Do religious people have the right to be homophobic?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Or frankly illegal in any other discrimantory way?

This is becoming one of the big battlegrounds of our time. You have a book which you think gives you the right to practices that are now against the law. Am I infringing your rights in believing this book below the considered democratic opinion of my jurisdiction?

Some of you won't like my answer to this question, but your religion is ephemeral. Religions come and go. Should I give respect to Mithras, to Zeus, Jupiter and the Egyptian one? Of course not, because they are wrong and you are right. :rolleyes:

2. B_Mister Buildington

Everyone has the right to feel and believe whatever they want.

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Blah blah blah ..... and then acting upon it?

Please catch up.

4. B_Mister Buildington

Maybe you should learn to phrase your questions better.

But yes. Religious people and everyone else have the right to behave in a homophobic way. If their actions are illegal, they have committed a crime and should be punished, as with all crimes.

Of course, some laws run contrary to our natural rights as men.

#4 B_Mister Buildington, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  5. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

ofcourse they dont have the right to be homophobic. Satan tells me to kill Christians. Do i have the right to my beliefs?

6. nudeyorker

Gold Member

:popcorn:

7. B_Mister Buildington

Lemon, of course you have the right to your belief. What, should we police peoples' thoughts?

8. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

So i can go to kill christians? I mean, if they cna practice their homophobia....

9. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Nope. Nobodies god has the right to compell them to discriminate against me, violating national law in the process.

10. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Some more kindling to add to this fire....

BBC News - Grayling suggests B&Bs should be able to bar gay guests

I would re-phrase the question and ask..... do one persons beliefs, religious or not, have the right to encroach on another persons beliefs / way of life?..... Most deffo NOT!

Respect for our fellow mans beliefs / rights is an absolute must.

Myself, I class myself as strait, but I have many gay / bi friends, and we fully understand and respect each other's lives.

Act's committed in the name of god / supreme being, are wrong, offensive, and disrespectful, full stop.

So, what do I personally think, and what would I do, if I was in a situ like the one in the link?..... Because I know who I am, and are comfortable with myself, and having many gay / bi friends, I would not have a problem at all, and would only ask that guests are respectful to others whilst staying.

From a religious aspect..... think the owners was right to refuse the two gent's stay, though it could have been handled better, with much more advance notice, and if you read the original story, you will see the owners make best efforts to try and be as non-offensive as possible, also recognising that everyone has a right to their own way of life, and beliefs.

Now I wish that ALL religious people could be as flexible and as respectful as that.

#10 B_stanmarsh14, Apr 4, 2010
  11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

12. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Hmmmm, risky subject, but my answer is no, they have no right to be homophobic. I admire people who follow a religion, but I don't admire the ones who take the words written in the books (bible, koran, ...) too litterally. There is more meaning behind the words written in those books, but regretfully many can't see that. And that is a shame, because they don't live at the standards either written in the book if you want to take it litterally...

#12 D_Jared Padalicki, Apr 4, 2010
  13. B_Mister Buildington

If they break the law they should be punished under the law. If you commit a hate crime (I'm assuming you're in the USA, where it is considered a hate crime to commit violence on someone for their religion) you should be punished accordingly.

The question is so ambiguously asked. Is OP asking whether people of certain religions should get to break the law without consequence? "Hell no" would be my answer.

14. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Fixed that for ya :smile:.

15. B_Mister Buildington

You could be seen as contradicting yourself here. I am not Jewish but live in a heavily orthodox jewish area. They have different ways of behaving, and they commit many acts in the name of God. I respect their beliefs, and they have so far been respectful of the fact that I do not follow their rules, even if they find it shocking at times.

LPSG has a definite anti-religious bias, but that's probably the internet at large.

16. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

True. It's not an easy subject to deal with and put in to words, and is two-fold.....

On one side, you see the right of the man on the street, to go about his business, without hindrance or let....

Other side of the coin, you see the right of a person to follow their beliefs.

Problem is, when BOTH sides do not respect the rights of the other, and there lies the problem.

Same could be said with a particular subject here; circumcision, and as most will know, just how hot of a topic that is here, and the absolute disrespect both sides of the argument have to each other.

17. B_lrgeggs

B_lrgeggs New Member

While I am very glad we do not live in a theocracy. I take your post as a slur on religious people. Especially in today's society. I find most religious people very compassionate. While I am sure religious trends come and go. The Ten commandments have been around for quite sometime. I am not sure what the take on homosexuality is on the Eastern Religions.
    But I am pretty much a product of Western Culture...(Especially Hollywood:biggrin1: )

18. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Like I said in my post previous..... It's a subject that is difficult to deal with, and to word correctly, causing the minimum of offence as possible, noting the two extremes they represent.

The important thing is, we make best efforts wherever possible, to respect each others rights and beliefs.

AKA chalk and cheese.

19. B_lrgeggs

B_lrgeggs New Member

The important thing is, we make best efforts wherever possible, to respect each others rights and beliefs.

I could not agree with you more Perv...but what does the gay person do who grows up in a religious community where he/she has to hide their gay feelings. This might take us back to the original post. I just think that religious people here are painted as
    uncompassionate...I don't think thats true. I think this can be a true test of faith. But its just as hard on the parent as it is on the child. I have feelings and compassion for both parties.

20. Rugbypup

Gold Member

Albums:
    You have the right to believe as you wish, undoubtedly.

Whether what you believe is right, is another matter entirely.

For religions that preach tolerance, love and compassion, it never ceases to amaze me just how many exceptions to these divine laws there actually are.

Love thy neighbors but stone the queer.
    An eye for an eye but those without sin cast the first stone.
    The meek shall inherit the earth though the pursuit of money is the root of all evil.

I believe in the divine, in a higher power, in God.

I have far less faith in man and his interpretation of what that means.

Draft saved Draft deleted