People need to stop making politics their identity. It's ruining the world.