do u txt?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by exwhyzee, Apr 21, 2010.

1. exwhyzee

Gold Member

A recent study in the USA has revealed that text messaging has become the preferred mode of communication between teenagers and their friends, and that cell voice/calling has fallen to a close second. Three-quarters of those between 12-17 year-olds now own cell phones, and most of them send text-messages. In fact, the study found that more than half of teens text on a daily basis.

Other findings:

• Half of teens send 50 or more text messages a day, or 1,500 texts a month.
    • One in three send more than 100 texts a day, or more than 3,000 texts a month.
    • 15% send more than 200 texts a day, or more than 6,000 texts a month. :eek:
    • Boys typically send and receive 30 texts a day; girls typically send and receive 80 messages per day.
    • Older girls who text are the most active, with 14-17 year-old girls typically sending 100 or more messages a day or more than 3,000 texts a month.
    Some who work with teens express concern that kids are becoming less articulate and more shy...and some might be using text messaging to avoid conflict. Others use texting as a tool to communicate in private...controlling the disbursement of thoughts or observations to select people while in the company of others.

My texting frequency tends to be related to the texting preferences of those around me. If I have texting friends...then I text back. Usually it is something that is not important enough for a phone call...but worth an effort...such as being a few minutes late or letting someone know I'm thinking about them.

Do you text? Why? What information do you convey? What are your texting patterns?

Remember...don't text and drive! :mad:

2. mariamluvsEMbig

Gold Member

Albums:
    i prefer to be on the phone with someone...but i have unlimited texting on my cell for a reason... :-D

3. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    My bf and I mainly communicate via texting instead of calling. He's frequently in a meeting or talking to customers and I don't want a phone call to interrupt him. I usually text things like, "When are you coming home?"

If I want to speak to him on the phone, I text him about calling and he texts me back, then we speak on the phone. I never leave him voicemail. It's much more efficient to just text something like, "Call me. I need to talk to you about..."

He's on a business trip and he drunk texted me the other day after he called and didn't get me on the phone, "Love call for you. No answer. Infinite sadness."

My dad texts a lot. He texts like a 13-yr-old, like this parental nag, "Ever go 2 dr 4 checkup? I lv u."

He's told me that he'll text his wife when they're on opposite sides of the house when he has a question for her. I do the same thing with the bf if one of us is upstairs and the other is downstairs. I'll text things like "Are you hungry? Do you want to get some dinner?"

A few of my friends only text. Some of my friends mainly communicate via Facebook using their phones, and I use my phone to communicate with them on Facebook. I think it qualifies as texting, the method is just slightly different.

4. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I text anyone who can check their text messages. Petite and i have a similar text relationship with our men

5. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Texting is cheap (usually free depending on plans) and efficient [enough], so it's the preferred way of getting into contact with people.

I still make phone calls, but only if I urgently need to speak to someone or make plans.

6. D_Budd_Hert

D_Budd_Hert New Member

IDK ? I gs I du ......itz easier then tlking on the ph when U dont rly wnt 2 ......U cn make xcus'z easier or just stop txting ......TTYL 4 now......MUAH Xcccc

7. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    I text somewhat often, though my phone is a bit of a bastard; a few people are unable to text me.

8. Viking_UK

Gold Member

It depends on what what I've got to say and who to. If I just have a short message for someone who I know will keep me talking for half an hour if I call, I'll send them a text. I also use texts when it's something important but not urgent so it can be referred back to.

I've got one friend who texts rather than whispering when in company, which I think is even more rude.

9. eurotop40

Gold Member

Finally the US has caught up with the rest of the world. Text messaging has been popular for a decade in Europe, especially for teenagers. Well, the GSM system has been invented here at least 20 years ago and has become popular in the US only about 5 years ago. Innovation does not always travel one way across the big pond.

10. luka82

Gold Member

I text like crazy!!!!!

11. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Interesting study. I know that our university is looking into modernizing (if you can) our technology to accomodate the flux of request by students in sending text messages rather than emails. For faculty, especially older faculty, it is a heated debate. For those of us who are younger faculty/administrators, we are more open to the idea/concept, but still prefer emails, phone calls, etc.

Students today bring their texting language into the classroom. It is not uncommon at all now to see students communicating on board discussions using text language. I am not very familiar with it, and will confess, I hate it. Matter of fact, when a student uses text lingo for assignments, I deduct points. I never tell them this in a forward way; however, it is clearly articulated in their syllabus. As such, they need to re-learn how to read and write... Off my soap-box.

To answer your question, yes, I do text, but only when a text is sent to me. My wife and I only recently added texting to our plans and upgraded our phones to accomodate texting. We both have teenage nieces and nephews who text A LOT and it was cheaper for us to add the plan than not to.

If it is something I deem important, I make a phone call. If it is some minor, I will send the text - depending on the receipents likes/dislikes (I would never send a text to my mother; she would NOT know how to respond probably!) :) As for my texting patterns... We each get 500 text/month. I probably use about 50-75 (outgoing and incoming) per month.

12. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Same. It's cheaper and I can't be arsed phoning, lol. Also, I have to admit to groaning slightly if someone phones me back after I've just texted them. :p

PS: I hear DiscoBoy and Exwhyzee both have pretty high text drives. ;)

#12 Joll, Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2010
  13. B_Craiggers

B_Craiggers New Member

I text for short messages that I don't want to be obtrusive about.

Receiving phone calls can be annoying. There's an immediacy to them and maybe you're having dinner, or watching a TV, etc.

Text messages are less important. If someone texts me I don't feel like I have to run over and answer it. If I wanna see the message, I can also usually do so w/o losing concentration on whatever it is I'm doing at the time.

Long story short, they're more convenient for sender and receiver unless you need to stop what you're doing and have a full fledged conversation about something.

14. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, I text. Wish my mom would get into texting but she's from a different generation. She just barely learned how to email. LOL

15. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    cell phones will be found to cause brain cancer in about 10 years, and it will be the next worldwide epidemic. I'll stay texting. I hate talking on the phone, major invasion of privacy as people feel entitled to be able to get in contact with you whenever they want, simply because you own a cellular phone. And they have the nerve to get upset when you don't pick up.

16. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've texted twice in my life and don't see the need to ever do it again.

17. Mr. Bungle

Gold Member

Albums:
    I text quite a bit - when I sent my first text I thought to myself "why the HELL am I doing this..." but that feeling was quick and fleeting.

18. exwhyzee

Gold Member

My text drive has yet to be sated. Do's will get up to par when he grows up. :cool:

19. OCMuscleJock

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hate talking on the phone...always have. So I'd much rather send a text instead of talking. I only talk to two people on my phone for any period of time. If I didn't need for work or in case of emergency, I would not have a cell phone.

20. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

You should see our sext drives!:eek:

S'not what you sexted me last night.:wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted