Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I was wondering the same. It never really hit me until this one time, this gym rat that I've been eyeing for a couple months, I overheard him speaking to his friend about how much he hates Trump and for some reason I was so turned on by that.

sd425

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Agreed. In the past 4 years, whether I've been at a gym in Los Angeles or in rural, conservative America, the loudest political conversations have been pro-Trump. Ironic, given that his base views themselves as the "silent majority."

I think there are a lot of Trump-hating Republicans and "liberals" in my gym, on Facebook, and out there in my daily life; in fact polls strongly support this view. But, I also think that - like myself - most of them have grown weary of the arguments and just don't bother anymore. So, sure, maybe there are more than a few vocal Trump supporters in your gym. But, I'll bet that there are even more liberals there who have simply learned to just keep quiet and avoid the assholes when possible and ignore them when necessary.

Reactions: ukanubatrust

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I’m always astonished at the number of a) televisions in some workout spaces, and b) the number of them tuned to Fox News.
I might work a bit harder to get out of there, but it’s harder to psych myself up to go at all.

A gym is a business. Why alienate a segment of people?

GoingOnABoeing

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I’m always astonished at the number of a) televisions in some workout spaces, and b) the number of them tuned to Fox News.
I might work a bit harder to get out of there, but it’s harder to psych myself up to go at all.

Why would anyone care? I don't watch network news because I don't need to be told how to think or how I should feel about an issue. I'll decide that for myself. And you can't walk through any airport without CNN on the screens. But again, who cares? I don't feel alienated at all. If people stopped watching these news channels and their sensationalist coverage we would all be better off.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Why would anyone care? I don't watch network news because I don't need to be told how to think or how I should feel about an issue. I'll decide that for myself. And you can't walk through any airport without CNN on the screens. But again, who cares? I don't feel alienated at all. If people stopped watching these news channels and their sensationalist coverage we would all be better off.
It’s a common complaint in my gym. Mainly treadmill and elliptical users, because they can’t turn away.

Reactions: g0nz0

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
You mean people in the gym are actually talking abou politics? All we ever talk about is how hot the weather girls are on the local news channels. That was pre pandemic now with social distancing and my gym finally open 24 hours there are only 4 or 5 people in the gym when I get there in the mornings. No chit chat just workout.

I'm friendly with everyone unless they try to force their political views on me.

Reactions: Tight_End_SC

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
You mean people in the gym are actually talking abou politics? All we ever talk about is how hot the weather girls are on the local news channels. That was pre pandemic now with social distancing and my gym finally open 24 hours there are only 4 or 5 people in the gym when I get there in the mornings. No chit chat just workout.

I'm friendly with everyone unless they try to force their political views on me.

not every male in a gym is a dick making sexist/demeaning comments.
Women go to gyms.
People of all ages go to gyms.

yep, a few in mine talk politics. A few are in government or journalism, some just are happy to talk to people at all.
It is an education, for sure.

Reactions: deleted5791141
D

deleted972421

The last sentence makes a whole lotta sense.

Reactions: rjgrtx

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I tested the gym waters in an area I was new to, and while there were slight differences in the equipment, the ambiance at all of them were identical - Dem / Lib hate chit-chat from EVERYONE, from the free weights to the yoga classes. This was consistent for a few days at all four health clubs, two chains and two independents.

I bought a home gym, which is working wonders for me. I am not one to believe Trump is God like the entire population here does, so I don't see finding a workout buddy happening ever here, at least in my lifetime.
In my area it is about 50/50. No bodys found dead in the locker room yet, but Nov 3 is still a ways off. NC is a Bible belt state that is changing fast. For me it a good change, and in the Research Triangle it is even better. Educated people, good mix and I see very little racial issues. Many houses have Black Lives Matter signs, protest are mixed racially with no crime. Not bad for NC.

Reactions: 51arledge

GoingOnABoeing

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
No wonder we are such a mess as a country. It seems most of you only want to be around carbon copies of yourselves. At least as far as how you are allowed to think. I can't be the only one who doesn't get offended if someone thinks differently than me. Right? I learned a long time ago to start asking myself "does it matter?" if I found myself getting annoyed. Some of you should try that. Getting worked up over what strangers are discussing or what's on a TV screen isn't healthy.

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
No wonder we are such a mess as a country. It seems most of you only want to be around carbon copies of yourselves. At least as far as how you are allowed to think. I can't be the only one who doesn't get offended if someone thinks differently than me. Right? I learned a long time ago to start asking myself "does it matter?" if I found myself getting annoyed. Some of you should try that. Getting worked up over what strangers are discussing or what's on a TV screen isn't healthy.
I don't agree. In my area the decisive BS from the White House is seen as BS. I do see some groups being ostracized but think it is more them then their more liberal neighbors. Racist groups and the far right religious groups have history of avoiding people with different views.
Good example in our area is a racial attack on a house in Durham. Spray paint symbols both fascist or racist statements on house. This weekend a large group of neighbors are cleaning the house, removing the fascist symbols and welcoming their new neighbors. The divisive talk is doing the opposite. We are coming together.

Cum_is_Great

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ir9nically
Ironically, if they want to be around carbon copies of themselves, that's a valid way of thinking which is different from yours. And it would be wrong of me to say you are "annoyed" or "worked up" over this, or offended, yet you perceive them as such.

What I'm trying to say is, even mentioning this to them shows how on some level it caught your attention and you felt the need to mention how they should think like you: not care how others think. Which is contradictory in itself. Lol

Reactions: MisterB

GoingOnABoeing

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Ir9nically

Ironically, if they want to be around carbon copies of themselves, that's a valid way of thinking which is different from yours. And it would be wrong of me to say you are "annoyed" or "worked up" over this, or offended, yet you perceive them as such.

What I'm trying to say is, even mentioning this to them shows how on some level it caught your attention and you felt the need to mention how they should think like you: not care how others think. Which is contradictory in itself. Lol

I was making an observation and recommendation. I didn't make any demands like some here. I just realize that most everyone is set in how they view certain things. I can get mad and dwell on our differences or I can be happy and focus on what we have in common. That's all.

Reactions: Plasticroad1

MuscledHorse

Superior Member
Media
Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Generally liberal gym rat here. I don't get into politics in the gym as I'm there to lift. People chit chatting around me will get moved along, especially if they are socializing over equipment I need to get my workout done. This is a gym, not a bar. I live in the Bible Belt area of the USA but it's obvious to those around me by my actions that I am not a shrinking violet conservative church goes that's embarrassed about his body or his libido. You can tell I have a cock showing in my gym shorts, I have a tattoo of a centaur in heat on my shoulder (delt) piece, and one that is the Chinese symbol for "Lust" in the top center of my back, with the translation below it. I am visibly naked in the locker room and in a speedo style suit in the wet areas. I live by my example when it comes to my body and my cock. As for the other stuff, I'm generally not engaged to talk about politics, though with my healthcare background I have had to weigh in on the mask and cornavirus issues. And then yes, the Republicans get trounced and the Democrats get criticized. (I'm an independent, so no problems calling out either party).

jockbator

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I tested the gym waters in an area I was new to, and while there were slight differences in the equipment, the ambiance at all of them were identical - Dem / Lib hate chit-chat from EVERYONE, from the free weights to the yoga classes. This was consistent for a few days at all four health clubs, two chains and two independents.

I bought a home gym, which is working wonders for me. I am not one to believe Trump is God like the entire population here does, so I don't see finding a workout buddy happening ever here, at least in my lifetime.

You must be in the wrong city. The answer is yes, they do.

Reactions: DSF140

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was making an observation and recommendation. I didn't make any demands like some here. I just realize that most everyone is set in how they view certain things. I can get mad and dwell on our differences or I can be happy and focus on what we have in common. That's all.

I think that's all well in good, but for many of us we don't have that privilege, especially if you are a person of color (like me) or a member of the LGBTQ community, like many ppl on this site are.

The matter of my existence is not a mere political disagreement.

Reactions: MisterB and DSF140

GoingOnABoeing

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think that's all well in good, but for many of us we don't have that privilege, especially if you are a person of color (like me) or a member of the LGBTQ community, like many ppl on this site are.

The matter of my existence is not a mere political disagreement.

Well that's horrible if people are discriminating against you or anyone else at the gym and I agree that there should be no tolerance of that. But overhearing a conversation you simply don't agree with or want to hear doesn't exactly qualify. That's just part of life. And as I said, I have my headphones at the gym so people could be calling me every name in the book and I'd be none the wiser.

Reactions: deleted1334580