Do we have a right to see the Abu Graib pictures?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Drifterwood, May 28, 2009.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Abu Ghraib abuse photos 'show rape' - Telegraph

Snippet

Maj Gen Taguba, who retired in January 2007, said... “These pictures show torture, abuse, rape and every indecency.

“I am not sure what purpose their release would serve other than a legal one and the consequence would be to imperil our troops, the only protectors of our foreign policy, when we most need them, and British troops who are trying to build security in Afghanistan.

“The mere description of these pictures is horrendous enough, take my word for it.”

I wonder though if those who support the actions in Iraq (and elsewhere) should look at these images and bear them in mind and perhaps understand what some of their consequences may be and the attitudes of those who do not consider us liberators.

I wonder also whether exposure would force those responsible to be held to proper account.

Perhaps they should appear in future history text books.

2. pym

pym New Member

This should probably be posted in the politics thread......i DO try to keep my thoughts on such matters 'OVER THERE', but i agree with you 100% on this matter. Although if those photos are in the history books, they must be equally shown side by side with every other known documented case of torture too. Regardless of who commited it.

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I only mean with regard to the Iraq campaign's history, or more widely the post 9/11 situation.

I don't think that this is a political issue. I think that it is ethical.

#3 Drifterwood, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  4. Drifterwood

Gold Member

It doesn't surprise me that this thread has attracted little response. What went on in AG is indefensible.

The suppression of information does politicise history despite the good Major General's stock answer. National security, didn't you know. Well perhaps if POW's weren't raped and tortured, we wouldn't have to worrry about immediate and future repercussions.

Personally, I don't need to see these pictures, as having seen the smiling faces of the torturers in previous pictures, I can take his word for it being horrendous.

I remember graphiclly our lessons at school on the Holocaust. The images and films that we were shown (at 15 I think) left an indelible impression on my mind. Images really bring things home to people and change or form their mindset. So for me this is a question of our willingness to agree that what has happened is totally unacceptable and should not be tolerated now or in the future.

In fact, why doesn't Obama preempt this and apologise now?

#4 Drifterwood, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted