Do Straight Men Know When Another Man is Good Looking?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by nathanpastel, Jul 21, 2008.

1. nathanpastel

nathanpastel New Member

I had a conversation with a couple of straight men and they were all adamant that they had no idea if another guy was cute or not.

What do you think?

You think they check other men out and know if the other guy is good looking or not?

#1 nathanpastel, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. B_Hung Jon

B_Hung Jon New Member

Some guys are aware of good looks and others aren't. Most straight guys don't pay attention to other guys much. They're too busy checking out the girls.

3. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

If we check out other guys, it's to size-up the competition. We don't really look at it in terms of "cute" or "attractive". It's more like, "yeah I could kick his ass".

4. Kassokilleri2ff

No idea. I have tried to figure it out with girls. I'll be like "that guy is ugly" Girl: omg no! hes cute! Uhh, ok, umm then that guy is good looking "eww no hes ugly!"

All I know, or thought I knew, is that women like abs and a square jawline. But I still fail to recognize whats good looking and whats not regardless lol. I just can't tell. I see hot girls with guys all the time, and I always wonder why she is with that guy....but then again, I ALWAYS wonder because pretty much all guys look ugly to me lolz.

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I dont' buy it. A straight guy doesn't know that Brad Pitt is cute and that Danny Devito is not?

They know if a guy is cute the same way a gay man knows when a girl is hot.

They are just too insecure in their masculinity to admit it.

6. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

The problem lies in the wording. We don't say cute. We might say handsome or not ugly or attractive but never cute. Really it's just semantics.

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

As a gay man I sometimes can't understand what straight women find attractive in some men - Leonardo DiCaprio? Tom Cruise? Sting? Billy Currington? What's the attraction?

8. nathanpastel

nathanpastel New Member

Good point.

It's funny you mention Brad Pitt because he seems synoymous with good looking, huh?

I think there was a rap song that mentioned him too, but can't recall the title.

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Just cause a guy is not your type does not mean that you can't understand how they are handsome..

Leo- very handsome.
    Tom - Very handsome, a jerk and borderline crazy
    Sting-. so so, somewhat handsome, but talented
    Billy I never heard of.

10. nathanpastel

nathanpastel New Member

Should I edit my question to read attractive rather than cute?

Thanks for the reply, btw.

11. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    To be honest, in my experience with gay men, they usually can't tell when a woman is "cute" or "hot" or "not", either. They can tell that a Victoria's Secret model is hot, but then they'll say Cher is hot too. No, no she's not.

And as for myself, I can tell that Brad Pitt is cute and Danny DeVito is not, but I have no idea about a lot of the people in between those two extremes. It's got nothing to do with "insecurity"--I just can't tell.

So no, 100% straight men probably don't know when another man is good looking a lot of the time, just like 100% gay men probably don't know when a woman is.

12. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I've heard mostly on radio shows (ugly guys) saying that they do not know is a guy is handsome or not.

13. D_Geffarde Phartsmeller

Your original post is fine. I think it'll prove more debatable

14. morsecode

morsecode New Member

I generally know when a man is handsome enough (note how I didn't say cute or attractive), but I usually use the acknowledgment to fucking hate the guy...however, I got issues so you can disregard my opinion.

15. D_Percival Puddleford Pukehorn

Baby u don't need to size up the competition. you could bitch-slap anyone with that cock of urs. :cool:

16. D_Kerry_N_Ashon

D_Kerry_N_Ashon New Member

I usually don't notice if a guy is "good-looking" until somebody points it out. Once somebody points it out, I can usually see it.

I will say this though, it is MUCH easier for a regular guy like myself, to meet girls if they have "good-looking" guys in their posse. I have a couple of friends that girls simply gush over, its ALWAYS a good time to go places with them because they attract girls like moths to a flame. So it's to our benefit to realize these things.

As far as "cute" guys :dunno:, I don't even understand the terminology. Seems like an oxymoron.

#16 D_Kerry_N_Ashon, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  17. Principessa

Gold Member

I think you are one of those gay men that needs to believe that all men, even 100% straight ones are just a little bit gay. It's just not true. :cool:

I found a pic of that Billy Currington person, of whom I had never heard before. Yeah I'd say he's hot.

Yup, that's about what I thought.

Exactly!

18. earllogjam

Gold Member

Yeah, some guys are not "my type" but I can discern academically that they are good looking.

Jude Law
    Brad Pitt
    Ryan Seacrest
    P Diddy
    Ricky Martin

19. leonceswim

leonceswim Active Member

Albums:
    i feel weird saying a guy is hot or not. lol. its just something that comes within me. when a chick says "do you think he's hot or good looking" my answers always first "i dont know?" but sometimes i say, youd probably like them, he has a good body, she likes him...

20. FATDONG

FATDONG New Member

Albums:
    honestly! a guy who is really straight, which I must say is not as common as people think, only notices the other guys looks if the guy is extremely attractive, simply because that is considered a threat, straight man by nature are insecure when it comes to beauty and youth, science has proved by the study of DNA that a man doesn't really care if the woman he dates is not intelligent and has a good personality if she is beautiful, furthermore the probability of a man leaving a healthy marriage for a younger and prettier woman is very high, because by design thats a weakness in a males DNA.

Draft saved Draft deleted