Longwood8

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Verification
View
Adding my two cents in here for the debate and there may be guys in my age range (20s) and guys in their 30s who wear them, the general consensus growing up was that jock straps are an old man thing and a gay thing to wear.

My dad had one from his youth and still had it when I played soccer and he wanted me to wear it and I declined. I liked going free when I played, but also didn't want to be seen wearing one. Compression shorts were what most guys I knew/know wear if wanting to keep things in place and hidden.

swimmerguydfw

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yeah...I'm gay...and older. But that really has nothing to do with it. I wear it for function, not form...and not to impress anyone at the gym. I've tried countless brands of compression shorts...and none of them support me as well as a jock for sports other than swimming. I am just totally amazed that something so basic has now become a fashion statement, or a dividing line between older/younger.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Those of us of a certain age recall the mandatory requirement to wear a jock during gym class. We even had to stand in a line up holding out one of the straps from under our shorts for the teacher to see. You would be sent back to change or sent to the office. I still chuckle about grown ass adults complaining about their "forced mandates and freedom" of today! :D

D

deleted14740151

Those of us of a certain age recall the mandatory requirement to wear a jock during gym class. We even had to stand in a line up holding out one of the straps from under our shorts for the teacher to see. You would be sent back to change or sent to the office. I still chuckle about grown ass adults complaining about their "forced mandates and freedom" of today! :D
I remember that too!

swimmerguydfw

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yup!

Reactions: WilliamG
D

deleted15347531

Straight guy here, and yeah we do wear jocks but in my experience it's mainly just for sports, I've never known another straight dude wear them as everyday underwear. I played quite a lot of soccer and baseball through high school and most of the guys wore either a jockstrap or compression shorts (especially for baseball, easiest way to hold the cup in place). They're definitely more common in Australia than the UK though, since I moved here last year I haven't seen any dudes wear them.

AllDixNeedLuv69

Superior Member
Media
Huntington (West Virginia, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I’m straight (curious) wondering if straight guys wear jock wraps?

I’m wanting to start the gym soon but I feel a jockstrap (Nike one looks good) would be better support for me while I work out? Do you guys agree? And other straight guys do you think the same or do you already wear them?

is anyone in London up for being a gym buddy too!? I have no clue what to do when it comes to the gym - the weights area I never step foot in as it’s too intimidating to go there when I do t know what I’m doing ahha

I’m up for a good steam/sauna and shower in the nude after a good workout with a buddy

Male, 20, London
jock straps are worn for few reasons --the main one is to secure your penis and balls in a orderly fashion---if wearing regular underwear during sports and training---run with regular briefs or boxers then wear jockstrap---you will see ho w much better your balls feel in one area instead ofbouncing around

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Ever seen an NFL game? Those guys are wearing jocks.

Also, fetish/fetish wear can be very subjective along with highly personalized. On that basis your argument is moot.

Personally, I have zero interest in football (American football), but I did watch most of this year's Superbowl.

In fact, I watched very carefully and with great focus.

I saw *no sign whatsoever* that any player was wearing a jock strap.

Reactions: dummythicc
D

deleted13728981

I played baseball in high school and everyone wore compression shorts. Some styles had a pocket that would hold the cup. I have never owned a jock strap. That was about 15 years ago to give perspective.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I played baseball in high school and everyone wore compression shorts. Some styles had a pocket that would hold the cup. I have never owned a jock strap. That was about 15 years ago to give perspective.
The trouble is that compression shorts' pockets fail to do the crucial thing with a cup: they need to have some kind of tension from the bottom of the cup back thru the legs and up. That is, they need straps (like a. jockstrap) that pull the cup flush against your skin and UNDER Your balls. most comp shorts merely hold a cup, but they don't press against your body, so your balls can hang below the point of the cup, which, er, so to speak, defeats the Whole point of a cup. Comp shorts suck. No ball support.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Personally, I have zero interest in football (American football), but I did watch most of this year's Superbowl.

In fact, I watched very carefully and with great focus.

I saw *no sign whatsoever* that any player was wearing a jock strap.
And that's a pity. I've seen some fairly recent American football pics where you can detect a jock, but most guys eschew them (and some guys CHEW them!)

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When did a jock strap become gay? I wear one. Married 37 years with two grown boys married with families! I cannot fathom this kind of stupidity! When did they become gay?
They became "gay" as far back as the 70's, and if you look at really old vintage pics, you'll see the equivalent of jockstraps more than a century back.
As it became safer to be gay, the jockstrap became a fetish item: it evoked images of "manliness": strength, muscles, cocks and balls pouched up an emphasized so you couldn't take your eyes off them, locker room "guys" chatter, competitive spirit (like a warrior), etc.
I think it's disingenuous to expres surprised that jocks are "gay," even tho I deplore that attitude. What makes jocks sexiest to me is when the dude thinks of them as athletic supporters. That is, he just pulls it on to protect his cock and balls and the last thing he's doing is "preening" for other guys, which is what "fashion jocks" try to do, which is why I hate them. The lack of self-consciousness is what makes them hot.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The trouble is that compression shorts' pockets fail to do the crucial thing with a cup: they need to have some kind of tension from the bottom of the cup back thru the legs and up. That is, they need straps (like a. jockstrap) that pull the cup flush against your skin and UNDER Your balls. most comp shorts merely hold a cup, but they don't press against your body, so your balls can hang below the point of the cup, which, er, so to speak, defeats the Whole point of a cup. Comp shorts suck. No ball support.

This is silly.

The cup, when used, is not about support, it is about impact protection.

And, properly fitting compression shorts provide a hell of a lot more support than does a jock strap.

Reactions: deleted13728981

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is silly.

The cup, when used, is not about support, it is about impact protection.

And, properly fitting compression shorts provide a hell of a lot more support than does a jock strap.
Nonsense. While a cup's primary purpose is to protect, it can't do it properly unless the pouch or pocket has some kind of strap that actually PULLS the cup toward the body. This is best accomplished in my experience with a plain ol' jockstrap put on over whatever undergear you have, effectively creating a double layer (see nutty buddy). As for compression shorts providing support, forget it. All they do is push your balls down. A real jockstrap pouches and supports your balls, and that, incidentally, is why they work with cup combo's: the jock pouch holds your balls so they can fit in the cup safely.

Autobear1976

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Nonsense. While a cup's primary purpose is to protect, it can't do it properly unless the pouch or pocket has some kind of strap that actually PULLS the cup toward the body. This is best accomplished in my experience with a plain ol' jockstrap put on over whatever undergear you have, effectively creating a double layer (see nutty buddy). As for compression shorts providing support, forget it. All they do is push your balls down. A real jockstrap pouches and supports your balls, and that, incidentally, is why they work with cup combo's: the jock pouch holds your balls so they can fit in the cup safely.
Yes, I have both, and for hard work nothing beats an old fashioned jockstrap. Compression shorts don't even come close to offering the same lifting support. They just smash your nuts into your pubis.... I suppose that feels like support to some, but not if you're well endowed.