do wanna know why i'm voting for Barack Obama?...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by galaxus, Jan 7, 2008.

1. galaxus

galaxus Member

It's just because he's black. That's it.

And if he dosen't win the primary election and Hillary does win. I'm voting for Hillary, Just because she's a woman.

See, i don't trust politicians. i don't trust my government. i really tried to get into politics, but its all just bullshit.

So i'm just hoping that an old-white-male doesn't become our new president... again

2. RideRocket

Gold Member

So what makes you think that someone being black or a female is going to make things any different?

3. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Voting for someone on the colour of their skin and not on their past performance and what their policies will be is a stupid way to vote.

4. Irish

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    And people are stupid. What do you expect?

5. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

I expect ppl to know who they are voting for, for their merits and past experience, to know their policys, not their gender or skin color.

Its everyones civic duty!

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Welcome and enjoy the group!

7. camper joe

Gold Member

I vote for the candidate who polices and concerns are the closest to mine.

8. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

of course, being black prevented those two tokens on the Bush cabinet from lying to us about the need to invade Iraq! and the country is much better off for having them there!

9. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

I hate to somewhat agree but people are like sheep being lead by the media to their slaughter.

The leading candidate on the democratic side have at the most 6 years of past federal political experience. The republcians except for a couple aren't much better off; so I am guessing superficial things like color of skin and looks will help voters decide.

10. B_Italian1

B_Italian1 New Member

I still can't decide who to vote for, but I can't in good conscience vote for Obama. I don't feel he has enough experience to lead the country at this time in history. That's not to say I wouldn't vote for him the future. Not all of our presidents make it their first time out.

11. frgman

frgman New Member

Albums:
    I am voting for BO. Not because he is Black. I believe in what he stands for. (He's not totally Black anyway, LOL) Change also is an important factor to me. Listen to the candidates with your heart and ears, forget what they look like. Looks can only disappoint you.

12. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is a bit embarrassing the the country so far has only had presidents of British ancestry (at least their surnames), excepting the Roosevelts, an aristocratic New Amsterdam family.

What I hear from Obama are well worn platitudes about change, nothing of substance. He does not support full equal rights for Gay people. (neither does Hillary)

13. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh good, I thought it was the colour setting on my tv that was out.

14. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not to nit-pick, but Kennedy, being Irish, is pretty far from British; and at this point in history, no major candidate will come out in favor of full equality.

Obama gives me hope that the US can return to the country I grew up in.

15. B_AZBiGuy

B_AZBiGuy New Member

check out glassbooth.org

It gives you the chance to take a short quiz to match up your beliefs and stances on issues of importance with those of the candidates to find out which match most closely. It certainly opened my eyes!

16. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Is it cos 'e is black?

*Reads first post*

Oh, it is...

17. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was hoping to op was going to say "because he represents (for him) a fresh break from the mainstream politicians" (I'm not saying that Obama is), or that the candidate gives him "a sense of trust and confidence in his ability and integrity" (and I'm not necessarily saying that Obama is worthy of that).

I was hoping he was going to give just about any reason other than because Obama is black. Race or gender should NEVER be a reason to vote for a candidate, nor against one.

18. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed, voting for someone BECAUSE they are a certain race is just as stupid is voting against someone for the same reason.

19. galaxus

galaxus Member

i took the quiz.

Dennis Kucinich 74%

Hillary and Barack were 68%

Ron Paul 49% (my lowest)

I understand everybody disagreeing with my reasons. that's ok.

maybe i'm wrong/nieve but I just don't feel Bush is in control of this country. he's just the face of the people who are in control, the Replublican Party.

It seems this year the Dems are gonna take back the country. And to me, it doesn't matter which Democratic canidate wins. They're all going in the same direction. So why not break down barriers and elect a black man or a white woman as president?

20. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    Irish is certainly not far from British, the people Scotland is named for came from Ireland, the people of Ireland speak and write almost entirely English. Most of the culture and history is in common.

I have not forgotten about Kennedy, or McKinley or Buchanan.

That he was Catholic not Protestant was a first, and was disturbing to some protestants at the time. (Not being a Christian, that is irrelevant to me.)

The Kennedy's emigrated around 1850, when the entire Island of Ireland was politically part of the UK, JFK's father was FDR's ambassador the the court of St. James, and a Harvard graduate, (as he was) and was certainly part of the establishment.

The term if most restrictively applied refers to the Welsh (Prythein) only, the English until four hundred years ago used it so.

The term 'British Isles' broadly used includes all the Islands, except the Channel Islands, not just the largest one. Some are even farther away.

If you were to teach a course in British literature, would you exclude Irish writers? I don't think so.

The Irish being Celtic are perhaps more British than the English, who are Teutonic.

I am not unaware that citizens of the Republic of Ireland use the term in a restricted sense to refer to their neighbors who are represented in the parliament at Westminster.

(tic, tic, tic, until Manly Banisters jumps all over me:eek:)

Draft saved Draft deleted