Do WikiLeaks imitators put your e-mail at risk?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SilverTrain, Mar 1, 2011.

1. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    [I was going to put this in the Politics section, but I think it really belongs here. Feel free to move it to wherever is deemed appropriate.]

Last year, I had expressed my disdain for Wikileaks, and this is certainly one of the primary areas of concern.

Do WikiLeaks imitators put your e-mail at risk?

I imagine that members here would prefer to not have their emails publicized. Especially the ones with the literary ode to [insert exotic taboo here], or the ones with photo attachments featuring leather harnesses, orgasmic response, faces in close proximity to phalluses, etc...

There's also the mundane stuff such as credit card numbers, family names, addresses, names of mistresses, employment details, etc...

It gives me pause.

2. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, wikileaks isn't going after the public's personal details. So if there are any imitators, I shouldn't imagine you're any less secure now than before the site existed.

3. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
  4. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Perhaps a reading of the article...

5. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Wikileaks, the people who pass them information and the group who hacked HBGary are all separate entities. And the emails that were published were not anything to do with Wikileaks, they were as a direct result of Aaron Barr threatening a group of hackers.

The article also seems to be suggesting that they publicised them due to the existence of a "web site similar to Wikileaks", though no one who knows anything about ThePirateBay (a bittorrent tracker) could really call it similar to Wikileaks and besides, there are like a thousand other ways they could have made them just as public anyway.

And in addition to that, there aren't any examples of what they are suggesting. They've merely got McAfee (an e-security company) and some guy who has just recently released some scare-mongering book about how hackers have turned the internet into a kind of wild west to tell us all that recent events have unleashed a biblical swarm of creedless hackers just itching to tell the world you're signed up to LPSG and ohdidImentionyoucanreadmoreinmynewbook...

There's just nothing of substance in that link at all.

6. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    You protest an awful lot.

7. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

The group Anonymous( mentioned in the article) are a real threat too your safety and security. Their main intention is too steal your private information. Credit cards, names and addresses. Anything they can get their hands on. They are evil. Even posting a persons private information. In some cases sending threatening letters too the victim. If i get a email from someone ( or a advert) and i don't know them, i delete it. I will pull up some more information on them. They are nothing more than internet terrorists. Thanx, SilverTrain for posting this.

#7 Mr. Snakey, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted